New D90 owner! - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old April 21st, 2013, 05:43 PM
1995 SW #487/500
Originally Posted by GuamPilot View Post
I am also a new D-90 owner. I've acquired several manuals both paper and electronic.

I just looked in my PDF copy of the "R380 Manual Gearbox Overhaul Manual." It lists the fluid as "ATF M2C33 F or G"

Is that not automatic transmission fluid? I've found the same thing listed for the LT77.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Use Redline MTL

Poor gas mileage gets you to the best places on earth
Old April 22nd, 2013, 02:20 AM
1995 NAS D90
Josh, I thought about salvaging it as a bikini top as well. The top got shredded on its way over here from, you guessed it, NJ There was a tear in the top when they left and 3000 miles on the back of an open car carrier took its tole. By the way, where is the best place to get the braided oil lines?

Thanks Steve. Yeah no major shards at all. I'll be sure to remove them once I get a chance. I don't get to work on it during the week. Work always seems to get in the way, doesn't it?

This particular series truck has been in our family for about 5 years now. When we got it, it was idling rough, wouldn't go into third gear, and there was a hornets nest in the roof vents. Just a few of the items on the list of things to fix. Since we got our hands on it we've given it some TLC without a full restoration. It was even in last year's Hot August Nights Parade. Recently we've removed the engine and transmission. My dad's got a replacement set up coming in with a different gear ratio to improve its daily drive characteristics.

Jeff, wish I could make it but that's a bit far at the moment. Although, I do drive through Auburn several times a year on my way to some of our favorite camp grounds near Bowman Lake.

Ok, here is an update on my progress.

I completed all the services on the diffs, xfer case, transmission as well as the engine oil and filter change. I gotta say, that took me A LOT longer than I expected. What would have taken me one afternoon/evening on my Cherokee took two on my D90. I'm pretty sure that I'll be able to do it much more quickly next time though.

I recall a thread with a rube goldberg approach to changing the oil and it involving a lot of swearing. I can't say that it was far off. The hardest part for me was accessing the fill plug on the transfer case as well as trying my darndest to not get oil everywhere as I pumped it in.

Some new items popped up on my to do list as well:

- Adjust the hand brake
- replace the fuel filter
- replace the radiator - (As I gained access to the radiator by removing the grill I noticed that it was so far gone that the lightest touch would feather away all of the fins. It's a loss)
- fix the front right turn signal
- replace gauge cluster bulbs with LEDs.

The best part was I was finally able to start her up and take her for a short lap around the parking lot outside the shop. Didn't even get out of first gear but wanted to check to see how the oil held up and weather or not the she ran hot. Everything was fine. Purred like a kitten. All in all, a good weekend of work.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

90, d90