Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 24th, 2012, 12:01 AM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
New All-Mountain Bike, Opinions?

So i know a bunch of you guys are mtn bikers, and i really don't want a flame war on MTBR and am too lazy to post on other sites, so i was wondering what you guys like for all mountain style riding?

Right now I'm in the $1000-$1300 range for a used one and looking at Giant Reigns and Specialized Enduros, wondering if there is any other bikes i should be looking for? Sticking to 26" wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 24th, 2012, 08:39 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

http://www.santacruzbicycles.com
Old December 24th, 2012, 08:54 AM
usadventureracing
Brett

I am selling a titanium lightspeed for 500 plus shipping. Nothing wrong just too many bikes. The frame size is M/L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 24th, 2012, 09:08 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by usadventureracing View Post
I am selling a titanium lightspeed for 500 plus shipping. Nothing wrong just too many bikes. The frame size is M/L
what model?
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old December 24th, 2012, 12:03 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Johns - what are your local trails like? What are you riding now, and to add to that what do you like and don't like about you current bike? What terrain and style of riding do you like - climbs, downhills, drops, jumps, techy, buff? Do you want a do it all rig or something job specific?
Old December 24th, 2012, 12:29 PM
JohnsD90
John

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
Johns - what are your local trails like? What are you riding now, and to add to that what do you like and don't like about you current bike? What terrain and style of riding do you like - climbs, downhills, drops, jumps, techy, buff? Do you want a do it all rig or something job specific?
What I've been doing lately is get a little more rocky and technical, but i like smaller drops and milder downhill, (i plan on hitting that place in queens a few times a year), but i want a bike that i can bring to mountain creek once or twice a year and not die on, i currently have an 05 Specialized FSR XC with a bunch of mods, but i am gonna sell that. We just got my father a used '12 Giant Reign 1 off pink bike for christmas and i'm really liking that bike but i was wondering what i should open too also.

Brett, thanks but I'm trying to stay away from hard tails haha, my friend has a light speed frame for his road bike!
Old December 26th, 2012, 08:32 PM
JohnsD90
John

Registry
Looks like I'm getting a 2010 Giant Reign 2, pics to follow.
Old December 26th, 2012, 08:43 PM
andrewnyc
Andrew
1965 Series IIa 109

Registry
If you're already driving to QNS...and you're into rocky terrain & short downhill sections, you should really check out (if you haven't already) Sprain Brook Park near Yonkers or Blue Mountain Park near Peekskill. In the city, there's Highbridge Park (near Inwood), though the trails are short (but super technical in spots, with a separate freeride run). You can also check out the super rocky (but still mostly XC) spots in northern NJ like Ringwood or Waywayanda.

And because the post was originally about equipment, and if you're open to carbon frames, the Ibis Mojo line and the Scott Spark line both have super light options...just my $.02.

- Andrew
Old December 26th, 2012, 08:48 PM
JohnsD90
John

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewnyc View Post
If you're already driving to QNS...and you're into rocky terrain & short downhill sections, you should really check out (if you haven't already) Sprain Brook Park near Yonkers or Blue Mountain Park near Peekskill. In the city, there's Highbridge Park (near Inwood), though the trails are short (but super technical in spots, with a separate freeride run). You can also check out the super rocky (but still mostly XC) spots in northern NJ like Ringwood or Waywayanda.

And because the post was originally about equipment, and if you're open to carbon frames, the Ibis Mojo line and the Scott Spark line both have super light options...just my $.02.

- Andrew
Nice! You ride blue mountain? I grew up in montrose there but never learned the trails well, I'll head down to sprain brook park after work one saturday and check that out. Thanks for the list! Wierdly I do go to waywayanda more than you would think so I'll check out the trails there too.
Old December 26th, 2012, 09:04 PM
andrewnyc
Andrew
1965 Series IIa 109

Registry
I've ridden Sprain Ridge & Blue Mountain (and Graham Hills near Pleasantville) more times than I can count. My interests skew heavily to the XC racer end (but on trails technical & rocky, but rideable). I don't know the trails at Waywayanda as well (I've raced there a number of times, but the course is always marked for the event), but there should be good trail info online......www.jorba.com, and www.wmba.org for Westchester trail info. I know guys at a shop local to Sprain Brook Park that lead rides, if you want someone to show you the way.

- Andrew

------ Follow up post added December 26th, 2012 09:06 PM ------

make that www.jorba.org
Old December 26th, 2012, 09:06 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:

- Andrew
Have you signed up to NYC boost club? You can get your membership application from Josh ... Highbridge park was full of glass, trash and syringes when I went 5 years ago. I spend most weekends at stillwell ...
Old December 26th, 2012, 09:14 PM
JohnsD90
John

Registry
Quote:
I've ridden Sprain Ridge & Blue Mountain (and Graham Hills near Pleasantville) more times than I can count. My interests skew heavily to the XC racer end (but on trails technical & rocky, but rideable). I don't know the trails at Waywayanda as well (I've raced there a number of times, but the course is always marked for the event), but there should be good trail info online......www.jorba.com, and www.wmba.org for Westchester trail info. I know guys at a shop local to Sprain Brook Park that lead rides, if you want someone to show you the way.

- Andrew

------ Follow up post added December 26th, 2012 09:06 PM ------

make that www.jorba.org
I've rode graham hills a few times this summer.

Jason, we gonna do a boost club ride in the French alps this year?
Old December 26th, 2012, 09:16 PM
willhahn24
William
1995 D90 SW #450

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
Have you signed up to NYC boost club? You can get your membership application from Josh ... Highbridge park was full of glass, trash and syringes when I went 5 years ago. I spend most weekends at stillwell ...
Do you bring the 90 to Stillwell?
Old December 26th, 2012, 09:18 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90 View Post
I've rode graham hills a few times this summer.

Jason, we gonna do a boost club ride in the French alps this year?
Sure ... it's a bit brutal ... 2 or 3 1000m climbs per day ... we don't use lifts ....

------ Follow up post added December 26th, 2012 09:19 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhahn24 View Post
Do you bring the 90 to Stillwell?
yep ...
Old December 26th, 2012, 09:28 PM
andrewnyc
Andrew
1965 Series IIa 109

Registry
We did a lot of work building the original trails at Highbridge before they opened (must've been 5 years ago...), bags & bags of trash, glass, syringes (and lotso poison oak)...unfortunately it still gets that way if it's not maintained religiously. The NYCMTB club has some renewed energy as of late, and I hear that they're working on getting the trails cleaned up again. If they do, they certainly earn a beer or 10, but the trails still top out at about 2.5 miles (including some paved sidewalk...). It's tough to get a lot of support behind a system that is so limited...

I've done a bit of riding in the Alps....but only on skinny tires, though have some MTB connections in La Grave (on the back side of l'Alpe d'Huez), which would certainly be a good time (there are some seriously long DH/AM runs out there).

- Andrew
Old December 26th, 2012, 09:43 PM
willhahn24
William
1995 D90 SW #450

yep ...[/QUOTE]

No kidding, I'll have to keep an eye out for the 90. Syosset or Woodbury?
Old December 26th, 2012, 10:00 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
We did a lot of work building the original trails at Highbridge before they opened (must've been 5 years ago...), bags & bags of trash, glass, syringes (and lotso poison oak)...unfortunately it still gets that way if it's not maintained religiously. The NYCMTB club has some renewed energy as of late, and I hear that they're working on getting the trails cleaned up again. If they do, they certainly earn a beer or 10, but the trails still top out at about 2.5 miles (including some paved sidewalk...). It's tough to get a lot of support behind a system that is so limited...

I've done a bit of riding in the Alps....but only on skinny tires, though have some MTB connections in La Grave (on the back side of l'Alpe d'Huez), which would certainly be a good time (there are some seriously long DH/AM runs out there).

- Andrew
I've ridden Les Gets, Morzine, Avoriaz mainly ... I did the world cup downhill track on my XC bike about 5 years ago ... that was fun! ;-)

so do you have a defender yet or did you sign up for the amazing social scene?
Old December 26th, 2012, 10:27 PM
andrewnyc
Andrew
1965 Series IIa 109

Registry
Have been a Defender fan for years...working on the Defender acquisition...have finally worked out an acceptable parking situation in the city (has not been easy).

Are you familiar with the cycling "social" scene in NYC? Looking forward to diversification.

Les Gets, eh? That's on the list, for sure!
Old December 27th, 2012, 08:41 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Have been a Defender fan for years...working on the Defender acquisition...have finally worked out an acceptable parking situation in the city (has not been easy).

Are you familiar with the cycling "social" scene in NYC? Looking forward to diversification.

Les Gets, eh? That's on the list, for sure!
I don't know any other cyclists ... :-(
Old December 27th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Mpfish82
Mike
'94 AA Yellow D-90 #690

Registry
Go with the Giant Reign with XT package if you are going big manufacturer. If you can snag a used Yeti ASR-5 Carbon or aluminum version then that's what I would go with. It is an amazing mtb! Very light for climbing but feels complete control and plush when descending. Ride the yeti out in Las Vegas - Boulder city.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
mount