SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2637139361.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	356.6 KB
ID:	93220

Two new full-size black Rangies in front of me the other day....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 28th, 2014, 06:18 PM
DOX
Eric Doxey
1995 Defender 90

Registry
http://www.egmcartech.com/2014/04/22...-on-new-model/

More off road biased version of the new Disco
Old April 28th, 2014, 07:00 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Meh, I'll wait to see what they come up with before passing judgement.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 28th, 2014, 08:03 PM
Roverenvy
Michael
1994 Defender 90

Registry
When I was working at LRNA in Irvine, Gerry's office wasn't too far from mine. Nice guy, and a great sense of style….which works well with Aston Martin and Jaguar. But the closet Gerry's come to a dirt road, let a lone any off-roading, is the Land Rover test course. You can see from the styling, the brand is turning more towards refined urban dwellers, than outdoor enthusiasts. With the new EU standards, the last markets that made the business case for Defenders has died. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
Old April 28th, 2014, 08:12 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Personally, I like it for the most part. The parts I don't like are the forward slash C pillar, the rear wheel arch, and the f***ing rims. That pillar could have easily been straight and looked more Rover and less Ford Explorer, the rear wheel arch is awkward and makes it look like the rear wheel has nowhere to go(it may allow for significant movement but it looks fudged), and the last thing I want when I finally buy a $50k+ automobile new are tires that have no sidewall and are hard riding for "performance" and "bling". Big rims piss me off.
Old April 28th, 2014, 08:13 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverenvy View Post
When I was working at LRNA in Irvine, Gerry's office wasn't too far from mine. Nice guy, and a great sense of style….which works well with Aston Martin and Jaguar. But the closet Gerry's come to a dirt road, let a lone any off-roading, is the Land Rover test course. You can see from the styling, the brand is turning more towards refined urban dwellers, than outdoor enthusiasts. With the new EU standards, the last markets that made the business case for Defenders has died. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
They have offices along with all of the other "big guys" there in that row in Irvine? I thought they were pretty much exclusively up in the Northeast.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 28th, 2014, 09:26 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
Yeah, we were talking about this at work. This gives Gerry McGovern a .500 average.... Evoque and new RRS are out of the park, but DC100 and now the Discovery Concept are not looking so hot.

There are things I DO like about the concept. The glass roof with very large LED lights on top are bonus. A fold down front seat would be great when I am sleeping in the back and not using the roof top tent. The Tesla-esque all-glass center console is nice... but the touch screen steering wheel controls are not.

In the end, while I appreciate that legislation in both the US and EU are driving the facts of modern vehicle design (fuel efficiency via aerodynamics and pedestrian safe fronts), I should not be getting the instant feeling that I am looking at a Ford Explorer.

who made this guy a moderator?

I talked to a lady with a new super charged range, she said she traded her H2 in on the RR. She liked the RR said it was very comfortable, had to add nerf bars because it was so high. Miss lady said she did miss her H2 said the rr was "prissy". I suggested she take it through the woods and get some scratches and dents.
Old April 28th, 2014, 10:04 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
who made this guy a moderator?

I talked to a lady with a new super charged range, she said she traded her H2 in on the RR. She liked the RR said it was very comfortable, had to add nerf bars because it was so high. Miss lady said she did miss her H2 said the rr was "prissy". I suggested she take it through the woods and get some scratches and dents.
I am not even sure what this is supposed to mean. So the lady who had a RR didn't understand it was still off road capable? The RR was too "prissy" meaning the cooled seats were not was she was accustomed to in an H2?

Normally I wouldn't give a shit, but since you decided to get personal and basically say I shouldn't be a mod now I am strangely curious.

My original post was to posit that the Evoque and RRS perfectly met the target demographic, while the DC100 and "Discovery 5" were way off the mark. So, 2 right and 2 wrong = .500 average.

Old April 28th, 2014, 11:40 PM
Roverenvy
Michael
1994 Defender 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
They have offices along with all of the other "big guys" there in that row in Irvine? I thought they were pretty much exclusively up in the Northeast.
Sadly the Irvine offices are no more, and LR has moved back to New Jersey. But back in the day the building was quite a site to behold. Each floor decorated as a different brand. Land Rover, (dark walnut, british racing green and leather) Jaguar, Volvo, Lincoln, and a corner for Aston Martin. The design studios were (and might be) still next door. Anyone driving up the 405/5 split at Irvine. Don't get me wrong, I still love the styling but a Defender is sacred!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
cover, disco, discovery