Need some input: Ceiling hoist. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 23rd, 2006, 08:36 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Need some input: Ceiling hoist.

I'm looking into building something to store my fiberglass top up in the ceiling area of my garage, i built a cradle for it, but I've come to the realization the only safe way to get it up there would be some kind of hand winch... so i used the one tool that never fails (google) and found this http://www2.northerntool.com/product/298135_298135.htm, the price is right, but i have to wonder will it be able to lift up vertically the weight of the entire fiberglass roof, upper corners and rear hatch? I figure once i get it up there i'd tie it off and not let the weight sit on the winch so the brake wouldn't hold it all the time... any comments or suggestions of other products to use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 23rd, 2006, 10:43 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

I'm gonna use a block and tackle and tie it off with a cleat screwed into a stud for my Series shed.
Old April 23rd, 2006, 10:56 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNY
I'm gonna use a block and tackle and tie it off with a cleat screwed into a stud for my Series shed.
the primary reason for going with this style would be that it allows for a "controlled" descent, i don't want to think about replacing the glass and broken fiberglass parts, i'm already broke!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 23rd, 2006, 11:19 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

sure--just leave a wrap around the cleat and it will be controlled. Or, if one person job, throw an ascender or clove hitch on it...That failing to amuse you, buy a cheap winch and use it. You can get a used suv winch for $100.
Old April 24th, 2006, 07:50 AM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis
sure--just leave a wrap around the cleat and it will be controlled. Or, if one person job, throw an ascender or clove hitch on it...That failing to amuse you, buy a cheap winch and use it. You can get a used suv winch for $100.
the problem with the used suv/boat winches is that they are mostly 12 volt and would require me buying a converter, which would probably cost more then the winch...

I'm going to stop by the local boat store and see what i can rig up from there, other wise i'll probably order one of those.
Old April 24th, 2006, 09:31 AM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

I think you would have a heck of a time lifting with the "hand winch" and are you sure it has a controlled descent.

Will you have the Defender in the garage when you lift the top off and on? If so there is your 12V's.
Old April 24th, 2006, 10:02 AM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffer
I think you would have a heck of a time lifting with the "hand winch" and are you sure it has a controlled descent.

Will you have the Defender in the garage when you lift the top off and on? If so there is your 12V's.
I'll be honest i've only operated a few hand operated boat trailer style hand crank lifts, while not providing braking control you did could control the release of line by "back cranking"?

If you saw my garage setup it would be obvious that using my defender as a power source would not be simple, I'd probably have to use a 20 foot set of jumper cables and that would just barely be enough... so back to the drawing board, maybe i will look into the block and tackle method, i need to find a good boat supply store around me...
Old April 24th, 2006, 09:52 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

I broke down and bought a one ton come along that had enough slack to get the thing all the way to the ceiling in one shot, then i tied it off, i guess i was making things too complicated...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat