Need help with lr3 brakes. It's getting late in day - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 27th, 2013, 01:19 PM
phunter
phunter
1993 NAS 110

Need help with lr3 brakes. It's getting late in day

hopefully someone can help I am attempting to change parking brake shoes along with pads rotors on 07 lr 3. Independent shop did it months ago and did not adjust parking brake. So j got parking brake screech and failure.
Before starting I attempted to disengage parking brake as per bible handout. All I could get was parking brake failure on dash

Now I have put new shoes on the l right and I cannot get new rotor on. The shoe not attached to the cable rubs. I have the adjuster in all the way. What can I do. Put the old shoes back on and limp yo the dealer seems like my only option. I have used a rubber hammer with no avail

Thanks to anyone with quick advice

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 27th, 2013, 04:57 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
You probably just don't have the shoes perfectly centered. You might have to tap on the shoes lightly to reposition them. Sometimes it take a few tries to get it lined up properly.

------ Follow up post added October 27th, 2013 04:59 PM ------

The other possibility is that the cable did not fully release and a manual release will not work. for this you will need a diagnostic computer to release it. FWIW I think a Snap On scanner will do it.
Old October 27th, 2013, 09:17 PM
phunter
phunter
1993 NAS 110

I think I didn't have the main spring seated properly. I took it down and reassembled it and it was much more snug.
Thank you Jimmy for your quick response.
I used a torque wrench as per the bible handout and did not need to Rachet any on the adjuster. The torque wrench was set to 60 nm. Is this atypical not to hafta adjust anything?
Should i attempt to bed the parking brakes per the bible handout. Or should I try to never touch the parking brake? Does the dealer do anything computer wise at this point.

Thanks again for any knowledge. I do not want my wife to say dealer knows best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 27th, 2013, 10:46 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
I don't know what you are using a torque wrench on, but the manual is incorrect if I remember correctly and they published a bulletin with the procedure on the way to properly adjust the parking brake. Basically you need to tighten the adjuster almost al the way (you should not be able to turn it by holding the lug studs) then back the adjuster off one full revolution, which should be about 8 clicks. I usually tighten it until it stops and then back off the adjuster 10 clicks. Once you have done this, loosen the 4mm allen bolt on the brake shoe about a half turn and hit the rotor (not the braking surface) with a hammer twice. The last thing you will need to do is follow the bed-in procedure, which is definitely necessary, especially if your vehicle is under warranty.
Old October 29th, 2013, 11:03 PM
phunter
phunter
1993 NAS 110

Im not sure if I have things adjusted well enough. I think I have too much drag on the rotors which makes me wonder if I have an actuator issue. I think this would lead to the parking brake shoes to stick out and cause the drag to be there.

Do you guys think its best to drive the 15 miles to the dealer or should I trailer it. Can you wreck new rotors pads in 15 miles if the Parking shoes are rubbing?

I wanted to do the front wheel bearings and tie rods as well but my confidence is waning. How hard is this job? Any and all suggestions or comments are much appreciated.
Old October 29th, 2013, 11:09 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by phunter View Post
Im not sure if I have things adjusted well enough. I think I have too much drag on the rotors which makes me wonder if I have an actuator issue. I think this would lead to the parking brake shoes to stick out and cause the drag to be there.

Do you guys think its best to drive the 15 miles to the dealer or should I trailer it. Can you wreck new rotors pads in 15 miles if the Parking shoes are rubbing?

I wanted to do the front wheel bearings and tie rods as well but my confidence is waning. How hard is this job? Any and all suggestions or comments are much appreciated.
Your actuator could have been damaged from the cable overheating. How much is it dragging?

Those are pretty easy to do if you have the right tools and know how to use them. I think LR3's are much easier to work on than Defenders.
Old October 29th, 2013, 11:35 PM
phunter
phunter
1993 NAS 110

I put regular rachet on center wheel nut and it turns but not with just 2 fingers turning it. This is with both wheels off and rear end on stands and truck in neutral
Old October 30th, 2013, 08:01 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Is that with adjuster backed all the way off?
Old October 30th, 2013, 09:42 AM
phunter
phunter
1993 NAS 110

Yes it is backed all the way in. I reused the springs and holding clips but they seem okay. I am stuck
Old October 30th, 2013, 10:27 AM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Front wheel bearings are not hard because you have to buy the entire hub with the WB already pressed. Just rent the puller from a auto parts store. Search for LR3 hub on here and I have some pics up.

You may also have a bunch of crud inside your e brake drum/mechanism from use and/or failure. I always blow out that area with air to get rid of all the dust and particles and it helps free up everything. And if you are indeed stuck, trailer the truck. Even a 1/4 mile will ruin more moving components; been there done that.

Oh, and I had to tap my disc onto the parking brake shoes with a rubber hammer. I adjusted the brake after that. It was a tight fit...
Old October 30th, 2013, 12:32 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Yes it is backed all the way in. I reused the springs and holding clips but they seem okay. I am stuck
New springs and clips should have come with the shoes. I would definitely put the new springs and clips in because the heat damages them when the brakes lock up.

I think you may want to take the truck to someone if you have it backed out all the way, something doesn't sounds right. I'm guessing the parking brake isn't fully released, which you will need SDD to do.

I suggest you trailer it as well.
Old November 28th, 2013, 08:24 PM
phunter
phunter
1993 NAS 110

Parking brake issues

the problem according to the dealer was that the parking brake shoes I got at Atlantic British were too thick and the rotor also purchased at Atlantic British was too shallow.

These aftermarket parts would not allow the adjuster to be adjusted. This was my problem at home and at the dealer.
The dealer mechanic could not use the AB rotor with their thinner parking brake shoe. The only way he could get it to work was with both new LR parts. He wanted me show me the differences with his caliper but I couldn't get away from work.

Has anyone had a similar experience with aftermarket parts? Will Atlantic British care about my misfortune? Has Atlantic British changed any of their suppliers?
Old November 28th, 2013, 10:00 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Quote:
the problem according to the dealer was that the parking brake shoes I got at Atlantic British were too thick and the rotor also purchased at Atlantic British was too shallow. These aftermarket parts would not allow the adjuster to be adjusted. This was my problem at home and at the dealer. The dealer mechanic could not use the AB rotor with their thinner parking brake shoe. The only way he could get it to work was with both new LR parts. He wanted me show me the differences with his caliper but I couldn't get away from work. Has anyone had a similar experience with aftermarket parts? Will Atlantic British care about my misfortune? Has Atlantic British changed any of their suppliers?
Didn't change parking shoe, but used aftermarket rotors from AB with no issue.
Old November 29th, 2013, 08:21 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
I've had issues with poor fit from Delphi pads on LR3's. The powder coating on the baking plate is too thick and won't allow the sensor to fit properly. I would only recommend genuine parts for the rear brakes.
Old November 29th, 2013, 08:30 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
I've had issues with poor fit from Delphi pads on LR3's. The powder coating on the baking plate is too thick and won't allow the sensor to fit properly. I would only recommend genuine parts for the rear brakes.
Interesting side note, I've done LR3 brakes twice lately, and both times the "genuine" pads (BNIB) came with Ferodo pads inside. Seems that is what is being used for genuine these days, no reason one couldn't buy elsewhere.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old November 29th, 2013, 10:41 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Interesting side note, I've done LR3 brakes twice lately, and both times the "genuine" pads (BNIB) came with Ferodo pads inside. Seems that is what is being used for genuine these days, no reason one couldn't buy elsewhere.
They are made by Ferodo, but that does not mean that the Ferodo ones you get from an aftermarket are going to be exactly the same as the Genuine ones.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
brake, lr3