Need help tonight- windscreen install (Stafford VA) - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 30th, 2014, 08:28 PM
Matt_110
Matt

Leave it to me to wait until the last minute to ask for help so I realize this is a long shot. My auto shipper is coming a few days early and I need to get my cracked windscreen installed. Yes it's cracked, but that's all I have to make it weatherproof. Anywho, I'm in Stafford VA if anyone would like to help. I'll pay either in beer or cash. Thanks, Matt
Advertisement

Old July 30th, 2014, 09:24 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Do you have a new rubber gasket? I have tried to install one before and it can be a bit tricky. The key I found is the right size very slippery rope to help bring the gasket to the inside. I had found a vid that showed how to do it. Any good windshield shop can do it too for about $100.00.
Old July 30th, 2014, 09:29 PM
Matt_110
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Milks View Post
Do you have a new rubber gasket? I have tried to install one before and it can be a bit tricky. The key I found is the right size very slippery rope to help bring the gasket to the inside. I had found a vid that showed how to do it. Any good windshield shop can do it too for about $100.00.
I have a new seal. I just can't get it to seal on the frame...might have the seal on upside down. It's been sitting for 2years so I can't remember how it looks installed. Shipper is coming tomorrow morning so I'll be working on it all night and morning
Advertisement

Old July 30th, 2014, 09:59 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
These are a bear to do. Galpin & I wrestled for like 3 hours when we did the 110, and when I had to do the 90 I took it to a professional glass shop - it took them like 2 hours! You've got to soap the hell out of the new rubber gasket, wrap the string around, and someone pulls the string from the inside while the other person pushes (gently) from the outside. I'd offer to help, but I'm 500 miles the other direction at the moment.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old July 30th, 2014, 10:17 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

Be very, very careful with flat glass and hopefully you have a genuine Pilkington windscreen.
I had a cracked windscreen too - now two attempts later by a professional glass installer I still have a cracked windshield (non-Pilkington) - just cracked in a different spot.

He ALMOST had the second one in place when CRAAAACK. None of the windshield sources in Atlanta can get a Pilkington - the other brand is known to have issues.
Old July 30th, 2014, 11:22 PM
Matt_110
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackW View Post
Be very, very careful with flat glass and hopefully you have a genuine Pilkington windscreen. I had a cracked windscreen too - now two attempts later by a professional glass installer I still have a cracked windshield (non-Pilkington) - just cracked in a different spot. He ALMOST had the second one in place when CRAAAACK. None of the windshield sources in Atlanta can get a Pilkington - the other brand is known to have issues.
It was already cracked in a few places...just needed to get her waterproof for the move. Me and the wife finally got it installed. I'll keep her

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat