Need Help..please - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 2nd, 2005, 10:57 PM
Rover- Girl

Angry Need Help..please

formost I want to apologise for any offensive language!!!!!!!!!
But I really need to vent !!There aren't alot off places that I would even consider touching
my D90 here on the "Emerald coast", so when I found this place called "Super Truck"
I thought I hit home!I had made an appointmant to get my Mentac snorkel installed
today at 14:00 ..it was 18:00 by the time the got 2 it !!
I didn't mind waiting, because I like to just hang arround and bullshit w/the guys!
Anyway..they got to installing the snorkel and all hell broke loose !!
I had 3x so called makanics just looking at each other not having a fucking clue what to do..
they mounted the outer hardwear but are clueless as to conect the hoses..they actually took my air filter & assemply all the way out and conected the hoses to...well,I dont know, but half of my damn Airfilter was sitting on the fucking gound.
It is now 3 hours of my inital appointmant, I'am getting pisst off and letting them know!!!
I told them to NOT BOTHER hooking the damn thing up and just call it a night!!
I left in utter discust ..I notist then, that the truck was..
A: Overheating
B;my speedomotor stoped working.
I pulled in the driveway, and let my dog out.
I tried to start to go to the store and it was dead....
befor I had left the Garage, they told me that there wasn't enogh hose to install, and I should call rovers north to find out what was missing, well, they been in buissness for some 30+ years and I doupt that this was A misstake on there behalve !!!!!!!!!!!!
I really don't need anybodys grief about this shit, just try to help me out...please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 2nd, 2005, 11:11 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Sounds to me like they messed with some of the wiring when they tried to install the snorkle. When you say speedomotor you mean the speedometer right? If it's not working I bet they tugged on the speedo cable and it came out of the back of the speedometer. You also said it is overheating, if it was running fine up until this point I would think they may have unplugged some of the wires and then put them back in the wrong spot as there are a few connectors that are the same and can be mistakenly plugged in to something else, I would also guess this is why it is not starting. How soon do you need her running?
Old September 2nd, 2005, 11:20 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

To quote Douglas Adams "Don't Panic!", lets see if we can get this all sorted out for you here.

While it IS possible that some parts got left out of the kit, that's a minor issue if true. But finding out for sure should be easy if you just compare whats in the instructions to what you already have. But I think it was Mike Hippert that has photos of a REALLY nice looking install using PVC pipe on his. Lets get to the significant probems first though, before I get too off track here.

First step is getting your baby running again. Quickie checklist here to help us figure out better what's going on.
1. Headlights, radio and heater fan work?
2. When you turn the key, does it just go 'click', or does the motor turn but not run?
3. Was the snorkle the only work you were having done?
4. Got a digital camera? Maybe snap some shots of what the air filter area looks like, so we can see if anything is missing or disconnected.

For the speedometer problem, that one I find odd, did they have the dashboard off for some reason? It's really just a cable that goes from the back of the gauge itself to the transfer case. If they DIDN'T have the dashboard out, then best bet is to climb underneat and look for a loose cable under the transfer case.

The overheating, lets wait until we get it running first, so that we can better diagnose that under running conditions. But just a quickie here, was it heating up while the truck was moving? or while it was stopped like at a red light? How far up the gauge was it going compared to normal, and how quickly?

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 2nd, 2005, 11:20 PM
Rover- Girl

It's running fine now, they didn't tightend the batterie cable, this is fixed , but still, it's getting hard to trust anyone anymore
Old September 2nd, 2005, 11:24 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Like they say, "If you want it done right, you better do it yourself"

Hans, I think I know of the pics of PVC you are talking about, but currently mine is the crappy big hose running all over the engine bay.
Old September 2nd, 2005, 11:30 PM
Rover- Girl

that's what I am affaid off..I can't fix this thing myself....I don't know anybody within 300 miles that ownes one... and actually, there was NO dirrection on how to properly install this thing other than the outside setup. I can attest to that !really crappy directions.....
Old September 2nd, 2005, 11:34 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Well post up! I am sure someone here has directions, more then a few of us have installed them, and I'm sure I could round up some pics to help out too! If you need to know how to do something post up in the looking for help section, we don't goof around nearly as much over there and I don't like to let questions go unanswered even if I have to search to figure them out.
Old September 2nd, 2005, 11:59 PM
Rover- Girl

Hey, free room and board for anyone wanting to come down here
on the beautifull Emerald Coast....just fix my truck while your here
( still trying to get the go ahead from my hubby though) and by the way
hurricane seasone is almost over..........
Old September 3rd, 2005, 01:02 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Short on time but here are a few pictures... Hopefully they help.

http://www.expeditionexchange.com/D9...el/Routing.jpg

http://www.expeditionexchange.com/D90snorkel/rimmer.jpg

http://www.expeditionexchange.com/D9...l/DCP_1371.jpg
Old September 3rd, 2005, 01:14 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Glad ya got it running, a loose battery cable can really cause a lot of problems in the electrical system until it's tightened down. Still overheating and no speedo, or was that possibly a symptom caused by the battery cable?

I totally understand about not trusting mechanics, I don't as a general rule.... until they prove I can trust them. Have you ever considered maybe looking into an automotive mechanics course at a local community college or tech school? Even if you don't want to do the maintenance yourself, it helps to have the basic knowledge when dealing with mechanics as well as helping you ID the idiots a lot quicker. Also, since a lot of the systems are different than what US mechanics are used to, I've found it helpful to bring the repair manuals with me in the rare cases I DO have to bring it to somebody else.

Once you get in there and begin figuring out what does what, it starts getting easier over time. Defenders are actually fairly simple of a system, once you get past the oddball sizes on everything compared to the norms for American and Japanese cars.

-Hans

Old September 3rd, 2005, 03:30 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Here is how I approach the problem. You should have drove by with the parts for them to make a game plan before doing the work. Patience is a virtue.

JP
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	barbts 010.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	3724   Click image for larger version

Name:	barbts 011.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	3725  

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old September 3rd, 2005, 12:03 PM
Rover- Girl

Thanks guy's we got it fixed....Dave, your a lifesaver, thanks for the links
Old September 3rd, 2005, 01:26 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Schweeeet!

So, what was the problems?

-Hans

Old September 3rd, 2005, 02:27 PM
Dfndr90
Matt Wunderle
1995 Defender 90

Pendy,

Were those pictures for a 110 you just did for Kevin in Ohio. I was just wheeling with him, awesome job.

Matt...
Old September 4th, 2005, 04:22 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfndr90
Pendy,

Were those pictures for a 110 you just did for Kevin in Ohio. I was just wheeling with him, awesome job.

Matt...
Yes
Thanks

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old September 9th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Rover- Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
Schweeeet!

So, what was the problems?

-Hans
The Overheating is a mystery...never happend again....can't pinpoint.
The speedomotor , they pulled on the cable ( the cable part comming out on the other side
of the cluster ) under the hood.
Will have them install the deep water waiding kit next....maybe LOL.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat