Need Help Planning my Trip - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 11th, 2012, 11:32 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Need Help Planning my Trip

Usually I'm pretty good with this stuff but I'm over whelmed on this one and I'm turning to the D-90 crowd for advice. I am in charge of planning my families/ in laws annual summer trip. Last year I planned a Motorcycle ride From Anchorage to the Arctic circle then back to the states. Year before that.. dirt bikes from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas. stuff like that. No guides, I plan it all.

2013.. We want to incorporate 4 wheeling again. I'm debating btw. Colorado and Moab. Before you think this is easy.. not everyone can do the same thing and has different activities. I need to bring with me from NYC:

5 dirt bikes (all dual sports)
2 D-90s
4 Mt Bikes
1 Jeep
2 Paragliders
3 Golden Retrievers
Camping equipment for at least 6 people
4 ATVs
Tons of Mt climbing gear
and all the bags of stuff associated with each activity.. not to mention the tools.

Moving the stuff, I can handle. My challenge: we're looking for a place where we can all go to hang out and launch from to do activities that cater to everything listed above. Immediately, I lean towards Moab but consider i'm driving from NYC and Moab is another 4-5hours pastt Denver so assume I loose a day worth of vacation time (round trip) in extra driving. I've gone wheeling in both Colorado and Moab. Both have great trails and are beautiful but Colorado is more spread out if I recall which mean it would be difficult to 4 wheel in the morning. come back, hang at lunch switch to dirt bikes and take off on another trail that ATVs could also go on but on the next day do an 100+ mile over night off road camping type deal. Moab is great for something like that but I don't know of a similar setup in Colorado. Finally.. some people will be flying in, not everyone is driving. Getting to Moab by plane is a major bitch but flying into Denver is direct.

My only issue with Colorado.. i don't want to be packing up all the gear and moving all the time. if there is one town in Colorado that gives us access to all this then great. I'd prefer not to loose the extra day of driving (and cost of fuel of a severely overloaded Tundra towing a D-90 and 5 bikes plus gear) to get to Moab but if it's easiest accommodations wise than so be it. I have all the Fun Trek books.. but any advice would be welcome!!

Where would you go to accommodate all these factors? Assume you have 10 days.
Advertisement

Old September 11th, 2012, 11:35 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Ouray, CO
Old September 11th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

No advice on the trip, but all of that fun is going to kill you! Thats alot of stuff to carry around! Good Luck!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 11th, 2012, 11:52 AM
dlane
David Lane
1997 AA Yellow #1147

Registry
Breckenridge...
Old September 11th, 2012, 01:02 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
The climate is pretty different between Moab and towns at higher elevations in the CO Rockies. So knowing what time of year you are going to do this would help. For example, if it is July or August, you'll be a lot happier in CO than in Moab.
Old September 11th, 2012, 01:11 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflash868 View Post
I need to bring with me from NYC:

1 Joshua - rijosho - to tag along on this epic trip
5 dirt bikes (all dual sports)
2 D-90s
4 Mt Bikes
1 Jeep
2 Paragliders
3 Golden Retrievers
Camping equipment for at least 6 people
4 ATVs
Tons of Mt climbing gear
and all the bags of stuff associated with each activity.. not to mention the tools.
No advice, but I added something very important to your list. You live in NYC? How come you never come to our happy hours? Way closer than MOAB.
Old September 11th, 2012, 03:24 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Haven't been on the board in a while to be honest. Got really into bikes. Ran Baja for 3 years straight on the dirt bike and then did Alaska, arctic circle, innuvik, nwt, Yukon, bc, Alberta. Etc. on the 1200 gs this year. Whoa you think Kansas or Colorado is big... Go ride around in the Yukon and northern Canada. Makes Kansas feel like Brooklyn.

The trip will be done in July or August so I know Moab is gonna be hot. Especially for the dogs. I will look into ouray. I've been through there but I don't remember it well.
Old September 11th, 2012, 03:35 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Nice. I introduced myself to the owner of this truck recently. This guy just moved back to NYC a few weeks ago after bringing this down to the Baja to fulfil some auxiliary function 2 or 3 years in a row. He lives a block from me in the West Village now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2099708658.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	540.0 KB
ID:	57471   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1920076053.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	476.8 KB
ID:	57472  

Name:	image-7566275.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	507.8 KB
ID:	57473   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1341145050.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	520.6 KB
ID:	57474  

Old September 11th, 2012, 03:45 PM
Sergeant_V
Abel Villesca
1995 D-90 ST

Leadville or Silverton/Ouray would probably work.
Old September 11th, 2012, 04:37 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Quote:
The trip will be done in July or August so I know Moab is gonna be hot. Especially for the dogs. I will look into ouray. I've been through there but I don't remember it well.
Another downside with Moab is that the dogs aren't allowed in the NPS areas, i.e., Canyonlands NP and Arches NP.

On the other hand, they'll enjoy chasing chipmunks, marmots and pikas around in the San Juans (Ouray Silverton Telluride area).
Old September 11th, 2012, 05:47 PM
taoseno
Todd Kendrick
1995 D90 #2206 Original Owner

Registry
Yes I also agree that Silverton/Leadville would be a great base area. If you like good rum go to Silverton........Montanya Distillers. We just returned & I am quite sure they will remember our group.
'95 D90 #2206
'66 109" P/U
Old September 11th, 2012, 06:08 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

So the play area we are talking about here is the Rio Grande National Forest? I'll have to pull out the books and see what kind of trails are around there. 4 wheeling wise, we'd be looking for some advanced and challenging trails. Since we're basically in the Telluride area, my only experience is Black Bear Pass. Beautiful area though. I did notice it's only about 3.5 hours from Moab (Silverton). I wonder if there is a way to do an off road loop from the Telluride area towards Moab and back.. Garmin Topo time I guess.

See what will happen here is I will try to plan this and half the group will want to do it on bikes and the other half in trucks and I will have to plan two routes. sigh.

I do like rum so places to evaluate are:
1. Moab
2. Telluride, Silverton, Ouray areas
3. Breckinridge- now this is dead in the center of where all the 4 wheeling i've done in CO has been and it's a closer drive. Any down side to this location? It's probably more expensive i'm assuming.. Less Dirt Bike/ATV trails?

You think with ten days worth of vacation it's worth doing both Tellurideish area and Moab? I would probably iron man it straight out to Moab and then spend a few days there and start to work our way back through Colorado. Secretly.. I want to find a new job that pays twice as much and give notice at my current job right before this trip so I can throw a month at it.

------ Follow up post added September 11th, 2012 06:14 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatblanket View Post
Another downside with Moab is that the dogs aren't allowed in the NPS areas, i.e., Canyonlands NP and Arches NP.

On the other hand, they'll enjoy chasing chipmunks, marmots and pikas around in the San Juans (Ouray Silverton Telluride area).
I do remember this rule. Seems crazy to me. I don't think that's a huge hinderance though since a lot of the 4 wheeling we'd be doing isn't located in these parks. At least I think. Isn't Hells Revenge, Moab Rim, Pritchett Canyon, Porcupine Rim, White Rim Trail etc. all located outside these parks? Again.. I haven't looked at these trails guides in years.

Are the Fun Trek books the way to go? Any other sources I should check out for GPS coordinates?
Old September 11th, 2012, 09:03 PM
Sergeant_V
Abel Villesca
1995 D-90 ST

For advanced and challenging trails you'd want to base out of Leadville assuming you want to do Colorado instead of Utah. Silverton/Ouray is awesome, but other than Poughkeepsie Gulch there isn't much that is challenging in the area.
Old September 11th, 2012, 11:09 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

Saratoga Wyoming as your base. Lots of trails without the CO or Moab crowds. World class fly fishing, rodeos, trails all through Medicine Bow NF, back roads access to Steamboat springs, and surrounding areas, it's an outdoor paradise check it out.
Old September 12th, 2012, 08:52 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by discotdi View Post
Saratoga Wyoming as your base. Lots of trails without the CO or Moab crowds. World class fly fishing, rodeos, trails all through Medicine Bow NF, back roads access to Steamboat springs, and surrounding areas, it's an outdoor paradise check it out.
I'll look into it today. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old September 12th, 2012, 09:39 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
For info on wheeling and camping around Ouray, check some of the FJ Summit threads. Jump to page 12 for some of the challenging stuff.

http://gallery.ih8mud.com/thumbnails.php?album=105

http://www.fjsummit.org/
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	normal_2011_FJSummit_DSC_9622.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	57501  
Old September 12th, 2012, 09:49 AM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Quote:
So the play area we are talking about here is the Rio Grande National Forest? I'll have to pull out the books and see what kind of trails are around there. 4 wheeling wise, we'd be looking for some advanced and challenging trails. Since we're basically in the Telluride area, my only experience is Black Bear Pass. Beautiful area though. I did notice it's only about 3.5 hours from Moab (Silverton). I wonder if there is a way to do an off road loop from the Telluride area towards Moab and back.. Garmin Topo time I guess.

See what will happen here is I will try to plan this and half the group will want to do it on bikes and the other half in trucks and I will have to plan two routes. sigh.

I do like rum so places to evaluate are:
1. Moab
2. Telluride, Silverton, Ouray areas
3. Breckinridge- now this is dead in the center of where all the 4 wheeling i've done in CO has been and it's a closer drive. Any down side to this location? It's probably more expensive i'm assuming.. Less Dirt Bike/ATV trails?

You think with ten days worth of vacation it's worth doing both Tellurideish area and Moab? I would probably iron man it straight out to Moab and then spend a few days there and start to work our way back through Colorado. Secretly.. I want to find a new job that pays twice as much and give notice at my current job right before this trip so I can throw a month at it.

------ Follow up post added September 11th, 2012 06:14 PM ------

I do remember this rule. Seems crazy to me. I don't think that's a huge hinderance though since a lot of the 4 wheeling we'd be doing isn't located in these parks. At least I think. Isn't Hells Revenge, Moab Rim, Pritchett Canyon, Porcupine Rim, White Rim Trail etc. all located outside these parks? Again.. I haven't looked at these trails guides in years.

Are the Fun Trek books the way to go? Any other sources I should check out for GPS coordinates?
Of those trails only White Rim is in the NP system. Elephant Hill and the entire Maze District is also a no-no with dogs, but it doesn't sound like you're interested in a trip to the Maze anyway.

If you do Black Bear check out the Via Ferrata nearby on the way into Telluride.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
trip