Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 1st, 2016, 04:31 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Need Advice

Let me explain, then let me ask a question. The last few years have been like this...

After slowly doing some refurb and update on the IIa over the course of two years, I put it all back together and two weeks later the engine loses oil pressure, and I am back to square one.

I get a replacement engine for cheap, but it checks out. I do another tear down and engine swap, put it all back together 6 months later... wait for it.... two weeks later it is knocking and oil pressure is low. I've been using whatever spare time I have to try to diagnose and hopefully find a fix... for the last year. The engine runs really well, smooth, spunky, but... that knock.

I get the Defender, it is great, runs well for 9 months, then I pull it apart and begin the slow process of refurbing it with the 300Tdi, etc. I'm kind of stuck in the middle of that project right now.

I have a great 4.2l LWB that I picked up for the express purpose of getting me through the Defender build, then I plan on mothballing it and giving it to my son as a project for him to learn on and learn to drive on a year an a half from now...... two weeks later, it is knocking badly and I'm afraid to drive it. Doesn't start well, low oil pressure on start for a good 30 seconds. No gunk in pan or oil screen.

So, I'm stuck with three Rovers. One is stripped down to the frame on the front half. The other two do run, but... Basically, I have to sacrifice one to drive to work, while the other is getting fixed. If I don't sacrifice one or the other, I have to sacrifice the Defender project and put it off for another year (because I would be doing all the work myself now) due to my budget being blown on a rental car for a couple of weeks while I get one or the other of the RRC or IIa fixed.

If you are doing the math, you may wonder how I was getting around before I got the LWB RRC -- I had a perfect 2004 DII. In 5 years of ownership the only thing that ever went wrong with it was the ABS block. Because I got the RRC, and because it was running so well, and because I was looking at the light at the end of the tunnel on the Defender build, I sold the Disco. In hind sight... well... yeah...

What would you do?

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 1st, 2016, 04:41 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Sell/part out the LWB and focus on the Defender get that shit right then tell your son the IIa is all his and the sooner he starts to figure that shit out the sooner he will be rolling with the ladies.
Old January 1st, 2016, 04:52 PM
roverguy
Robert
1995 RRC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
Sell/part out the LWB and focus on the Defender get that shit right then tell your son the IIa is all his and the sooner he starts to figure that shit out the sooner he will be rolling with the ladies.
I say opposite, sell the IIa and keep the classic, your son will need a vehicle that can get him from point a-b at a speed faster than 50, eventually he will need to travel on the interstate. Or just go buy a thousand dollar beater to drive for a few weeks and then sell it.
2000 DII (SOLD)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 1st, 2016, 04:54 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBailey View Post
What would you do?
Luckily, I had a Lexus for years to get around in...and now a big Ford truck... while the Rover projects were under the knife.

My RR Hunter has never failed me in 10 years.

Simple fix for the LWB would be to swap in another running motor.

With an extra set of hands, a swap can be done in a weekend reasonably.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old January 1st, 2016, 05:08 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
The real question is, what are you doing wrong that is causing all your engines to fail?

Are you putting additives in your crankcase oil? Are you using ultra-thin synthetics like 0W-40 or 5w-20?
Old January 1st, 2016, 05:46 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Well, the RRC was supposed to be the beater to get me through the projects. It cost me $1000.

So it isn't a loss, it's just a headache.

I really don't want to sell either. Especially the IIa. I've owned it since 1999, already sold it once, felt bad, bought it back 3 years later.

I am using Castrol 20w50 in the Series. 10w40 in the others. I use Lucas oil stabilizer as well.

------ Follow up post added January 1st, 2016 02:48 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
Luckily, I had a Lexus for years to get around in...and now a big Ford truck... while the Rover projects were under the knife.

My RR Hunter has never failed me in 10 years.

Simple fix for the LWB would be to swap in another running motor.

With an extra set of hands, a swap can be done in a weekend reasonably.

The problem with that is that's just what I did with the IIa... look where it got me. Also, when I bought this one, it was running really well. I'm cursed, I tell you. CURSED!

1965 IIa SWB
Old January 1st, 2016, 06:19 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I've got a D1 you can borrow until you get running...
Old January 1st, 2016, 06:54 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
That's awesome, Brian! I'd take you up on that if I was closer to you. Would be kind of a detour at this point.

1965 IIa SWB
Old January 1st, 2016, 07:34 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Want to exercise my 90ST until I get it back down to CA this summer? It's just sitting in the garage in Portland. I haven't had a chance to run it much in the past year and that's a recipe for disaster.
Old January 1st, 2016, 07:51 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Hummmmm....

I may take you up on that idea -- I know I can drive the Series gently for a few days, and my wife and I can coordinate using one car for a day or two if we need to. So I'm able to get through this coming week. I need to get the Series or LWB in the shop to get a solid diagnosis and estimate on time/money involved.

Don't you come up and drive it while here on a regular basis? Wouldn't want to disrupt your schedule!

1965 IIa SWB
Old January 1st, 2016, 07:58 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Nope. I start it and roll it every time I'm through, but have never been in town long enough to get the fuel pump replaced. I'm at <3~5lbs. If you're going to drive it, I'll have it scheduled, paid, and you can pick it up.

Just pm me if you decide to.
Old January 1st, 2016, 08:04 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Here's what you do...
Buy a Toyota Camary, preferably a 1990 - 1998 4 cylinder.
Drive it...
Next you pass the IIA to your son, as foundation material, as Raub suggests.
Mothball the Range Rover and save it.
Work on the Defender with all your might.
If/When you get discouraged drive to the VA/NC rallies and get stoked up to come back and succeed.
Then Enjoy, because all this is very much part of the fun.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old January 1st, 2016, 08:14 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Yeah, as you both point out, the IIa is so perfect for a boy -- one way or another, I'm sure he'll claim it as his over the RRC anyway.

David, I'll get in touch when I figure this out. Thanks for your generosity.

1965 IIa SWB
Old January 1st, 2016, 11:13 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Realistically, how long before your 110 is back on the road?

I was going to say dump the IIa, but it seems that's not an option.

I'd be tempted to fix the RR ASAP as a DD.

I know it sucks to drive a non-Rover, but the Honda/Toyota/Nissan idea might be worthwhile if your Rovers are all going to be fixed but it's going to take a while.

Hopefully the light at the end of the tunnel is all 3 Rovers running, but I too an concerned that there seems to be a pattern here. Sabotage? I'd be interested to hear exactly what's wrong with the engines...
Good luck whatever you decide!
Old January 1st, 2016, 11:40 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Sounds to me like you and I have the same luck.

Did a diesel conversion on my D1 using the HS2.8 several years ago. Less than 8 months pass and it literally blew apart just puttin along on the highway at 1900 rpm.

I'm still trying to get it back together.

While it has been down, I bought the RR P38 Westminster to get around in. It's been down 4 months waiting for a BECM.

Public transportation sucks and so does bumming rides.
Old January 2nd, 2016, 02:05 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBailey View Post
David, I'll get in touch when I figure this out. Thanks for your generosity.
My pleasure. As long as you don't hit anything that can file suit, you'd be doing me a favor! ;-)
Old January 2nd, 2016, 09:12 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
keep them all and buy a base model Honda civic, from the late 90's. they only ever need oil gas and timing belts every 100k
Old January 2nd, 2016, 11:56 AM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Not sure if this helps, but there's a series engine & parts FS in Boise on Craigslist.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
advice