NAS90, Tithonus or Something else? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 25th, 2015, 06:55 PM
FirstTithonus
Dustin
1994 NAS 90 #313

NAS90, Tithonus or Something else?

Since you're a lively bunch today I figured I'd ask for your input and give you something else to debate.

My wife has recently started suggesting that I pick a Defender to keep and sell the other. I don't really like this plan but she wants her garage spot back and I've got some potentially interested parties.

I understand that there are many factors that go into this decision but I'm interested to hear from you guys as well. Should I keep the rugged Tithonus, eventually upgrade to the 200TDI & power steering and continue to make it "nice" on the inside or carry on loving the NAS90 as it is? I guess the third option I would entertain is to find a well-sorted ROW 5-door 110 to replace them both.

I still intend to use the Defender I own as a fun vehicle that I take off-road and camping but would like a nice interior for the wife. She obviously likes the 90 better and yes, I am loving the V8 power.

Ahh, as you can see, I'm all over the place. What do you think? Am I crazy? Is this a no-brainer?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2137456468.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	797.8 KB
ID:	130723  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 25th, 2015, 06:58 PM
xplorUtah
Andrew P
1960 SII

Registry
I sold my NAS as I thought my 110 was all I would need, but I was wrong and bought another NAS90. I still have the 3 door 110, but would sell that before I sold my 90 again.
1997 D90 SW #2496

"Fear profits man nothing"

1997 D90 SW #2139 Portofino Sold
1995 D90 ST #2445 Beluga Black Sold
1995 RRC SWB Beluga Black Sold
1986 110 200TDI "1 of 1" Sold
Old September 25th, 2015, 07:10 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

There's no way to advise you other than to go with your personal preference because you don't provide enough information to make a determination.
You need to provide a use case for the 3 options.
Do you have children, is AC a requirement, do you haul firewood, do you go 4 wheeling, do you go camping and need a LWB to haul stuff... and so on.

I hear Jeff above, but if it were purely financial, we wouldn't own any of these things to begin with!

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 25th, 2015, 07:10 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
NAS! ROW's are getting easier and more plentiful to import! Or, Keep both! Tell her you'll remodel the kitchen if you can build another garage?
Old September 25th, 2015, 07:23 PM
FirstTithonus
Dustin
1994 NAS 90 #313

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
The NAS will always be more valuable., and harder to replace. What do you plan on doing with the one you keep? Daily driver? Weekend trips? Camping? Wheeling? Making friends at the gas station? -Jeff
Not a daily driver. Yes to weekend trips and camping. I don't 4wheel just to 4wheel, mainly to get to the remote camping areas so I love the capability. I do enjoy making friends, especially at gas stations, lol.

------ Follow up post added September 25th, 2015 07:28 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
There's no way to advise you other than to go with your personal preference because you don't provide enough information to make a determination. You need to provide a use case for the 3 options. Do you have children, is AC a requirement, do you haul firewood, do you go 4 wheeling, do you go camping and need a LWB to haul stuff... and so on. I hear Jeff above, but if it were purely financial, we wouldn't own any of these things to begin with!
AC is not a requirement although it would be nice to have. No kids yet, but yes, the news that we're now expecting is part of the increased importance of her "suggestion." This is the main reason I'm even entertaining letting go of the 90. The 5-door wagon would be nice for kid(s) and the dog.
Old September 25th, 2015, 07:40 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTithonus View Post
Not a daily driver. Yes to weekend trips and camping. I don't 4wheel just to 4wheel, mainly to get to the remote camping areas so I love the capability. I do enjoy making friends, especially at gas stations, lol.

------ Follow up post added September 25th, 2015 07:28 PM ------

AC is not a requirement although it would be nice to have. No kids yet, but yes, the news that we're now expecting is part of the increased importance of her "suggestion." This is the main reason I'm even entertaining letting go of the 90. The 5-door wagon would be nice for kid(s) and the dog.
You can use either with your first child and have a solid seat in the back for the first child.
If you expect more, then the 5 door will be you best choice.

Reminds me of the Sophie's choice movie.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

Old September 25th, 2015, 08:10 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

I love the compactness and agility of the 90. I think the 110 would be too much truck for my needs.

So I'm in the keep the NAS camp.
Old September 25th, 2015, 08:12 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Nice. You are now liable for 1/2 the cost of his divorce. -Jeff
Yeah, haha! Whoops! He's not in a community property state like us, is he?

But in all seriousness, your NAS is gorgeous and "as is" is about all the time you're going to have for the next couple of years! I have a near two year old, and one on the way. The NAS 90 is off limits until they are two. (Her orders) So you'll need something that works. Do you not have a driveway? Buy her a nice suv and park something (the Tithonus) in the driveway in front of your side.

But if you have to choose, go 90! The cage is already there. You have a gorgeous NAS ST! If you're like me at all, it's all about the ST! I live for the summer evenings with nothing overhead. Irreplaceable!
Old September 25th, 2015, 09:14 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

If you're using your truck for remote camping trips, the answer is easy (for me, at least): Tithonus. I sold my sweet NAS truck to get my Tithonus and rebuilt it on a galvy frame with a new three hundy. The reason was simple: range and storage space. I don't like camping trailers so I carry all of my gear in the truck and with the 90, it was nearly impossible. The Tithonus gives me space to fit everything I want to carry and a nice flat tub to sleep in when the weather is too crappy for a tent. The range of the Tithonus is a 4x improvement on the NAS truck. Besides the low-20s milage of the three hundy, I have space for up to four cans of fuel in the lockers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old September 25th, 2015, 09:52 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Chris, I was hoping you or Raub would chime in!

Old September 25th, 2015, 10:05 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
I have absolutely no idea at all why you all own a NAS90 and participate in any event off road. I mean 3 of my best friends in this community beat the shit out of their trucks and if they dollied them up they would be worth $60K???? I mean shit. Everyone of you are fools if you own one and wheel it. OH yeah they know it and say it.

Really I shit you not if I had one it would be a mall crawling garage queen until I could sell it for $70K+ then I would buy a nice solid ROW 110 and wheel it at events, not worried about it and have fun.

PERIOD. Actually if we were real smart they would probably be Discos. No I didn't say that!!!

Really these NAS vehicles will be relegated to collectors and maybe they should too. But heck capitalize now. Who knows what will happen when the new ones come out.
Old September 25th, 2015, 10:25 PM
FirstTithonus
Dustin
1994 NAS 90 #313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
I love the compactness and agility of the 90. I think the 110 would be too much truck for my needs. So I'm in the keep the NAS camp.
It is a serious battle. Agile, quick and worth a lot vs extra room, not quick and worth enough but not too much that I worry when I take it camping.
Old September 25th, 2015, 10:30 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Always keep the NAS...
Old September 25th, 2015, 10:35 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Your 110 will be a completely different vehicle once it has a turbodiesel and P/S. The improvement is night and day.

/
/
/
/
Old September 25th, 2015, 10:49 PM
FirstTithonus
Dustin
1994 NAS 90 #313

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
Your 110 will be a completely different vehicle once it has a turbodiesel and P/S. The improvement is night and day.
I keep hearing this and believe it. Finding one to test-drive is a part of the due diligence that needs to be done before any decisions are made.

PS - no one responded to you on the Tith FB group about the sliders did they?
Old September 26th, 2015, 07:37 AM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
This is the truth. On another note, I am sure people will laugh at this, they made less Tithonus trucks than NAS 90. Just something to think about.
Old September 26th, 2015, 07:52 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTithonus View Post
It is a serious battle. Agile, quick and worth a lot vs extra room, not quick and worth enough but not too much that I worry when I take it camping.
There is a reason I have a M416....
Old September 26th, 2015, 09:14 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
If the tithonus had LHD or four doors, it would be more difficult of a choice for me. But I would personally keep the nas and buy a four door family hauler for the growing family.

BTW there are several folks around me that have nas 90's and several kids...and a dog who ride along, all at the same time. The secret is that they also have several other "civilized" cars.

A 200 series fj, Lexus gx, lr3/4, rrs or RR will make you forget about a 110.
Old September 26th, 2015, 09:59 AM
xplorUtah
Andrew P
1960 SII

Registry
Quote:
x2, my 110 is a much better truck with those two improvements.
1997 D90 SW #2496

"Fear profits man nothing"

1997 D90 SW #2139 Portofino Sold
1995 D90 ST #2445 Beluga Black Sold
1995 RRC SWB Beluga Black Sold
1986 110 200TDI "1 of 1" Sold
Old September 26th, 2015, 10:02 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
if the tithonus had lhd or four doors, it would be more difficult of a choice for me. But i would personally keep the nas and buy a four door family hauler for the growing family.

btw there are several folks around me that have nas 90's and several kids...and a dog who ride along, all at the same time. The secret is that they also have several other "civilized" cars.

A 200 series fj, lexus gx, lr3/4, rrs or rr will make you forget about a 110.

x8...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat