Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 26th, 2015, 10:39 AM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
This thread has me wanting to start a new one asking what is the best wheel base for you?
90,110,130?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 26th, 2015, 11:17 AM
FirstTithonus
Dustin
1994 NAS 90 #313

Well that is definitely one possibility. Let someone else enjoy the 90 and upgrade the hell out of my Tithonus. Out of the 6 I've seen in person, it is by far the best. Thanks for all of the input. No matter what, I'm sticking with a Defender and will enjoy whichever I keep.
Old September 26th, 2015, 05:23 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
Your 110 will be a completely different vehicle once it has a turbodiesel and P/S. The improvement is night and day.
X3 on the Tdi and P/S. If you do have kids on the way a 5 door 110 may be the way to go when they are young. But mine are teenagers and love riding in the back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1903.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	130856  
Advertisement

Old September 27th, 2015, 10:45 AM
FirstTithonus
Dustin
1994 NAS 90 #313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
X3 on the Tdi and P/S. If you do have kids on the way a 5 door 110 may be the way to go when they are young. But mine are teenagers and love riding in the back.
That's awesome looking with the sides cut out. I have tinted sliding windows from Masai that I haven't gotten around to putting in yet.

What's a ballpark cost for the engine swap and power steering job?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2517436429.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	567.4 KB
ID:	130873  
Old September 27th, 2015, 11:56 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
I tried the Masi windows but the clearance between the Gel top and the roll cage was too skinny and just wouldn't fit. So I just had a friend who does fiberglass work on boats cut the sides out for a 12 pack of Corona lights, been happy (and cooler) ever since. The plan is to have a marine canvas buddy make me some eisenglass and canvas windows that can be rolled up but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

As for the motor swap I think I paid around $5,000 for a well sorted motor had it shipped to Uncle Douglas' farm and we swapped it out over a weekend.
Old September 27th, 2015, 01:26 PM
FirstTithonus
Dustin
1994 NAS 90 #313

I was worried about that clearance being an issue. Was thinking about scalloping the window frame a bit where the roll cage downpipe is. Maybe not.
Old September 28th, 2015, 08:55 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
I have absolutely no idea at all why you all own a NAS90 and participate in any event off road. I mean 3 of my best friends in this community beat the shit out of their trucks and if they dollied them up they would be worth $60K???? I mean shit. Everyone of you are fools if you own one and wheel it. OH yeah they know it and say it.

Really I shit you not if I had one it would be a mall crawling garage queen until I could sell it for $70K+ then I would buy a nice solid ROW 110 and wheel it at events, not worried about it and have fun.

PERIOD. Actually if we were real smart they would probably be Discos. No I didn't say that!!!

Really these NAS vehicles will be relegated to collectors and maybe they should too. But heck capitalize now. Who knows what will happen when the new ones come out.
Remember many of us bought, modified and started wheeling our Defenders long before their current values were set by low supply, and high demand. I actually bought mine second hand for LESS than original price, but it was only two years old then, now its 20 years old. And I guess for those of us who intend to own them till we pass on, an increasing value doesn't mean much, except maybe to our heirs..

Seen the story of the NART Spyder? Didn't matter how much it was worth, its owner never had any intention of selling it, and just wanted to enjoy driving it. Lots of people thought he was nuts for driving on public roads..

Personally, stories like these warm my heart, and get me a bit emotional about the ownership experience. They don't leave me thinking, 'What an idiot, driving that NAS Defender all over the place." But that's just me, and to each their own I guess..

Are we fools to wheel them? Maybe, especially if you wheel them hard core, knowing you are likely to do significant damage each time you go out. Would probably make more sense, as you say, to buy a ROW truck to build and wheel.

But if you don't need to run trails that ensure damage each time to enjoy the experience, what's the harm in stretching an NAS Defender's legs? It's the same argument for owning a Ferrari that is never driven faster than 55 mph..

It's not about its investment potential for me (but I'm not going to lie, it's nice to know it is not another depreciating asset).. To me, this is what a Land Rover is about.

Boy, those guys that drive the NAS 110s must be the real idiots, NAS 90's are a dime a dozen by comparison..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 30th, 2015, 07:06 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
I like Tithonus trucks but I also like parking inside my garage both at home and at work.
Old October 11th, 2015, 07:22 PM
FirstTithonus
Dustin
1994 NAS 90 #313

Grabbed a rear cargo basket for this weekend's camping trip. The extra space really helped! Maybe I can make the 90 work for the family.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1335102251.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	936.6 KB
ID:	132039  
Old March 31st, 2016, 10:39 PM
FirstTithonus
Dustin
1994 NAS 90 #313

Update: Sold the Tithonus, been upgrading the D90 a bit, and the kid came this week. I do miss the 110 sometimes, but the V8 is great. I know he'll enjoy himself once he is old enough for my wife to let him ride in it. I wonder how long we'll have to wait for that. Haha
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3033629475.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	668.2 KB
ID:	146396  
Old April 1st, 2016, 01:30 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

To each his own, no doubt. I do miss my NAS truck for driving around town. It was quiet and had more creature comforts with the stereo (which you could actually hear) and the carpets and such. But, once I started doing the really long trips, the NAS just didn't cut it. You need a LWB with a diesel if you want to carry enough food and fuel to stay out for a week without resupply.

For most people, I would never, ever recommend a Tithonus or any ex-MOD. Way too noisy, slow, and spartan. The turnover with these trucks must surely be much higher.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
/
Old April 1st, 2016, 05:55 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Edit

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old April 1st, 2016, 08:29 AM
FirstTithonus
Dustin
1994 NAS 90 #313

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
To each his own, no doubt. I do miss my NAS truck for driving around town. It was quiet and had more creature comforts with the stereo (which you could actually hear) and the carpets and such. But, once I started doing the really long trips, the NAS just didn't cut it. You need a LWB with a diesel if you want to carry enough food and fuel to stay out for a week without resupply. For most people, I would never, ever recommend a Tithonus or any ex-MOD. Way too noisy, slow, and spartan. The turnover with these trucks must surely be much higher.
Agreed. I will probably own another Tith someday. It will surely be a Snell replica since you've perfected it. Although I might paint it black so people could tell us apart.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat