Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old January 28th, 2015, 08:30 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

NAS Defenders that weren't sold in North America

I thought I would start a thread to collect information on all the NAS Defenders that weren't sold in North America, including models related to or based on the NAS Defender. I'll post what I know and hopefully you guys can add to it.

So far I know of these:
1) 1993 UK SV 90 Soft Top (200 Tdi engine)
2) 1998 UK 50th Anniversary 90 Station Wagon (4.0 Rover V8 engine)
3) 1997 Japan NAS 90 Station Wagon (4.0 Rover V8 engine)
4) Dubai NAS -> ? I don't have any information on this one.

And just now I came across this 1995 NAS 90 Soft Top 2.8i prototype (BMW M52 engine) originally sold in South Africa. -> via this web capture using the "Internet Archive Wayback Machine."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 28th, 2015, 08:34 PM
wmatos1001
William
1994 NAS Defender 90

Registry
Interesting. I had heard of the Japanese NAS based exports but none of these others. It seems to me the NAS versions would be more popular in non NAS markets given the SD bars/cages. Except the V8 engine which I imagine was too costly to run due to gas prices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 28th, 2015, 08:36 PM
vtlandrover
Frank
1994 NAS Defender 90

If I came across an NAS 90 with a diesel fuel filler cap, I'd pee my pants.
Old March 30th, 2015, 03:35 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

After browsing around a little more on the old GreenLandy site, I came across more info on the NAS 2.8i. So there were 3 NAS 2.8i prototypes. I wonder what became of the 2 that were sent back to the UK for testing.

Old March 30th, 2015, 09:50 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Being a detective online is fun. Perhaps I should start a comprehensive thread about the 2.8i for just itself, but to continue in the investigation I started, here's some info from Land Rover SA here.

Some interesting facts from the article:

-The vehicle was the "priority project" between Land Rover and BMW with development starting in February 1996.

-There were 6 prototypes. If 3 of those were NAS I think it's reasonable to assume the other 3 were NAS as well. "No less than six vehicles underwent more than 500 000 kms of on and off road testing...[which] included high speed testing, off roading, wading, high impact durability, trailer towing, hot and cold climate testing, high altitude and sea level tests as well as intensive component testing, both in South Africa and in the United Kingdom."

-There were preliminary plans to sell the vehicle in other markets. "the Defender 2.8 is initially being marketed locally and could be exported at a later stage to other markets."
Old March 30th, 2015, 11:17 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
1994 Defender 90 #916

Imagine if they put that 2.8i into our NAS trucks from the get go.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old March 30th, 2015, 11:21 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ini88 View Post
would have saved you a lot of work ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old March 31st, 2015, 12:14 AM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

That would have been awesome. It's very possible they would have for '98 or '99.

Here's a cool article from LRO magazine .

Old March 31st, 2015, 12:46 AM
kevincdoyle
Kevin C. Doyle
1995 NAS D90 Coniston Green SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
I thought I would start a thread to collect information on all the NAS Defenders that weren't sold in North America, including models related to or based on the NAS Defender. I'll post what I know and hopefully you guys can add to it. So far I know of these: 1) 1993 UK SV 90 Soft Top (200 Tdi engine) 2) 1998 UK 50th Anniversary 90 Station Wagon (4.0 Rover V8 engine) 3) 1997 Japan NAS 90 Station Wagon (4.0 Rover V8 engine) 4) Dubai NAS -> ? I don't have any information on this one. And just now I came across this 1995 NAS 90 Soft Top 2.8i prototype (BMW M52 engine) originally sold in South Africa. -> via this web capture using the "Internet Archive Wayback Machine."
I guess I forgot my box of chocolates. I'm not sure I understand the point here...are these Defenders that never were, could have been, or do some of these exist?

My limited understanding is this: there were a (very) limited number of Defenders that were modified to accommodate US DOT safety laws and those that were imported 93, 94, 95, and 97, were very strictly modified and consequently allowed onshore domestically. (North America) hence the designation...

Even to the point of having very specific VIN numbers/ranges..

Am I wrong here???

"I actually like to paint some of my smaller parts......"
Old March 31st, 2015, 03:03 AM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevincdoyle View Post
I guess I forgot my box of chocolates. I'm not sure I understand the point here...are these Defenders that never were, could have been, or do some of these exist?

My limited understanding is this: there were a (very) limited number of Defenders that were modified to accommodate US DOT safety laws and those that were imported 93, 94, 95, and 97, were very strictly modified and consequently allowed onshore domestically. (North America) hence the designation...

Even to the point of having very specific VIN numbers/ranges..

Am I wrong here???
These all exist, but they are in much more limited numbers than the Defenders sold in North America. The 90 SV was manufactured by LR's Special Vehicle Operations. I believe it was a standard UK Defender, but it had the full NAS roll cage with soft top. It's the precursor and sort of the prototype for the NAS 90.

And as many are aware the Japanese NAS Defender is identical to the NAS in most regards. There's just a few minor differences such as the exterior side lights, a KPH speedo, and some different labeling among other small details.

The UK 50th Defender is essentially a Japanese NAS Defender as far as I am aware, but it is right hand drive. I'm not sure what the other small differences are. The 50th was also sold in other places in Europe, the Middle East, and Japan where it was available in white in addition to the standard Atlantis Blue.

The South African Defender 2.8i started life as a NAS Defender, but then received a BMW M52 engine in SA. The prototypes are the only right hand drive NAS 90 soft tops I know of. Regular production models lacked the NAS roll cage, but still had a NAS chassis. There was also a 50th Anniversary edition of the 2.8i. Here's some info about them from an owner:

"Landrovers were being built at the Rosslyn,Pretoria,plant at that time and the Special Vehicles built only 50 Limited Edition Defenders of which 26 were 90s and 24 were 110s randomely numbered 1 to 50.Mine was number 26 of 50 and it was a Defender 90.
The 90s were powered by a BMW M52 petrol motor (2.8i) and the 110s by a 2.5l tdi motor.Both were distinguishable from other Defenders by their distinctive exterior trim including colour coded wheel arch mouldings,spot lamps and sparewheel cover with the 50th logo on it.
The 90 was painted in Santorini blue(a BMW colour)with a stainless steel front bumper,A-frame bullbar,and stainless steel side runners.The interior trim was black leather,leather covered steering wheel and gearknob.Each seat,including 4 rear seats had the 50th anniversary logo embossed on them.The rear L-R badge contained the 50th logo and the vehicles number.Asimilar badge was fixed to the left side of the facia dashboard.A Coleman thermo-electric cooler/heater was placed behind the front seats secured with a small cargo net.For this purpose a dual battery with splitcharger was fitted.I believe that the 90 was dubbed"'Sport"'so I suppose it was necessary to have cold beers on hand!And plenty of acceleration and speed hence the 2.8i motor.I managed 160 kmh and was reluctant to push it further.
The 110 which I do not know so much about was apparantly dubbed 'Safari''.It was painted a limestone colour with green mouldings.It was fitted with a roofrack,a rooftop tent,a stepladder and a wraparound bullbar.It was also fitted with a GPS which was not so common in those days.
Soon after acquiring my 50th I set about spotting the others.I recorded seeing numbers
2 a 90,43 a110,44 a 90,37 a 110,12 a 90,46 a 90,11 a 110,22 a 90,I seldom see any of them these days.Mine was featured in Landrover Owner International magazine March1999 edition page 29 under Readers Rovers."
Old April 25th, 2015, 01:17 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

I found more info about the SA 50th Anniversary Defenders. This is from Land Rover SA.

"LIMITED EDITION DEFENDER CELEBRATES 50 YEARS OF SUCCESS FOR LAND ROVER WORLD-WIDE

A Limited Edition Land Rover Defender is to be introduced to South Africa to commemorate 50 years of the "Best 4X4 by far".

The Defender, of which there are only 50, will be available in September this year. It will have many of the creature comforts not normally associated with the vehicle which has long been a firm favourite with serious off-roaders.

The Limited Edition Defenders will be distinguishable from other Defenders by their distinctive exterior trim. This includes colour-coded wheel arch mouldings, spot lamps, spare wheel carrier, free style alloy wheels, stainless steel A-frame Bullbar, two-tone solid paint, Willards welding and side runners on the Defender 90. The Defender 110 has all these extras including a roof rack and step ladder, as well as a wrap-around Bullbar in place of the A-frame.

Inside, buyers of the Defender 90 will have the benefit of leather seats, radio and CD player, leather steering wheel and gear lever as well as a cooler box. The Defender 110 has these luxuries too; however special cloth seats are used in favour of the leather ones. It is also fitted with a GPS (Pathfinder system).

The Defender 90 (SWB) is available in petrol, while the 110 (LWB) is available in diesel fuel. The two vehicles will be available through dealers for about R196 000,00 and R273 000,00 respectively.

"The Defender was chosen by Land Rover SA to record our 50th Anniversary as it was the most identifiable development from the 'original' Land Rover, which was introduced to the world at the Amsterdam Motor Show in 1948," said Johan van der Walt, Sales and Marketing Director, Land Rover South Africa.

"In addition, the Defender still shows no sign of having its standing as the ultimate off-road workhorse overturned. It is also the vehicle from which our other offerings, the Range Rover, Discovery and, lately, the Freelander, were developed".

"Although these vehicles have higher standards of luxury appointments than the Defender, they still share the characteristic toughness for which the Defender became renowned".

"Naturally, the Defender - given the name in 1990 in recognition of the part it still plays in military applications - has also benefited from the technological advances and creature comforts which have been introduced to other models".

"The vehicle has a tremendously loyal following in South Africa. Off-roaders recognise it as the 4X4 of choice for serious bush work. It is the vehicle which formed the base of our operations in South Africa and is therefore worthy of recognition at this auspicious time in our history," he concluded."
Old April 25th, 2015, 02:36 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ini88 View Post
Based on my experience with the M62 in a Range Rover, the first thing I'd do would be switch it back to a RV8!
Old April 25th, 2015, 03:14 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
Based on my experience with the M62 in a Range Rover, the first thing I'd do would be switch it back to a RV8!
I never thought of the M62 V8 as a stellar engine, although it is significantly more advanced than a RV8 and given the number of M62 powered BMW's with over 200k miles on them I'd say it's still fairly reliable. The M5x straight 6 family is far better, which evolved from the gloriously reliable M20.

I know some of you are resistant to technological change and an old Buick V8 developed back in the 50's is as good as it gets and that's okay.
Old April 14th, 2016, 09:07 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Here are two more NAS related trucks.

1. Defender 90 Eastnor Edition. This one came in yellow (AA?) and had the NAS padded B pillar with diagonals, but it looks like it lacked the rest of the roll cage. It came with the NAS fiberglass hardtop and it was powered by the 300 Tdi engine. Apparently 100 were made for France.

Les Land Rover séries spéciales.

2. Defender 90 Biarritz Edition. I found very little information on this one, but other than the color, Biarritz blue, it appears to be identical to the Eastnor edition. It had a special rear wheel cover that says "Biarritz" on it. Apparently 50 were made. I assume it was also for France, but I'm not certain.

Old April 15th, 2016, 08:22 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Himalaya had a fiberglass top from #1 late last year for sale.
Old April 15th, 2016, 12:43 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Defender X-Trem, French 90 1996 ish. They had 300tdi with B-Pillar from the NAS cage, no other part of the cage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	106
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	147311  
Old April 15th, 2016, 01:30 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90 View Post
Defender X-Trem, French 90 1996 ish. They had 300tdi with B-Pillar from the NAS cage, no other part of the cage.
NAS B pillar without the side horns. I think Himalaya had one of those as well.
Old April 15th, 2016, 01:51 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Very cool. Another one to add to the list. It looks like the X-Trem had a unique fiberglass top.

Old April 15th, 2016, 01:52 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
"unique" "horrible"
Old April 15th, 2016, 02:08 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

I found this website that has info on limited edition models. Several I've never heard of.

Land Rover Defender - Defender Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
defender, nas