NAS 110 A/C System - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 30th, 2006, 02:38 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

NAS 110 A/C System

I was always under the impression that the NAS 110 A/C system was only used in our trucks (thus the difficulty finding parts), but then this morning I see this Ebay listing:

1993 Federalized EU 110

Scroll down and take a look at the 5th picture. Same in dash A/C system in that EU spec 110. What's up with that? Maybe all 93's, but just 93's had this system?

Incidentally, if you go to their webpage, they're asking $65k for that truck! That's crazy. You can buy an NAS 110 for less than half of that.....if you can find one. Interestingly, someone on the Solihull Society forums posted these numbers for the number of NAS 90s and 110s still on the road (registered):

1993 Defender 110- 385 Registered Vehicles
1994 Defender 90- 1,434 Registered Vehicles
1995 Defender 90- 1,312 Registered Vehicles
1997 Defender 90- 2,185 Registered Vehicles

This information is straight from POLK.

Looks like we've lost quite a few.

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 30th, 2006, 03:21 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
You see those dashes in 80's trucks all the way back to the intro of the 110 in 83. Its my impression that that was the "original" defender AC system and it was last used on the NAS 110's. Its use coincides with black, blanked-out bulkhead vent covers.
Old August 30th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
That 385 will pop up to 386 in October when mine get's back on the road!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 30th, 2006, 03:36 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
You see those dashes in 80's trucks all the way back to the intro of the 110 in 83. Its my impression that that was the "original" defender AC system and it was last used on the NAS 110's.
Interesting; didn't know that. I wonder then, why it is that parts are so difficult to find for this type system. I've been looking for a new (or used) on/off switch for mine and you'd think I was looking for the holy grail! Yeah, I know I can hack some crap in there, but I want the factory one.

Mark, good to hear you're gettin' her back on the road!

Old August 31st, 2006, 12:36 AM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Have you tried Rovers North? They sourced a whole HVAC box for mine.
Old August 31st, 2006, 01:14 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
Have you tried Rovers North? They sourced a whole HVAC box for mine.
Yeah, they couldn't even find the part in their books! Maybe I'll try again. CSR roullette.

Old August 31st, 2006, 01:18 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

I have the whole NAS110 parts book at home. Is this the horizontal switch on the dash below the vent/temp controls? "been looking for a new (or used) on/off switch for mine " I'll look it up for you tonight.
Old August 31st, 2006, 01:33 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Quote:
I have the whole NAS110 parts book at home. Is this the horizontal switch on the dash below the vent/temp controls? "been looking for a new (or used) on/off switch for mine " I'll look it up for you tonight.
It's the round pushbutton on/off switch in the lower left corner. It lights up when you push it on. Actually, mine works OK, just the pushbutton top is missing, so you have to jam your pinky down in the switch to turn it on. That would awesome if you could look up the P/N Doug, I'd sure appreciate it.

Hey, I've often thought that the parts book would be a good thing to have. Where did you purchase yours?

Thanks!

Old August 31st, 2006, 01:38 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
I think we should all campaign for a seperate section in the chat board called "110s/130s" where we can talk about specific things pertaining to us like 2nd row doors, extra space and snacks...
Old August 31st, 2006, 01:47 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Mmmmm, snacks. Not a bad idea. All five of us could talk. Anybody know how many 110 owners are on here? Chris?

Old August 31st, 2006, 01:57 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Wink

don't forget Kellymoe. He knows what I'm talking about when I say "snacks". Snacks are the origins of extra space.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crooked creek 050.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	6468  
Old August 31st, 2006, 05:34 PM
texasdefender110
T.J. D...
NAS Defender 110

Registry
I have a 110

Has anyone converted their Defender 110 A/C to R134A?
Would I need to change out the dryer to one with XH-7 or XH-9 desiccant and change out the expansion valve?
The dryer looks like one from a similar year model Range Rover. I took it a shop once and asked about converting to R134A. At first the shop said $150 then called me later in the day and said they didn't even want to mess with it.
It still blows cold air, about 46 degrees when the engine is cold and the outside temp is not above 80. If it is over 80 outside and the engine is warm the A/C can't keep up.
Old September 1st, 2006, 12:17 AM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Chance, the switch is part number RTC7412, bulb is RTC7413. Fiche 2 page N12.

TJ, I changed compressors a couple of years ago to one from a Range Rover circa 1997. My mechanic drained and charged the system with the updated refrigerant with no issues.

DW
Old September 1st, 2006, 08:49 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfD90
It's the round pushbutton on/off switch in the lower left corner. It lights up when you push it on. Actually, mine works OK, just the pushbutton top is missing, so you have to jam your pinky down in the switch to turn it on. That would awesome if you could look up the P/N Doug, I'd sure appreciate it.

Hey, I've often thought that the parts book would be a good thing to have. Where did you purchase yours?

Thanks!

Sadly the AC "on/off" switch in NLA from Rover or anywhere else we have been able to locate.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkellgr
That 385 will pop up to 386 in October when mine get's back on the road!
We have over 10 unregistered NAS 110s here at ECR, all slated to be back on the road in the next year or so.
just put #157 back on the road, and #4 is now in the works, followed by #403... etc

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfD90
Interesting; didn't know that. I wonder then, why it is that parts are so difficult to find for this type system. I've been looking for a new (or used) on/off switch for mine and you'd think I was looking for the holy grail! Yeah, I know I can hack some crap in there, but I want the factory one.

Mark, good to hear you're gettin' her back on the road!

The parts are tough to find because they all went out of production a LONG time ago. The NAS 110 was like a rolling "out of date parts bin". They used up a ton of stuff that was not on other 110s of the period. All other 110s of the period had a 24 spline front axle. The NAS 110s got the old 10 spline. They also got the last of the old AC systems, the last of the drum brake rear axles etc etc etc.

110 NAS AC parts (or should we say early 110 AC parts) are a holy grail. We search the UK, Africa, everywhere and come up short on a lot of the parts.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old September 1st, 2006, 10:14 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

"110 NAS AC parts (or should we say early 110 AC parts) are a holy grail. We search the UK, Africa, everywhere and come up short on a lot of the parts."

I just don't understand this. Unless you are trying to restore it to original, I would just pay the 2k or so RN wants for a new AC system and use that and keep the old stuff in case NAS 110s become like muscle cars or old ferraris some day. The system in that truck is horrid.
Old September 1st, 2006, 10:38 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

I agree 110%. I'd like to kill off all those systems, but some customers want to stick with it because it is original.
It is a fact that parts for those system are hard to find, and in a lot of cases NLA anywhere.

This is what the new system looks like installed:

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/73.html

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old September 1st, 2006, 05:25 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Quote:
Chance, the switch is part number RTC7412, bulb is RTC7413.
Excellent, thanks Doug.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
Sadly the AC "on/off" switch in NLA from Rover or anywhere else we have been able to locate.
Not so excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
The parts are tough to find because they all went out of production a LONG time ago. The NAS 110 was like a rolling "out of date parts bin". They used up a ton of stuff that was not on other 110s of the period. All other 110s of the period had a 24 spline front axle. The NAS 110s got the old 10 spline. They also got the last of the old AC systems, the last of the drum brake rear axles etc etc etc.

110 NAS AC parts (or should we say early 110 AC parts) are a holy grail. We search the UK, Africa, everywhere and come up short on a lot of the parts.

Interesting history on the NAS 110. Thanks Mike! I once had a LR Tech tell me that the 500 or so NAS 110's were actually a cancelled order that was originally destined for the German military or police. He claimed LR gussied them up a bit, marked them up a bunch and sent them America as a "limited edition". Wonder if there's any truth to that.

Old September 2nd, 2006, 10:12 AM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

I am definately not one for keeping my 110 100% orignial, but I just cant bring myself to sacrifice all of that leg room by switching to the newer ac unit. I have never seen a 110 with the new system, however as I understand it is very close to those found in the 90 and I am amazed how much room that system takes up.
Old September 2nd, 2006, 12:21 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattarm
I am definately not one for keeping my 110 100% orignial, but I just cant bring myself to sacrifice all of that leg room by switching to the newer ac unit. I have never seen a 110 with the new system, however as I understand it is very close to those found in the 90 and I am amazed how much room that system takes up.
Agreed. Years ago, when I bought my 97 D-90, it didn't have A/C on it and I was going to add it until I saw how much legroom is lost!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, nas, nas 110