NAPA Sucks - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 1st, 2011, 06:21 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

NAPA Sucks

So I need some cheap rear brake pads for the LWB and PT Schram tells me NAPA cheap ones are good and what I like (soft compound), so I check online and they are $20 and AVAILABLE IN STORE. Call NAPA near me, order pads to pick up next day, go to pick them up and told $94. I called yesterday with the PN and that is not what it showed online. response: "we don't do online pricing"

I said, ok, took the $50 worth of shop supplies I was going to buy, left them on the counter and said "no thanks, have a nice day."

Based on the guys reaction, I bet it happens a lot. I am tempted to call and order a bunch of weird parts because they did not ask for my name or anything when I ordered.

This should teach me to try to buy anything other than online. I hope that store goes out of business and I am sure it will with shit like this.

Ron
Advertisement

Old April 1st, 2011, 07:19 PM
ssbartley1
Steve Bartley
1997 SW #160

Registry
-

You dont do online pricing? Ok, cool....I dont do in store buying.

Unless each napa is an individual franchise....their policy makes zero sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
So I need some cheap rear brake pads for the LWB and PT Schram tells me NAPA cheap ones are good and what I like (soft compound), so I check online and they are $20 and AVAILABLE IN STORE. Call NAPA near me, order pads to pick up next day, go to pick them up and told $94. I called yesterday with the PN and that is not what it showed online. response: "we don't do online pricing"

I said, ok, took the $50 worth of shop supplies I was going to buy, left them on the counter and said "no thanks, have a nice day."

Based on the guys reaction, I bet it happens a lot. I am tempted to call and order a bunch of weird parts because they did not ask for my name or anything when I ordered.

This should teach me to try to buy anything other than online. I hope that store goes out of business and I am sure it will with shit like this.

Ron
"Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors."
- Hunter S. Thompson
Old April 1st, 2011, 08:22 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

They are mostly all independently owned stores. Usually only the large distribution center stores are corporate owned.

Unknown Author

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 1st, 2011, 10:36 PM
mpsteil
Michael Steil
NAS 110#23,97 ST#665

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyRover View Post
They are mostly all independently owned stores. Usually only the large distribution center stores are corporate owned.
Yep. Armyrover has it right. I walk in the store to get an alternator for my wife's car. My friend who owns a shop called ahead and got my price. His price was $95. When I got there the price was $165. Called my friend from the store. He then phoned in and put it on will call as a cash sale for his shop. I pay $95. WTF? That is one big mark up.
Old April 1st, 2011, 11:32 PM
Gunmaker
Michael Ullman
1995 D90 SW #270

Registry
No Auto Parts Available
Old April 2nd, 2011, 12:34 AM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

When I was in college, I worked at a corporate NAPA and I paid 10% over cost. A $100 part typically would cost me about $30.

Unknown Author

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153
Old April 3rd, 2011, 04:55 PM
zimm
bart
anyone moves..... #238 sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsteil View Post
Yep. Armyrover has it right. I walk in the store to get an alternator for my wife's car. My friend who owns a shop called ahead and got my price. His price was $95. When I got there the price was $165. Called my friend from the store. He then phoned in and put it on will call as a cash sale for his shop. I pay $95. WTF? That is one big mark up.
all suppliers have a shop discount. its normal. thats not the same as internet pricing. you mechanic should have known hes price protected.

------ Follow up post added April 3rd, 2011 04:57 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyRover View Post
When I was in college, I worked at a corporate NAPA and I paid 10% over cost. A $100 part typically would cost me about $30.

it works the same at trade supply HVAC and plumbing. joe home owner walks in w/o a corp account, and its plus 40 points. electric not as much on resi grade due to the big box stores. industrial stuff? yep.
Old April 3rd, 2011, 05:12 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Ron,

I get wholesale prices through the Toy Store, and that includes WorldPac, Autoparts International and the usual suspects

Let me know if I could help

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat