My yearly rant about Virginia vehicle taxes. - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 19th, 2011, 11:14 AM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

Ya I bought my '94 in '97 for 27k even. It at one time was assessed around 14k or so and has steadily creeped up each year to a high this year at 24.5k of which I pay 821.00 in taxes.

Ironically I have a fully restored 1976 corvette that I could probably get about 13-14k for and I pay 33 dollars a year for that.

Unfortunately my condo won't give me a sticker without showing them the registration and the addresses have to match. Not an issue now as it is parked in my folks garage, but when I do get it running again I need to park it at my place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 20th, 2011, 04:02 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnrvrs View Post
$800/yr for tags?! Ouch. My 88 and 110 are each ~$48/yr in WA.
Be thankful you are at the other end of the state and not in Seattle. Enviro-nazi Mayor hates cars, has already jacked tag prices once, going to raise them again. Defender reg costs set to triple in just one year's time...
Old August 20th, 2011, 05:31 PM
NoVaKevin
Kevin
sold#1469

Although I sold mine, I had it registered in prince william county at a family members house. assessed value was $13,005 there at tax rate of $3.70 per $100/value for annual of $216. Ill prorate and send them payment. My bank said book is only like 18/19k. 24k assessed value is crazy. I would call and dispute that. Arlington parking sucks and they actually sent me a notice my 90 was garaged in Arlington, which I disputed in part because of their tax and decal fees and shitty parking.

arlington county doesnt even put the tax rate on their notices.

Dont you all remember the car tax debate in the late 90's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 20th, 2011, 08:06 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Bill, check if they adjust for high mileage. I know Loudoun does. I guess I should know what I pay for taxes on mine but I don't
Old August 22nd, 2011, 11:22 AM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Bill, check if they adjust for high mileage. I know Loudoun does. I guess I should know what I pay for taxes on mine but I don't
Ya I am going to to in and protest. In the past I want to say I have called them and they said that they don't count for mileage, but I am gonna go in this week and see what options I have. I have been dealing with the DMV for another car issue though and they have pretty much sapped my will to fight. I am no Tea Partier, but the bureacracy is truely nightmarish.

B
Old August 22nd, 2011, 11:24 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Maybe what you need is a "new address"...
Old August 22nd, 2011, 12:38 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Here is the code where I live in Virginia.

Quote:
Virginia Personal Property tax is assessed by the Commissioner of the Revenue, assessments are based
on the average loan value as listed in the N.A.D.A. (National Automobile Dealers Association) used car
guide. The minimum assessment is $125.00. Vehicles not listed in the guidebook are assessed by the
percentage method. Personal property tax rates are set annually by the Rockingham County Board of
Supervisors. Currently, the rate is $2.80 per $100.00 of vehicle’s assessed value.
My 1999 Disco was something like $34.00. Then another $55.00yr for tags, $16.00 state inspection, and $20.00 County/Town sticker. No emissions here, though.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
virginia