Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 13th, 2008, 11:25 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

My Xmas request of all of you

Christmas is coming fast, and if you don't already, I would like to ask each of you to do something nice for a kid in need this holiday season. Most of us here are lucky enough to have Rovers and in most of cases the folks here have jobs that allow us to have a couple bucks. Forget religion, forget the doom and gloom of the economy and please do something to help kids that are less fortunate. Put it down as good karma or just being a good human being, whatever you like. Donate a toy, they don't cost much but can make the day of a kid. Maybe donate a Rover toy and start a new future Rover fan.
My son and I do this each year and today is the day when we will head out and buy some toys to donate. So I hope that we all will do something this holiday season to make the kids happy. I'm sure you all have your own way of helping folks, this is just a gentle reminder to help the kids, please.
Thanks!!

Mike, ECR

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 13th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Great thought, Mike. And as a follow up, food banks are really getting hit right now as well, especially after the storm that just hit New England. "Hungry" isn't a fun adjective to describe the Holidays.
Old December 14th, 2008, 09:42 AM
flounder
Chad Hamon
95 Black ST

I'm trying to do my part!

Donation to St. Jude
2 Angle Tree tags
Toys for Tots
Give a Kid a coat
NC foodbank donations

For the last 5 years, my wife and I have decided to forgo giving presents to each other and spend on money on the less fortunate. It's definitely a good feeling, especially when the St. Jude commercial comes on and I know that I contributed money to help with that cause.

Great thread Mike and I hope this thread cuases everyone to do simply one thing. 10 bucks can have a huge impact on a kids life.

I applaud everyone that contributes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 14th, 2008, 10:00 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I went out with the Marines last year and gave out the Toys for Tots stuff at a Russian orphanage - it was heart-wrenching to say the least. Remember that many of these organizations can use your time as much as your $$$, so if you have a few spare hours on a weekend, don't hesitate to donate your time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old December 14th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Good thread Mike. We did the angel tree and my 4yr old picked a little boy his same age. Alot of clothes, and a shiny new bike. Wish I could see him Christmas day
Old December 14th, 2008, 01:35 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

We took on a local boy and a girl from an Angel Tree.

Great thread...

Old November 29th, 2011, 09:26 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Bringing this thread back up from the basement to hopefully get some of you to realize how lucky we all are and help out a kid this holiday season.

Thank you!
Mike ECR

Old November 29th, 2011, 09:57 AM
sirjond
Jonny
1995 D90 ST Alpine White

I use to do this every year, but haven't for a while now. Thanks the reminder, Mike!
Old November 29th, 2011, 10:50 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I am in...

Old November 29th, 2011, 11:02 AM
lordhelemt
Paul
1995 D90 #2620 & NAS 110

The wife is headed to toy r us now and will drop them in the toys for tots box. Thanks for the reminder!
RIP 1994 D90 #999 (engine fire 2002). We'll miss you.
Old November 29th, 2011, 11:49 AM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
Our club does a Toys for Tots drive every year...

Being more of a follower than a leader in this area...I am glad that others remind me to step up each year.

Current Rovers:
1994 D-90 ST #734
2006 LR3
2016 RRS

Past Rovers:
1997 Disco I
1988 Range Rover 40th Anniversary
1999 Disco II
1995 D-90 ST #2731
1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE Vitesse
2003 Range Rover HSE
2008 RRS
2013 RRS
Old November 29th, 2011, 11:54 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMSLongLake View Post
Our club does a Toys for Tots drive every year...
Likewise
Old November 29th, 2011, 12:01 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

I don't know much about Toys For Tots. But I'm curious as to who receives the benefits of the cause. Can someone explain how it works?
Old November 29th, 2011, 12:04 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
http://www.toysfortots.org/

------ Follow up post added November 29th, 2011 12:07 PM ------

Our local beneficiary is INOVA Fairfax Hospital for Children

http://www.inova.org/upload/docs/Fou...-2010x6081.pdf
Old November 29th, 2011, 12:19 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

So you donate to Toys For Tots who in return donates to the Hospital?

How do you find out who your local beneficiary is?
Old November 29th, 2011, 12:25 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman View Post
I don't know much about Toys For Tots. But I'm curious as to who receives the benefits of the cause. Can someone explain how it works?
Something I am very intimately familiar with....

Toys for Tots is run by the Marine Corps Reserve. Basically all of December we go out in town in front of places in 2 or 3 man teams, always in uniform, asking people to consider buying a toy to donate while shopping. The toys come back to a central location (here in San Diego it's the Marine Corps Reserve Center) each night, where they are sorted by appropriate age. Some items (mainly gift cards) are considered "controlled items" and stay under lock and key until handed out.

We also have boxes in locations that are generally considered safe for unattended drop-off, like the lobby of a large company, which will get collected on a regular basis.

Local coordinators work with local charities and directly with families to distribute the toys out in the last half of the month.

If you want to watch a puff piece by DoD Media....
Old November 29th, 2011, 12:26 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:

Any donation is a good one, but personally, we always donate through our local fire station. They work their magic and everything stays local.

Old November 29th, 2011, 12:29 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:

It will most likely be many people, very rarely is it one place. Your area will have a "Local Coordinator" who can give you all the info if you really want to know. It's not a secretive thing... but I would ask that if you are just curious wait until the season is over for 2 reasons... 1) they are crazy busy right now, and 2) they will have all the data at the end.

The toys almost always stay local, it's a logistical nightmare to try and ship toys, and most people want to make an impact locally anyway.
Old November 29th, 2011, 12:53 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
The toys almost always stay local, it's a logistical nightmare to try and ship toys, and most people want to make an impact locally anyway.
In the end, I guess this is what I really want to know. I would not want to donate money or a toy and have that item shipped out of state or overseas when we have needy children in my local town or County.

I can't say that I've ever seen a Toys For Tots collection set up anywhere. But that's not saying much as I rarely ever go shopping, and almost never go to the mall or a toy store. I imagine the mall or toy stores would be ideal collection spots do to the traffic....

My wife and I did donate this year to the local social services department. My employer matched our donation. The reason we chose this origination was for a few reasons, but primarily because we learned that our County has more than 1,700 kids in foster care. That seems like a lot to me. We're not in a metro area by any means. The local social services budget could not afford "gifts" for over 600 of these children this year, so we donated what we could. Social services themselves have their own problems I could rant about for days, but this money goes directly into the Christmas fund for gifts (coats, gloves, shoes, etc..). The items are purchased by the case worker, and the case worker may be responsible for 30-40 kids. There are no hidden administration or overhead fees. 100% of that dollar given is spent locally and that gift is given to a child in the local area.

That's why I ask about Toys For Tots. I'm not opposed to giving to a local chapter of XYZ to support this cause, I would just like to know where the gift is going.
Old November 29th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
In my town Toys and Clothing are managed by the FD.

Most business ( like my kids DoJo, some fine Restaurants, Office Complex, etc ) have 2 drop boxes; of course the FD has many of those boxes.

When X-mas time approaches, they distribute to hospitals with kids in bad shape, orphans, abused kids, etc.
They have their own Santa to raise the spirit of the kids as much as they can.

Many Corporations ( like your employer ) either match the collected items or strike a check for x amount.

All cash/gift cards/cheques are dropped ( most times ) directly to the FD / Shelter / Hospice or the Social Services Dept of the Hospital

Never heard of donations leaving the County, although I am aware of programs for kids in Africa, but clearly marked by the sponsored agencies

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat