My Xmas request of all of you - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old November 29th, 2011, 02:01 PM
I have never seen a rover in person
Reminder to support repeal of the AMT so I can get a tax write off for charitable donations.

*not legal advice*
Old November 29th, 2011, 02:08 PM
1995 D90
Originally Posted by dchapman View Post
In the end, I guess this is what I really want to know. I would not want to donate money or a toy and have that item shipped out of state or overseas when we have needy children in my local town or County.

I can't say that I've ever seen a Toys For Tots collection set up anywhere. But that's not saying much as I rarely ever go shopping, and almost never go to the mall or a toy store. I imagine the mall or toy stores would be ideal collection spots do to the traffic....

My wife and I did donate this year to the local social services department. My employer matched our donation. The reason we chose this origination was for a few reasons, but primarily because we learned that our County has more than 1,700 kids in foster care. That seems like a lot to me. We're not in a metro area by any means. The local social services budget could not afford "gifts" for over 600 of these children this year, so we donated what we could. Social services themselves have their own problems I could rant about for days, but this money goes directly into the Christmas fund for gifts (coats, gloves, shoes, etc..). The items are purchased by the case worker, and the case worker may be responsible for 30-40 kids. There are no hidden administration or overhead fees. 100% of that dollar given is spent locally and that gift is given to a child in the local area.

That's why I ask about Toys For Tots. I'm not opposed to giving to a local chapter of XYZ to support this cause, I would just like to know where the gift is going.
As a former CW in child protection-thank you. Those funds were always few and far between for us but it was a wonderful part of the job to deliver new clothes/toys to kids.

Old November 29th, 2011, 02:32 PM
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes
Woah Alex! Nice to see you around again.

We're in the middle of a toy drive at work right now.

Originally Posted by bjf View Post
I am talking purely from an aesthetics standpoint.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat