Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 9th, 2005, 01:31 PM
UKlandyandy
Andy
'86 exmil 90, 3.9efi auto

My truck twisted up....

Hi,

Not posted here for quite a while and I thought you'd all like to see my 90 twisted up.

Enjoy.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00760.JPG
Views:	416
Size:	334.3 KB
ID:	3526   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00766.JPG
Views:	449
Size:	323.3 KB
ID:	3527  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 9th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Rover- Girl

WOW........WICKED
Looks loke someone is a bit opsessed
in his wheels Kinda like me
Looks great
Old August 9th, 2005, 08:59 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

that is a crazy looking truck, and sorry to say, not a good crazy. your front spring is completely unseated, that will be fun on the trail. What's the point? You think that much articulation will give you better traction? Not. Like it says on the side of the truck "GON2FAR", yes, you have. You may as well go with coilovers, at least that's more practical than what you have. What the hell is up with your gas tank? Is that some new UK rock slider? That thing is sticking down a few inches below your sills. What's the point of having sliders?
I'm not one to dis anybody, but man were you beggin' for that one trying to fish for compliments. Whatís up with the holes you drilled into the side of the bonnet. Your not going to cool your engine down any faster with those; however, itís a good way to let the rain in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 9th, 2005, 09:48 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Pretty cool, but whats with the 28in tires?

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old August 9th, 2005, 10:09 PM
javelinadave
-
-

I'm with Sheki on this one......
Old August 9th, 2005, 10:10 PM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheki
Whatís up with the holes you drilled into the side of the bonnet. Your not going to cool your engine down any faster with those; however, itís a good way to let the rain in.
David, you dont think those holes are going to let some of the heat out?? Any better ideas?
Old August 9th, 2005, 10:14 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

not enought to make it worth drilling hole into the hood of your truck. It's like his suspension all show no function.
Old August 9th, 2005, 10:20 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

that roll cage is crazy too. and i never liked the look of holes in the hood.
Old August 9th, 2005, 11:31 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoloco
David, you dont think those holes are going to let some of the heat out?? Any better ideas?
I know a lot of people don't like the look of it, but they do reduce under-hood temps by a decent amount. Not sure if it is enough to see any real difference in the life of anything.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old August 9th, 2005, 11:45 PM
johnlee
John Lee

I just love these "check out my truck" threads. LOL.
Old August 10th, 2005, 12:32 AM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheki
that is a crazy looking truck, and sorry to say, not a good crazy. your front spring is completely unseated, that will be fun on the trail. What's the point? You think that much articulation will give you better traction? Not. Like it says on the side of the truck "GON2FAR", yes, you have. You may as well go with coilovers, at least that's more practical than what you have. What the hell is up with your gas tank? Is that some new UK rock slider? That thing is sticking down a few inches below your sills. What's the point of having sliders?
I'm not one to dis anybody, but man were you beggin' for that one trying to fish for compliments. Whatís up with the holes you drilled into the side of the bonnet. Your not going to cool your engine down any faster with those; however, itís a good way to let the rain in.

LOL!

I love how these "threads" turn out!

Ah! John beat me to it.
Old August 10th, 2005, 09:11 AM
DaveHuny
Van Der Waal
none

Why do you need to drill holes in the bonnet if it's a diesel? The V8's are the ones overheating!
Old August 10th, 2005, 09:32 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
If you give his signature a closer look you may notice there'd be a 3.9 under the bonnet...
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old August 10th, 2005, 10:11 AM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

Fuel tanks on UK landies are under the seats, hence the "thing sticking down below the sill." And although cones don't work all that well for some of the wheeling we do here in the states, they do work well for some of the wheeling that they do in the UK. He's put a lot into that truck and it looks like it does what he wants it to do. There are different kinds of off-roading ya know. Rock crawling isn't all there is. I kinda like it UKlandyandy.

a few people on this board have done the hood holes and yes they do help with the V8's high temps under there. Especially if you have any sort of headers on there and I would be willing to bet he does have some.

Follow-up Post:

nice 3 link BTW
Old August 10th, 2005, 10:46 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Hmmmm.....

I was under the impression that a few suspension setups, including the stock form, allowed for the springs to dislocate like that. Some companies go with retainers to keep them from un-seating, and others go with guide cones to allow them to un-seat and re-seat themselves (like this version). I know that RoverTyme and I think SafariGard offer spring cones, and this one appears to have them integrated into the axle housing.

-Hans

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old August 10th, 2005, 10:51 AM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
I was thinking about drilling some holes in my hood (bonnet) to dump a little more heat while sitting on the trail. While it does not look that great it does work. As to the rain. What part of a Defender doesn't let the rain in? I was also thinking of buying another hood. One for summer and one for winter. Maybe have some vents pressed into the summer hood with holes on the side for the summer hood. Heat is a bigger problem under my hood with the 4 barrel carb than it was with my twin carb setup and I am constantly looking for CHEAP ways to make it cooler. BTW you shoud see my spring retainers on the rear of my truck a piece of 2x6 flat steel welded to the outside of the spring seat. Ghetto but it works, and it was free.
Old August 10th, 2005, 11:03 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I've been looking to vent my hood for a while too, but I want to go with louvers instead of just drilling holes... unfortunately I can't find anybody that can do louvers the way I want them done. I know it CAN be done, since I see it in street-rods all the time in magazines, but I haven't found anybody local that can do the work.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old August 10th, 2005, 11:09 AM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan

Do you have a picture of what you're talking about Hans? I can't picture it but it sounds like it could be a good idea.
Old August 10th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Dfndr90
Matt Wunderle
1995 Defender 90

Maybe you guys should check out his website and see all the work up close.

Matt...

http://www.550-spyder.co.uk/Landy%20Area/Landy.htm
Old August 10th, 2005, 11:16 AM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan

good write ups, thanks for showing that to us Matt.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat