Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 10th, 2005, 11:31 AM
DaveHuny
Van Der Waal
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
I've been looking to vent my hood for a while too, but I want to go with louvers instead of just drilling holes... unfortunately I can't find anybody that can do louvers the way I want them done. I know it CAN be done, since I see it in street-rods all the time in magazines, but I haven't found anybody local that can do the work.

-Hans
Ron in MA (or NH?) has louvers on his hood, I can post a pic of his truck after I get home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 10th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Tezab_42
Terry Bonner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheki
that is a crazy looking truck, and sorry to say, not a good crazy. your front spring is completely unseated, that will be fun on the trail. What's the point? You think that much articulation will give you better traction? Not. Like it says on the side of the truck "GON2FAR", yes, you have. You may as well go with coilovers, at least that's more practical than what you have. What the hell is up with your gas tank? Is that some new UK rock slider? That thing is sticking down a few inches below your sills. What's the point of having sliders?
I'm not one to dis anybody, but man were you beggin' for that one trying to fish for compliments. Whatís up with the holes you drilled into the side of the bonnet. Your not going to cool your engine down any faster with those; however, itís a good way to let the rain in.
I think someones jelious...

I love it personally, Looks the Dog's Bull*cks!
Old August 10th, 2005, 11:51 AM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbass
a few people on this board have done the hood holes and yes they do help with the V8's high temps under there. Especially if you have any sort of headers on there and I would be willing to bet he does have some.

Follow-up Post:

nice 3 link BTW
Not true. Coated headers puts out way less heat than factory, uncoated will put the same or less heat than factory.

If you want to reduce heat under the hood, take it off

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfndr90
Maybe you guys should check out his website and see all the work up close.

Matt...

http://www.550-spyder.co.uk/Landy%20Area/Landy.htm
Ok, now I need to see some wheelin pictures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 10th, 2005, 11:54 AM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwisteD90
Not true. Coated headers puts out way less heat than factory, uncoated will put the same or less heat that factory.

If you want to reduce heat under the hood, take it off
That sounds a little suspect to me. I have seen headers glowing red but have never seen factory manifolds glow red. I had my factory manifolds Jet-Hot coated last year. It is supposed to reduce heat by 20% or somthing like it. Looks good too and stops it from rusting. I would think that regular uncoated headers would put out heat at least that is what i have always read. Maybe I am wrong though? I also use a thermal blanket to reduce heat into the cab of my truck. See picture below. The blanket works very well for heat reduction and reduces the noise level. Not pretty but it works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0964 (2).JPG
Views:	144
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	3528  
Old August 10th, 2005, 12:03 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

I have always heard that headers put more heat into the engine compartment also maybe I've been hearing wrong too. That's why when people do them they usually have to put some more heat shielding up. Of course, jet-hot coated ones will put way less heat in there than stock. I agree about the glowing red too. The stock manifolds have never glowed, but I have seen trucks with headers that glow, maybe that just has something to do with the type of metal, I don't know. I'll find out for sure as soon as I get the truck together!
Old August 10th, 2005, 12:16 PM
Dfndr90
Matt Wunderle
1995 Defender 90

Did some one say they wanted to see this truck offroad?

Matt...

Ok, now I need to see some wheelin pictures.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hart_7.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	318.7 KB
ID:	3529   Click image for larger version

Name:	hart_3.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	322.3 KB
ID:	3530  

Name:	hart_4.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	324.1 KB
ID:	3531  
Old August 10th, 2005, 12:47 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

CBass.... this is the idea of what I want done, but without having to ship the hood to Canada for a few weeks. I was thinking of having some along the sides toward the back, in the same spot the original poster has the holes drilled.

http://www.hotrodlouvers.com/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old August 10th, 2005, 01:06 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan

I see. It definatly wouldn't stand out quite as much as straight holes. Even though you wouldn't want the louvers in the same place as they were on the j**p hood that was posted on that website, it still looked pretty good. Let me know if you find a place that does it here in the states.
Old August 10th, 2005, 01:07 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

that might be tought to do because the aluminum is probably to thin to weld. You'll probably end up just warping the hood if you try it.
Old August 10th, 2005, 01:31 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheki
that might be tought to do because the aluminum is probably to thin to weld. You'll probably end up just warping the hood if you try it.
No welds involved. My dad did this to his sprint cars aluminium skin. I think they are pressed in. I will have to ask him today when I see him. I also recall someone in the So Cal area having done this to there hood. It might even be Doug Walkers 110 but I am not positive. It is alot easier on the eyes than the holes. This is what I was refering to when I said I wanted to have vents on my hood.

Yep, check out Doug Walkers 110 hood. He has louvers on his. Looks clean.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	56799393906_0_ALB.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	3533  
Old August 10th, 2005, 02:02 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan

Good find kellymoe, hmmm. This has got me thinking...

It really doesn't look too bad in that pic. Doug, where are you...you need to chime in and post pics of your truck! (meanwhile I'll rummage around in the owner bios)
Old August 10th, 2005, 02:20 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbass
Good find kellymoe, hmmm. This has got me thinking...

It really doesn't look too bad in that pic. Doug, where are you...you need to chime in and post pics of your truck! (meanwhile I'll rummage around in the owner bios)
I found it at www.sclr.org under the Past Trips section. Rover Rondevous sp?
Old August 10th, 2005, 02:30 PM
UKlandyandy
Andy
'86 exmil 90, 3.9efi auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
Pretty cool, but whats with the 28in tires?
Cheers David, there 32's (235/85's) on 16" Mach 5's. Current vogue here in the UK is towards 35" Simex Extreme Treckers, might change onto them when cash available as there about $280 each. However a more practical choice would be Simex Jungle Treckers in 34*10.5/16 as they'll not foul on full articulation. Were just getting X-terrains and Micky T's here too now.

Here's a couple of pics of the Simex tyres....

Cheers,
Attached Images

Old August 10th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I don't care what they all say I think your 90 KICKS ASS! Drop out cones are cool I have them all around, sliders are needed for just about any wheeling, the cage looks good and not over done, I think 34" tires would look good, and best of all I love the color!
Old August 10th, 2005, 03:26 PM
UKlandyandy
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezab_42
I think someones jelious...

I love it personally, Looks the Dog's Bull*cks!
Thanks... in reply to the other post.....

Coil-overs... limited choice in the UK & very expensive +$400 each, also it would require chassis modifications (removal of upper spring seats) and the kits would not then be bolt-on. This is not an option for most UK landy owners.

Both front & rear springs unseat & they reseat every time. The cones are on the axle to stop the bending of the spring and make relocation easier. It also reduces unsprung weight too. However, we are having special springs wound that extend to +24" because there are non available off the shelf here. You have a far greater choice of special components available from stock.

All cars used on UK roads must have there tyres covered at the widest point by the wheel arch or arch extension. If there not it's illegal and your quite likely to get pulled by the law and be fined.

The gas tank is under the seat and they do get well bashed !!! That's why there's a 1/4" plate below it... there's one under the other side two as it's going to have twin tanks installed.

With twin electric fans the bonnet holes are good for drying your hair after it rains... they let alot of heat out !! and it rains alot here....

Rock crawling... ummm.... can't say we have much of that where I go... we do have loads of mud, ruts, clay etc etc... and keeping all 4 wheels on the deck does help out.

Either way, it's built to demonstrate how far you can push the vehicle suspension with all parts being bolt-on and still keeping it UK legal !!!

BTW,

The 3Link is very effective, it uses all standard LR polybushes in the radius arms & 3rd link, so no special tools required to assemble them. It can be done in a field during a competition with the tools carried on the truck. The axle tube centre section is removable without disturbing the outer radius arms for easy diff replacement.

Cheers,
Andy

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert
I don't care what they all say I think your 90 KICKS ASS! Drop out cones are cool I have them all around, sliders are needed for just about any wheeling, the cage looks good and not over done, I think 34" tires would look good, and best of all I love the color!
Thanks Mate,

BTW, can you get Simex tyres in the US/Canada. I'm planning to move to Revelstoke, BC next year and wondered if I need to take a couple of spare sets with me. Otherwise I might swap to 15" rims to increase the tyre choice in 33/34" size.

Cheers,

Old August 10th, 2005, 03:38 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKlandyandy
BTW, can you get Simex tyres in the US/Canada. I'm planning to move to Revelstoke, BC next year and wondered if I need to take a couple of spare sets with me. Otherwise I might swap to 15" rims to increase the tyre choice in 33/34" size.
Not that I have seen. But there are better choices of tires available here. I've used Simexs in Australia so have first hand comparisons. Interco Iroks and BFG Krawlers are much better for a variety of reasons. The Simexs run about the same level as a standard Interco Super Swamper off road. Although the swampers are better on road. The swampers are quite a bit cheaper here than what I see people paying for Simex's in Australia.

If you do move let us know. Revelstoke is only a short ways away.
Old August 10th, 2005, 06:18 PM
UKlandyandy
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90
Not that I have seen. But there are better choices of tires available here. I've used Simexs in Australia so have first hand comparisons. Interco Iroks and BFG Krawlers are much better for a variety of reasons. The Simexs run about the same level as a standard Interco Super Swamper off road. Although the swampers are better on road. The swampers are quite a bit cheaper here than what I see people paying for Simex's in Australia.

If you do move let us know. Revelstoke is only a short ways away.
Hi John,

Thanks for that, will be going with the Simex JT's for the time being as there available. Yep, we'll be moving as soon as the visas get processed. Current waiting time is 18-21mths from application & were 6mths into it now. Oh... and we've just purchased a 1/4acre building plot in Revelstoke.... so were sort of committed....

Cheers,

Old August 10th, 2005, 06:19 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Ha, finally cought up with this thread! I have 80 louvers cut in Chammy's hood, they make a total area of about an 8 inch diameter hole. The heat that pours out of them is amazing! I had the louvers pressed in by a guy who makes hot rod wheels in Monrovia, CA. He charged me $100. But the big cost is that you have to strip the paint, and then repaint, which is the big cost.

I also cut 8 or 10 2" diameter holes in the inner fenders, took off the shock tower covers, and drilled some smaller holes in the horizontal plate under the headlight boxes.

Lots of air-flow in there now. I left the center of the hood solid so that rain wouldn't run on the dizzy or alternator.

Any other questions, fire away!

Doug W.
Old August 10th, 2005, 06:45 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan

Can you post some more pics of the louvers?
Old August 10th, 2005, 06:59 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

I'll have to shoot some this weekend....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat