Old November 20th, 2015, 08:44 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivermike View Post
El ignorante ataca con la boca ....

El sabio se defiende con el silencio....
Whatever. Mike, I've personally always liked the stuff you've sold and it seems like you have a solid operation, but it's time to talk with Jason and see if there's some way to make things right. Dodging questions, misdirection and using google translate to communicate is just going to make it worse for you here. Be a solid vendor and work it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 20th, 2015, 08:54 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
And it's probably time to pull in the dirty laundry, take this shit off line and work out a solution.
Old November 20th, 2015, 09:08 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
And it's probably time to pull in the dirty laundry, take this shit off line and work out a solution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 20th, 2015, 10:23 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason1st View Post
Doing your own work is not "free". It takes your time. What's your time worth?
My time is pretty valuable. I like to say if someone can do it for less than my standard billing rate... they get to do it. You are gilding the lily by saying that these repairs cost " a few" and "several thousand" dollars.

Now that I understand you have your own "shop", I don't have to feel bad about a shop raking you over the coals on a head liner and clutch job.

Mike did a crappy job on the AC.

The rest looks like the stuff you deal with on a 25+ year old truck. If you didn't pay for a new replacement part for Mike to install, and it failed when you drove it, well those are the brakes (pun intended).

Lets pretend I'm buying a $20k truck from Mike. I order a complete Kahn Chelsea wide body, wheels and a subwoofer to the tune of 20k. I write a check for $43k to cover shipping and handling. When the truck arrives the transfer case implodes and sucks every driveshaft down with it.

It's really easy to sit here on the forum and say "Well for 43k everything should work".

I'm not taking sides. I see some issues on both sides but I don't think that a Mike smear campaign is going to fix your issues Jason.

I think you got what you paid for. $50k for a 90% 25 year old truck with 10% new accessories is always going to suck.
Old November 20th, 2015, 10:38 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
And then he is obviously getting butt raped by his current mechanic that has no clue what he is doing. Makes people grumpy.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old November 20th, 2015, 11:17 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
I think you will be disappointed with the engine after a year when it is leaking like a sieve.
So, you think it will last a whole year??

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old November 21st, 2015, 01:07 AM
DailyDrivenDefende
Michael
1989 110, 1985 90 200TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
So, you think it will last a whole year??

Does he even have an engine to sell? Different engine but, a couple months ago when I asked about 4.6L. He wanted me to send my disco2 in and wait 4 months for it to get the engine rebuild done.
Old November 21st, 2015, 08:23 AM
jason1st
Jason Crandall
2006 LR3 2012 SC 1983 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackField View Post
My time is pretty valuable. I like to say if someone can do it for less than my standard billing rate... they get to do it. You are gilding the lily by saying that these repairs cost " a few" and "several thousand" dollars.

Now that I understand you have your own "shop", I don't have to feel bad about a shop raking you over the coals on a head liner and clutch job.

Mike did a crappy job on the AC.

The rest looks like the stuff you deal with on a 25+ year old truck. If you didn't pay for a new replacement part for Mike to install, and it failed when you drove it, well those are the brakes (pun intended).

Lets pretend I'm buying a $20k truck from Mike. I order a complete Kahn Chelsea wide body, wheels and a subwoofer to the tune of 20k. I write a check for $43k to cover shipping and handling. When the truck arrives the transfer case implodes and sucks every driveshaft down with it.

It's really easy to sit here on the forum and say "Well for 43k everything should work".

I'm not taking sides. I see some issues on both sides but I don't think that a Mike smear campaign is going to fix your issues Jason.

I think you got what you paid for. $50k for a 90% 25 year old truck with 10% new accessories is always going to suck.
I'm not asking Mike for money. I'm not asking Mike for parts to fix the truck. I haven't asked anyone to fix these issues. What it's costing me to rebuild the truck has nothing to do with this thread. What's in question is "should I have had these issues in the first place"?

I'm posting Mike's for sale ad and I'm posting my pics and story of what I got for $50K with import fees. If you disagree with my assessment here then you can go do business with Rivermike. Those who don't agree with you can make their own decisions on how to go forward. But the pictures don't lie.
Old November 21st, 2015, 09:38 AM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
And then he is obviously getting butt raped by his current mechanic that has no clue what he is doing. Makes people grumpy.
This.
Old November 21st, 2015, 12:14 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

That truck is a POS for $45k. Seems like a guy with lots of Defender experience,
the seller took advantage of a buyer with little or no experience.
It also is sad that many people on this Forum are blaming the buyer for getting taken advantage of.
As just one small example Mike says he never told Jason that the headliner was " new".
However, he said what type of headliner do you want? The " original" type? Or something else?
To me that sounds like a new headliner, just original type.
Those pics show the original "hairy" style which was obviously not replaced.

I myself would have thought I was getting a new headline.
And that AC and leaking brakes etc.
He got totally ripped off.
Old November 21st, 2015, 12:29 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by discotdi View Post
That truck is a POS for $45k. Seems like a guy with lots of Defender experience, the seller took advantage of a buyer with little or no experience. It also is sad that many people on this Forum are blaming the buyer for getting taken advantage of. As just one small example Mike says he never told Jason that the headliner was " new". However, he said what type of headliner do you want? The " original" type? Or something else? To me that sounds like a new headliner, just original type. Those pics show the original "hairy" style which was obviously not replaced. I myself would have thought I was getting a new headline. And that AC and leaking brakes etc. He got totally ripped off.
Mike had ample opportunity to step up and attempt to do this guy right. Instead he approaches the whole conversation defensively and condescendingly. Which is how people approach matters when they don't respect or appreciate their clients. I bet the tone is not the same before the wire transfer hits his account. This form is a flea market booth to him. Personally folks can do better and they should think hard about buying directly from the European market. The economy sucks there and vendors are desperate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 21st, 2015, 12:29 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
I think BlackField hit the nail on the head. Lots of ways a rig could be worth $45k.

First pic with the paint and Boosts - I like it and I don't like pretty trucks and Boosts. That color is very flattering.

Like BlackField said - hit up Mike for the $3k AC unit as that was his "add-on" and done shitty. Bolts for the Mantec? Who gives a shit - swap them for hex bolts with good washers. Would you have complained if it was the OEM fasteners that rust within a year? Fastenal makes a nice hex head 10.9 bolt that is supposed to be very corrosion resistant but are a few bones each.

You said it didn't drive down the road without issue at 30mph - but what was the cause? A U-J could have given up ghost and given those symptoms. Was the motor, gearbox and xfer case shot as well? Maybe I missed the cause in one of the posts.

To answer your question about what it is worth:

- $45k - your truck with very good (maybe even great body paint?) - very nice and new Exmoor interior, solid frame, LHD, Boosts! Mantec, sliders and burly looking MT's
- $3-4K from RiverMike to fix/replace the AC
- $25k for motor and tranny swap (I would have done an LS swap with auto if you were going that far into it) and fix the rear axle and doors sills.

From some of the 110s I have seen on here that could be worth close to 100k and should be worth the 70-75k you have into it.
Old November 21st, 2015, 12:37 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
No question Mike's sale add was purposely misleading. That door threshold picture could have depicted its true condition, but he chose not too. So much for 'rust free'. $5 clutch peddle rubber would have been a nice touch, but guess that was not in the SOW. When people show you who they are, believe them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1859649067.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	277.0 KB
ID:	135291   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2030108746.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	368.2 KB
ID:	135292  

Name:	image-3244265243.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	290.9 KB
ID:	135293   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2563930257.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	299.0 KB
ID:	135294  

Name:	image-2679416473.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	312.8 KB
ID:	135295   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3813222077.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	237.0 KB
ID:	135296  

Old November 21st, 2015, 12:53 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
Mike had ample opportunity to step up and attempt to do this guy right. Instead he approaches the whole conversation defensively and condescendingly. Which is how people approach matters when they don't respect or appreciate their clients. I bet the tone is not the same before the wire transfer hits his account. This form is a flea market booth to him. Personally folks can do better and they should think hard about buying directly from the European market. The economy sucks there and vendors are desperate.
Agree

Confused on some of the parts: RiverMike seems to say he wants to make right but OP said he has been not reachable. Then OP says he doesn't want money from RiverMike in his recent post.
Old November 21st, 2015, 01:27 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
Agree

Confused on some of the parts: RiverMike seems to say he wants to make right but OP said he has been not reachable. Then OP says he doesn't want money from RiverMike in his recent post.
I took the no cash money to mean that he just wanted his truck fixed, i.e. no extortion.
Old November 21st, 2015, 08:04 PM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
All that matters at this point is this thread exists. If it was a great deal without bullshit it wouldn't. You can "this" and that all you want, this was a blatant bling only build, if that's what you want to call it. Best of luck to you Jason, when you are done I'm sure this will be a nice 110.
1991 Range Rover Classic (sold)
1995 Range Rover Classic (sold)
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Old November 21st, 2015, 08:59 PM
SonnyAK
Sonny
1993 NAS 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason1st View Post
I'm not asking Mike for money. I'm not asking Mike for parts to fix the truck. I haven't asked anyone to fix these issues. What it's costing me to rebuild the truck has nothing to do with this thread. What's in question is "should I have had these issues in the first place"?

I'm posting Mike's for sale ad and I'm posting my pics and story of what I got for $50K with import fees. If you disagree with my assessment here then you can go do business with Rivermike. Those who don't agree with you can make their own decisions on how to go forward. But the pictures don't lie.
You should definitely not be having the troubles that you are, with having spent this much for a ROW 110...It's a true shame...
Old November 21st, 2015, 09:26 PM
cowboy
steven
'84 110 & '90 127 LHD 2-carb V8's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Way above my mechanical pay grade, but I can only assume that Red90 sees something here that I'm not seeing. Another sad example of the need to use a vetted LR indy shop, even if you have to cash in a AAA marker to get it towed across a few counties to do so. I just hope that my 2 semi-local stars can survive Obama & Hillary's war on small businesses.
Old November 21st, 2015, 09:50 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyAK View Post
You should definitely not be having the troubles that you are, with having spent this much for a ROW 110...It's a true shame...
Bull shit.

I have yet to see a single import truck advertised on this site that has a rebuilt transmission and tcase and major engine overhaul. People consistently buy flashy pieces of shit for $35k-50k on this site and have their vehicles shit the bed a few months later if not within the first week. There was a 110 5 door recently that a bunch of folks ogled over that sold for $35k. Comments on how great the paint looked. There was overspray EVERYWHERE! !! I'd wager 50 bucks I know the sound that truck's transmission makes.

If you pay for a shiny turd and don't have it refurbished mechanically then you are at fault.

The air con hoses are pretty ghetto for the price in this case and the body matched flares paint chipping. I can't tell about the leak from the pics but I know the shipping/processing company pressure washed the shit out of my truck so maybe it somehow got fudged? I can't imagine a torn down and reassembled truck would leak that way considering my truck is 30+ years on original roof rubber seals and it doesn't leak.

The stance that the masses are taking of "this truck has shiny paint therefore every piece on the truck must be new" is ridiculous, though.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	uj91h.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	135348  

You little rebel, I like you.
Old November 21st, 2015, 09:59 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
Way above my mechanical pay grade, but I can only assume that Red90 sees something here that I'm not seeing..
You need to read his other threads.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, import