My "new" tractor cab cadet 682 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 29th, 2014, 02:01 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

My "new" tractor cab cadet 682

My father purchased a 682 cub cadet 44in deck in 1984 for the princely sum of $3800 (with a snow blower attachment -- he lives north of buffalo.) His is the classic cream and yellow of the post MTD purchase of cub cadet from international harvester. I loved tooling around on it as a kid and I have always wanted one. I knew he would never give his up. I wanted the same tractor, but hopefully in corn binder international harvester red. I watched craigslist on and off for years looking for that tractor. I was tempted by a 782 but missed out while waffling for a couple hours about the hydraulic lift feature. It was also $2000. I looked at a couple older ones but they did not sing the same song. I did not want the manual trans of the 582 and wanted the kohler engine so no 982. It had to be a 682 and if it was the older red model, all the better. Well, what popped up on craigslist a couple days ago: a red one owner 682 with a snow plow and a 44in deck. Running, hydro transmission working fine, PTO working fine, and, other than the seat being worn, in nice non-rusty shape with original paint. Anyway, here is my "new" tractor. It matches the portofino D90 pretty well methinks.

Anyone else into old mowers?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1616280238.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	611.1 KB
ID:	97772  
Advertisement

Old June 29th, 2014, 05:38 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Sweet. I got my grandfathers John Deere when he passed away. It's early-80s but it was still my dream ride when I was 10. Jill has her eye on her dad's Minneapolis Moline.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old June 29th, 2014, 08:07 AM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
There is a club called the Florida flywheelers. They have a huge plot of land near me. They have antique tractor pulls, swap meets and carnie food. All of the old guys ride old lawn mowers and home made rigs. It's a good day to go and see the crazy stuff they come up with and display. http://www.floridaflywheelers.org/aboutus.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 29th, 2014, 10:00 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Very cool Ron! I have never seen a Cub Cadet in red although I am not up to snuff in that market.

We had one growing up that the old man scrounged someplace and brought it back from the dead. I used to "clean" our long stone driveway with a piece of chainlink fence with a cinder block or old tire laid on top. Not to mention mowing all the grass we had. I know I chewed up the blades pretty good and feel bad my dad had to sharpen them.

Once I started working landscaping I feel in love with the "zero turn" Bobcat 48" walkers. Got one of the original Bobcat mowers with a smoky Briggs and used that for mowing our property over the Cub Cadet. Swapped out the Briggs for a nice Kohler (what an engine).

Also ran Scags for a year or so with another outfit. They made the Bobcats feel light duty and my hands were like vice grips by the end of the summer operating those controls. He had a Hustler 52" rider that had great controls and we'd fight to get a chance to operate it.

When I finally got my own house, my parents brought that old Bobcat 48" down to NJ in the back of a Volvo 245 (which only a few of you guys can believe or see working, haha).

Ran another 48" Bobcat walker that I bought new after that original one was way too tired and I had a little money. Always wanted a new Scag but they were more money and overkill for 1x cut per week application.

A few years ago, I bought a 48" Bobcat rider. More designed for home/farm/school use but still a well built machine. I bought a small trailer and fabbed a hitch so I can carry wood/stone/etc if needed. It gives a nice cut but it's slope capabilities aren't the best.

I have been eyeing those stand up riders. My landscaping buddy swears by them as a nice combo of walk behind maneuverability and being able to "ride".

Ron - that $3,800 price tag is insane! I think my Bobcat rider was that much in 2005 and I thought that was expensive. Sorry to steer away from Cub Cadet but thought the BobCat and Scags weren't far off.

Not sure if I would ever buy an old Cadet but wouldn't mind finding a Gravely to restore if I had the time. Although smaller in size those things make Rovers look like play toys, haha.
Old June 29th, 2014, 10:57 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
I had a trusty JD 318 for years until it just became a gas-swilling pig.
I needed a shaft-driven PTO snowblower and went to the diesel JD 455.
I like it, but the 318 was an ole school real tractor with thick gauge metal every where.

The older simplex and cubs were the same way. Built to last generations.
Good luck and enjoy!
Old June 29th, 2014, 11:09 AM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Ooh.. sweet ride. Melikes mini tractor.
Old June 30th, 2014, 12:29 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

That's awesome.
Old June 30th, 2014, 01:45 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Thanks Danny.

I should add I have been doing a bunch of research on this and, my tractor is actually newer than I thought it was and the date cut off is not hard on red v. cream and yellow. Apparently, Red tractors were sold by IH dealers even after the Cub Cadet spin off and cream and yellow were sold by Cub Cadet dealers -- even though they are the same other than the paint. Also, the early 682 (and 782) with the series 1 KT17 Kohler apparently did not like side slopes, but the newer ones (mine is an 83) with the series 2 KT17 have a pressurized oiling system and are better. Mine is a few thousand after the switch over to the series 2 motor.

I need to get it serviced (7 quarts of Hy-tran and a filter in the transmission, oil change, grease everything up really nice).
Old June 30th, 2014, 02:16 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Get a set of chains. I put them on and just leave them all the time. These things will spin the loose wheel, so keeping traction is a good thing.
After you change a few primary drive belts on that thing you'll be looking for a Gravely.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"

All my troubles are Rover
Old June 30th, 2014, 02:24 PM
evilfij
evilfij

I am going to fit some rudds to it when winter comes. I bet the ones off my RRC will fit. If not, they are reasonably cheap.

What is wrong with the primary drive belt? To be honest, she is not going to do much mowing in my yard, just plowing.
Old June 30th, 2014, 04:57 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
They make both a three point hitch and a loader to fit that thing. The three point lets you use a baby bottom plow. 'Course on your place time the plow bites you gotta turn around. Or are you talking about snow plowing? Let me tell ya, garden tractors SUCK at snow pushing. Now if you fit it with a snow blower, THEN you can move some stuff.
My Gravely (with the same 12 horse Kohler BTW) has a PTO that goes thru the front axle and the blower fits on some doo dads that bolt to the frame. I had zero opportunity to use it last year even tho we had huge snow.
I used the big tractor with the woods 6' blade on the back and pushed snow while reversing. Took half my gravel drive with it! Anyway you'll figure it out. Best to keep a good supply of Caol Ila on hand so's you can run in and get warmed up then back out for more seat time. There's also an enclosure they make that's canvas and isinglass that helps keep the bad weather off your bean.
Oh and as if you don't have enough time to blow on forums you can join Nate Dunsmore and me over on tractorbynet:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/cub-cadet/

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"

All my troubles are Rover
Old June 30th, 2014, 05:48 PM
evilfij
evilfij

I have a quarter acre. I am not plowing any ground, just snow and really it is for my sidewalk.

Mine is a 17hp kohler twin. Not the 12hp.
Old June 30th, 2014, 06:20 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Had a 15 hp Koehler single lung in a JD until it had a ring failure and burnt it's own oil. So now I'm driving a Briggs twin in a Husky.
Old June 30th, 2014, 06:58 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

My dad had two Craftsman 18HP Tractors with all the utensils... One was a 76 and the other was an 84. He still has both, and they still run, although require a little TLC.

I spent countless hours on those perfecting my driving and off roading skills... And cutting 2.5 acres.

Old June 30th, 2014, 07:01 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
The Briggs twin 18hp (the comm/ind. version ) isn't so bad. I had one in an older MTD before everything except the engine began failing. After the MTD I went to vintage Deere tractors and never looked back. First was the early 80s 318 and when that Onan 18 started to use oil, I went to a Yanmar 3-cyl in a 455 and have been pleased ever since. This machine does everything I need on 1.25 acres ans sips fuel.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 12:10 PM
oilburner
JL
large pile of parts

Ron that is a nice machine.

I am JL and I have a tractor problem that rivals my LR addiction.

This was my garden tractor up until last year. Pasquali 988, 38 hp Lombardini twin cyl air cooled diesel, triple range with crawler gears, diff lock, articulated, air brakes and onboard compressor for airtools, all in a package that's the size of a lawn tractor. I used it with a 5 ft flail mower and for selective logging. I had 4 Trygg chains for it. It would go anywhere. The center joint is articulated for steering and for axle articulation as well (2 axis) so it will clamber over anything. The limitation is usually the human trying to hang on to the bloody thing.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pasquali.jpg
Views:	1753
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	97974  
Diesel-swapped 1994 80 series Land-cruiser
And a difflocked 4wd turbodiesel Lambo
Old July 2nd, 2014, 01:19 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Ok that is a serious machine.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 02:38 PM
oilburner
JL
large pile of parts

It was great in the woods but not so great on grass. The articulated steering was actually a PITA around the house as the 3 point mounted mower would swing all over. It was a lot easier to mow backwards than forward.

I live in some crazy steep terrain so mowing is a PITA. I bought a little POS lawn tractor to replace it, but it is terrifying on hills. I keep thinking that maybe a heavier duty lawn tractor like that IH with loaded tires would do better.
Diesel-swapped 1994 80 series Land-cruiser
And a difflocked 4wd turbodiesel Lambo
Old July 2nd, 2014, 03:23 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilburner View Post
It was great in the woods but not so great on grass. The articulated steering was actually a PITA around the house as the 3 point mounted mower would swing all over. It was a lot easier to mow backwards than forward. I live in some crazy steep terrain so mowing is a PITA. I bought a little POS lawn tractor to replace it, but it is terrifying on hills. I keep thinking that maybe a heavier duty lawn tractor like that IH with loaded tires would do better.
First off - awesome tractor! That thing is rad! I would have loved that at my parents place way back when.

For mowing steep stuff - get a walker or a really wide rider like a 52"+ I have a little section that is actually not all that steep but I still hate mowing it with the rider. It tears up the grass and just feels sketchy. My landscape buddy got effed up cutting a steeper slope on a stand on.

Another option - let it grow and brush hog it a few times a year. You could do an add-a-wheel on a Gravely for stability.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 03:24 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
While not as bad ass as JL's ride I have a mid 90's John Deere F1145. Its a shift on the fly 2wd/4wd, rear steer, nearly zero turn, hydrostatic drive, 28hp yanmar diesel powered tractor with a 60 inch deck (been looking for a 72) and takes other front mount attachments. Tractor has just over 2200 hrs and runs like a top. Even with this beast it still takes 3-4 hrs to mow my 3+ acres of lawn.
Tractor and deck weigh in @ nearly 2400 lbs.

I bought it used but new they were about the price of a NAS90 in the 90's.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...f1145%20images

If anyone is interested in them I have two electric start dual wheeled Gravely model L's with 40 inch decks and sulkies. They need new homes. Also have 4ft dozer blades for ea of them.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat