My new NAS 110 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 27th, 2007, 08:24 PM
ORover
Fred
NAS 110s #24 and #466

My new NAS 110

I'm doing a restoration on my new NAS 100 #24 and I will share when I can. I'm impressed at the quality of the Defender materials so far. The plastics don't seem brittle and the rubber is very high quality. Whatever I can't refurbish will be replaced. Here are a few shots of today's work (I resored the headlight surrounds, the amber turn signals and the grill and mesh).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA270729.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	10848   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA270731.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	10849  

Name:	PA270734.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	10850  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 27th, 2007, 08:41 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Welcome to the board... Congrats on the 110. I want one of those next.

Scott

Old October 27th, 2007, 10:37 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

I laughed a little about the quality comments... i feel the exact opposite about mine!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 27th, 2007, 10:47 PM
ORover
Fred
NAS 110s #24 and #466

I've been around too many late model Merdedes-Benzes I guess. Most plastic car parts that are 14 years old just break when you try and take them apart. The plastic on the 110 is still nice and pliable, definitely not the cheapest like you might find on a "93 Ford Taurus or Honda Accord of the same vintage. It could also be because the 110 was in a mild, non-corrosive climate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkavan01
I laughed a little about the quality comments... i feel the exact opposite about mine!
Old October 28th, 2007, 12:16 AM
DaineseUSA
Michael Pham
97 d90 SW #0273

I'll ask as I'm sure others beside me want to know.......

Can you tell briefly about how exactly you did your restore on the grill/headlight surrounds

What product you used? Approximate cost?

Thanks!

Michael
Old October 28th, 2007, 01:27 AM
Classic Rover
Gary Younger
Range Rover Classics

Smile Welcome aboard the Rover addiction

Fred,

I was looking at #24 but I wasn't quick enough it! Congratulations. Best of Rovering! Please keep us abreast of your restorations.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.com
Old October 28th, 2007, 02:25 AM
ORover
Fred
NAS 110s #24 and #466

I used black plastic enamel by Valspar. Primed the plastic first with a plastic primer. Make sure to use rubbing alcohol and clean the surface thoroughly first. 3 light coats 15 minutes apart, the first coat is almost a dusting. I've used this before on cars and it lasts for at least 5 years. Any tips for getting the interior door panels off? Cost was $7.00 for primer and paint. Also painted the metal grill behind the plastic with a high heat aluminum colored enamel. Tomorrow I tackle the interior, the wheels and the rock sliders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaineseUSA
I'll ask as I'm sure others beside me want to know.......

Can you tell briefly about how exactly you did your restore on the grill/headlight surrounds

What product you used? Approximate cost?

Thanks!

Michael
Old October 28th, 2007, 11:25 AM
mpsteil
Michael Steil
NAS 110#23,97 ST#665

Fred, the first thing you do when taking off the door panels is order the black male plastic parts that snap into the white plastic parts that snap in the door. Sorry I cant remember what they are really called but they are very cheap, like .20 cents each. Get a bunch because I bet you will break quite a few. Also go to a good auto parts store and buy a trim removal tool. You can also get the tool at sears or Crutchfield online. Mike

Follow-up Post:

Interior Door Trim Fastener Rovers North part#MXC1800, these attach to your door and they pop into a female Snapsac(part#MWC3136,again a RN #) that attaches to the door itself. You should need less of these but I know you drivers side door needs one at the top as I had ran out of them when putting your door panel back on. Also, I know you can get these parts at other places,the dealer might even stock them. Both parts were .55 each at RN. Mike
Old October 28th, 2007, 11:32 AM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
If a 110 is the same as a 97 d90, then you can find more detailed info on another thread. But, in short, be sure to remove the roll up window handle, door lock surround and door handle insert. Remove these first, then it is just a matter of popping it off. Good luck, don't pull too hard, work it out slowly.

Also, the parts you painted look good. I noticed a little shine to them, so I know you didn't replace them. When I was redoing mine, I just bought new ones. I think that for the headlight surrounds, and new grill it was less than $60 from RDS. Pretty cheap for rover parts. Also while you are at it, you can order all new lights and it will make the truck look really nice.

97 D90 SW
Old October 28th, 2007, 02:31 PM
ORover
Fred
NAS 110s #24 and #466

Thanks for the tips. I'm buying the retainer pegs/clips first before I remove the door panels. I did some more paint prep work mostly today as well as epoxy coating of the rock sliders. The shiny look disappears in about two months but I actually like the semi-gloss shine to it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyOval
If a 110 is the same as a 97 d90, then you can find more detailed info on another thread. But, in short, be sure to remove the roll up window handle, door lock surround and door handle insert. Remove these first, then it is just a matter of popping it off. Good luck, don't pull too hard, work it out slowly.

Also, the parts you painted look good. I noticed a little shine to them, so I know you didn't replace them. When I was redoing mine, I just bought new ones. I think that for the headlight surrounds, and new grill it was less than $60 from RDS. Pretty cheap for rover parts. Also while you are at it, you can order all new lights and it will make the truck look really nice.
Old October 29th, 2007, 11:11 AM
ORover
Fred
NAS 110s #24 and #466

Here's another shot. Interior is coming together nicely. Anyone know where to get a new carpet kit if I can't get the old one perfect? I'm also thinking of adding DynaMat under the carpets for added noise supression. Anyone on the board try this (I've seen it on ECR's website).

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORover
I'm doing a restoration on my new NAS 100 #24 and I will share when I can. I'm impressed at the quality of the Defender materials so far. The plastics don't seem brittle and the rubber is very high quality. Whatever I can't refurbish will be replaced. Here are a few shots of today's work (I resored the headlight surrounds, the amber turn signals and the grill and mesh).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PA280012.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	10881  
Old October 29th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Jon_Winningham
Sterling M Archer
1995 AA Yellow NAS D90 #2986

Registry
Fred that looks nice...

I should send mine out to you for some freshining up!

Did you replace the pannels?
1995 NAS Defender 90 AA Yellow #2986: Current
2009 Range Rover Supercharged Black/Black: Current

1993 NAS Defender 110 #375/500: Sold
1995 NAS Defender 90 Soft Top Beluga Black #2556: Sold
1991 Range Rover Hunter Green: Sold
1997 NAS Defender 90 Station Wagon Portofino Red #128: Sold
1993 NAS Defender 110 Beluga Black #215/500: sold
Old October 29th, 2007, 01:54 PM
PCRover
Gary Young
'94 90ST -> SW

Fred, It looks great! I saw this truck when Mike had it and you have done wonders with it. Are you planning on painting any of the interior pieces, or just cleaning them up? Post some picture of the interior so we can see your completed restoration.
Old October 29th, 2007, 05:48 PM
ORover
Fred
NAS 110s #24 and #466

I will be painting/ refinishing anything that needs it. For example, the A/C panel needs to be re-colored with the white outlines and the red and blue "wedges". The dash has four 1/16 inch foles drilled in the top of it that I will need to repair with some plastic patch. If it's noticeable, I'll just get a new dash. I cleaned the wheels with denatured alcohol. I then touched up the wheels with Alpine white 456 (which I had to tint with a little beige myself because of matching new paint with aged paint). I took off all the aftermarket window and bumper decals with a razor blade and cleaned the windows thoroughly as well with the razor. I need to figure out a good, durable way to get the rear bumper black again. I'll keep posting as things progress.

-Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCRover
Fred, It looks great! I saw this truck when Mike had it and you have done wonders with it. Are you planning on painting any of the interior pieces, or just cleaning them up? Post some picture of the interior so we can see your completed restoration.
Old October 29th, 2007, 06:18 PM
PCRover
Gary Young
'94 90ST -> SW

Thanks Fred, I am starting an interior retrofit myself on my D90 and could use any tips/tricks you figure out.
Old October 29th, 2007, 08:20 PM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

Fred,

Please post everything you can on your work as it will come in handy as I slowly work on mine.
Matt
Old October 29th, 2007, 08:20 PM
mpsteil
Michael Steil
NAS 110#23,97 ST#665

Fred, check with George at Rovers Down South, he has that AC dash trim part that was on special for the longest time. It is OEM and is not that much. I bought one for my other 110 and I think it was either $10 or $30. Way to cheap to try to fix what you have. Mike

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, nas, nas 110