My MegaSquirt is arriving this week :-) - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 27th, 2004, 10:18 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

My MegaSquirt is arriving this week :-)

Just got the notice that my first MegaSquirt EFI computer is shipping this today and should arrive later this week.

First attempt will be going into the Jeep (why risk the GOOD 4x4?) If all goes well, the Defender gets one soon afterwards.... provided I get the head gaskets and timing chain done first.

I will be doing my best to document both conversions.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 28th, 2004, 07:46 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Hans what are you doing to control the stepper? I was thinking something manual for now but I'm not sure.
Old December 28th, 2004, 09:19 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

For the Jeep, I'm just not going to use the stepper yet (if ever). I might pick up one of those bosche units they had in the MegaSquirt instructions if it needs the extra idle speed when cold. I'll be using the fast-idle output to activate a fuel heater in the intake manifold.

By the time I do the Defender, MS-II should be available, which will offer the stepper control in it. But with recent experience with that stepper motor, I don't even know if it's worth using. Before I reset my Lucas ECU, the truck always idled at 750rpm all dumb and happy, I don't think the stepper was being used at all for some reason. Now that it IS being used, the idle bounces all over the damned place all the time... especially right after I come to a stop. I might just lock the stepper down and use the same Bosche thingie in the defender too if it works well.

When people have the whole Idle stepper control figured out, then I might start using it again simply because it's there and unobtrusive. But until then I think I'm breaking enough new ground for myself.

-Hans

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 28th, 2004, 09:23 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
But until then I think I'm breaking enough new ground for myself.
LOL I know what you mean. I think I'm going to just deal with the problem when the time arrives, I just hope it's not 20 below!
Old December 29th, 2004, 03:16 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

And the box has arrived. I am drooling with anticipation, and I highly recommend the "Glens Garage" pre-packed kit. Very nicely packaged, with a nice little addendum sheet of the most current designer approved modifications.

-Hans

Old December 29th, 2004, 05:03 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
And I am tracking your project with great interest - I think the Mega Squirt is frickin cool.

I dont know if you've checked out the "success stories" section of MSEFI website, but under Alfa Romeo, there is a guy who build a Ford Hotrod with an Alfa twin-cam 4. He used Suzuki GSXR (sp?) individual throttle bodies. I would friggin love to build a motor like that for my Alfa.

Maybe after I finish this Tdi conversion...
Old December 31st, 2004, 12:29 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

CPU is all done, really not too bad at all. Just take your time, use a steady hand and test at every stage. Everything tests out just fine so far, more external components still needed before I can continue.

-Hans

Old January 6th, 2005, 04:36 PM
rustydefender
Russell Newton
97 D-90 sw

what is the url for those things?
Old January 6th, 2005, 04:38 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
megasquirt.info