my d90 update - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 11th, 2007, 06:29 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

my d90 update

I have spent some time sorting things neglected from the previous owner before tackling any serious upgrades. It sure kicks ass having a lift. Overall, everything is pretty good. Mostly light surface rust and mud underneath with the exception of the fuel tank carrier. I will make a new one out of a much heavier guage steel and swiss cheese it a little for water drainage. I should be able to mass produce that pretty cheap if I can help anyone out with a viable alternative to the 150$ galvanized part. Keep in mind, I am not a vendor, more of a buddy deal thing.

I will put it on the lift and give it the heated pressure washer treatment as soon as the weather turns. Then I will give it some rust protection and we will be good for another five years or so.

I noticed a small drip from the front diff pinion seal and ordered on from rovers north although I am learning that some of the parts can be found for a lot less with a little research. I found that the parking/trans brake was not holding well and saw that the cable adjustment was ran pretty far out already. This led me to pull the drum for an inspection and found that the transfer output seal is bad. I adjusted the drum for a temp fix while waiting for the new seal.

The oil pan plug is dripping but I will wait to fix it when it needs a change.

One of the little green condom covered light bulbs was bad on the tach and is on order.

I slapped in a kenwood and some waterfroof 6.5" speakers as well as a xm setup. Got used to no commercials.

decided to retain and just modify the existing front bumper setup by welding on a plate between the frame wells for stability and extending it for a 9000lb setup and some recovery areas, without really altering factory looks. Should be done next week and sent to the powdercoaters.

My neighbor, the custom chopper fabricator, is going to design my jerry can racks as well the highlift mounting points for the back, making use of the existing tire carrier.

I am very interested in the safari gard lift setup or any others you guys/gals have experience with as well as their road manners.

I will keep you updated on the diesel swap.

Thanks for listening to my ramblings and your suggestions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 11th, 2007, 11:54 PM
97D90
Andrew Walcker
1997 Defender 90 LE

Man, you are making me feel like a bump on a log! Seriously, you have gotten more done than I have in the last 6 months I have the SG Stage 3 lift w/ the 3-Link and it works just fine. I think the only thing that really has set SG apart in the past from other companies is the 3-Link. If you go with the search route in this site you will find a lot of information on other vendors that produce great suspension kits.
Old February 12th, 2007, 09:24 AM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck1974

My neighbor, the custom chopper fabricator, is going to design my jerry can racks as well the highlift mounting points for the back, making use of the existing tire carrier.

I am very interested in the safari gard lift setup or any others you guys/gals have experience with as well as their road manners.
Like this carrier
http://www.rovertracks.com/images/cu...ierfinalTH.jpg

Not sure if SG is still selling their own springs or OME with spacers. If you will be getting their springs (super long with 5 dead coils) then go for it, but if they are selling the kit with OME and spacers then just build your own suspension setup. Just get the 3-link from them, it's worth it.
Advertisement

Old February 12th, 2007, 12:19 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwisteD90
Like this carrier
http://www.rovertracks.com/images/cu...ierfinalTH.jpg

Not sure if SG is still selling their own springs or OME with spacers. If you will be getting their springs (super long with 5 dead coils) then go for it, but if they are selling the kit with OME and spacers then just build your own suspension setup. Just get the 3-link from them, it's worth it.
yes, nice looking rack. thanks for the info
Old February 12th, 2007, 02:17 PM
97D90
Andrew Walcker
1997 Defender 90 LE

I ordered my SG suspension about a year ago and they were using the OME coils and spacers to get the 3" of lift. I went w/ Rovertym springs instead. I agree, get a 3-Link w/ the HD cross-bar.
Old February 12th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Very cool project you got there. Keep us all in the loop. Something to consider, that engine with weight and torque will overwhelm both the front springs and the drivetrain. Be sure to keep that in mind as you get going.

Dave

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old February 12th, 2007, 08:35 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

thanks buck. look forward to your input more.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, d90