My Big DSource Gripe - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 14th, 2015, 09:52 PM
Himalaya
Mark WS
1995 Nas, 86 D110, 97 Hummer H1

My Big DSource Gripe

This is a great Forum and its a great way to trade, sell, learn and share.

Heres what really pisses me off.

1. Post a vehicle with a price! If you seriously want to sell it, post it. Feeler...what the heck is that about?
Selling a part. POST A PRICE.

2. TODAYS CRAP. When you post a vehicle for sale, like a Series Rover for example and I or someone buys it at full asking price. Then I drive to FEDEX and back (hour and half) to send the money overnight, dont bloody inform me by email and say someone else offered $500 more than the asking price that I BLOODY WELL AGREED TO PAY AND SENT said funds!
Then the thread gets removed before anyone can make a comment on said actions. What the heck is that about. Yes, I am talking about todays transaction!

From seller.
"Hi Mark,
The other guy came back and offered me $2000 for the truck, I can't say no to more money. "

I guess his integrity was worth $500. Thing is I would have paid the asking price, however that is not what it was advertised at. I just agreed to his price overnighted to him.

This happens on ebay purchases as well. I bought a Defender in UK on ebay. Paid the funds. Then seller sends back the funds saying that he thinks its worth more than what I paid. However in the meantime the bank fluctuates prices in exchange and the NO GO transaction ends up costing a few hundred bucks. Perhaps a collective group buy on a DSource hit man would be appropriate. You send your funds in, and if enough of the same name shows up. Pop. Disappeared.

3. Licking. If you lick it (who ever came up with that stupid term) then pay for it and buy it. Those of us who legitimately look for something, but its been licked look elsewhere. Then its suddenly unlicked due to wife says you can't afford it. It goes back on sale and sells yet again and before those of us who actually work for a living lose out twice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 14th, 2015, 10:14 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

It's a whores business. With regards to licking. Once you lick, you can't un-lick. Imagine a tootsie pop.
Old July 14th, 2015, 10:15 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Agreed.

While we're at it, let's add "I could be interested" to the list. These milquetoast, passive voice responses annoy me to no end. You're either down to buy something or you're not. You're ready to send a Paypal as soon as the seller gives you his e-mail or you're not ready. Whenever someone says, "I could be interested," it's really just a way of saying that your wife has your balls tied to the bedpost and you dream of buying this thing but you know that you're never going to do it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 14th, 2015, 10:19 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
If it was anyone else i wouldn't have out bid ya, but your trucks are hideous and every one you make has Maurice Wilks turning over in his grave.

If it makes you feel any better I'll be putting a lot of time and rebuilding this one from the ground up, and keeping it for a very VERY long time

You had the option to match price man... his integrity isn't worth $500? Perhaps the truck isn't worth $500 to you.
Old July 14th, 2015, 10:28 PM
Contractor
Will
1969 IIA

I have not been around this forum that long, but have been on plenty of other sites and agree. Things like that get you banned in pretty short order.

I saw the sale thread earlier, but missed whatever transpired beyond early afternoon. Sellers remorse is chicken $hit………sell it for what you were asking and suck it up if you screwed up.

I have never heard of licking until I came here…….licking is the dumbest thing I have ever seen. You either send me paypal, pay me cash, wire me money or some other form of payment. Until I have the crispy bills in my hand or the money in my account you have not licked jack….all you've done is posted on my thread.

Anyway, I feel your pain. It seems to happen pretty much anywhere until people that break the rules get banned, until then expect nothing to change.
Old July 14th, 2015, 10:41 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Himalaya View Post
Then the thread gets removed before anyone can make a comment on said actions. What the heck is that about. Yes, I am talking about todays transaction!
Are you sure? I didn't remember any moderation activities today and I don't see any record of a deleted thread. I do see a $1500 series in the for sale section.

edit: Damn Briggsy beat me to it....

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old July 14th, 2015, 10:42 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Himalaya View Post
The thread was removed? It looks alive to me.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...gon-63544.html

As long as we're airing grievances, it pisses me off when flippers tell a seller a whole story about it's the truck they've always wanted, or that it'll be their personal truck, or that it'll be his/her kid's first truck, and then they just flip it a few months later, or put 20s and other crap on it and then put it up on eBay for $200k. Or that they're forced to sell because they need to have knee surgery, blah blah like it wasn't all business the entire time.

A bunch of people have turned this place into their own little piggy bank lately.
Old July 14th, 2015, 10:49 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old July 14th, 2015, 10:58 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Exactly. When did this go from an enthusiasts site to autotrader? Listen. I'm all for free market capitalism but the same guy complaining here about getting outbid 1 time has bought a ton of trucks in recent months for the sole purpose of making a buck off them. It kind of ruins the purpose this site exist in the first place. You lost this one, man up and move on. Im sure you'll buy the next 20 decent deals on here within minutes of them being posted and be just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
The thread was removed? It looks alive to me. http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...gon-63544.html As long as we're airing grievances, it pisses me off when flippers tell a seller a whole story about it's the truck they've always wanted, or that it'll be their personal truck, or that it'll be his/her kid's first truck, and then they just flip it a few months later, or put 20s and other crap on it and then put it up on eBay for $200k. Or that they're forced to sell because they need to have knee surgery, blah blah like it wasn't all business the entire time. A bunch of people have turned this place into their own little piggy bank lately.
Old July 14th, 2015, 11:02 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Well as described, he was not outbid. The seller had agreed on terms. Selling to someone else after agreeing to the terms is a very sleazy thing to do.

Old July 14th, 2015, 11:06 PM
ranewman
Rick Newman
85 Defender 110

No one less than 100 posts should be able to sell...or buy...period.
97 Disco SD "Emma" (250k and going strong)
95 P38 "Gus" RIP
99 P38 Callaway Edition #106 RIP
85 Defender 110 2.5NA "Margret"
01 D2 SE7 "Cuzn It" (blown up POS)
03 D2 SE "Fred"
Hoarder of 2.5 NAD parts
"In God we trust. Everyone else keep their fucking hands where they can be seen."
Old July 14th, 2015, 11:07 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
This is one of those cases where you are getting mad and hoping for regulation of THE INTERNET. The Internet. On a free site. That you make money off indirectly.

$500 says you believe in strong government. This is just too much.

Old July 14th, 2015, 11:09 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Well as described, he was not outbid. The seller had agreed on terms. Selling to someone else after agreeing to the terms is a very sleazy thing to do.
I think the timing here is being stretched. This all happened with an hour or so. Not like he agreed one day and then went back on it he next. It was more hang up with mark, call me, call mark back giving him opp to match and he didn't, call me I send payment

BTW why send fedex? You do have paypal right? Instant > overnight
Old July 14th, 2015, 11:11 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
If an agreement was made that should be the end of the story. Lack of ethics.

Old July 14th, 2015, 11:12 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranewman View Post
No one less than 100 posts should be able to sell...or buy...period.
This would chase away newbies from selling stuff cheap or stop them from buying stuff that is overpriced. Dagga tse dagga da.
Old July 14th, 2015, 11:17 PM
ranewman
Rick Newman
85 Defender 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
This would chase away newbies from selling stuff cheap or stop them from buying stuff that is overpriced. Dagga tse dagga da.
Valid point....lift the Pedro ban.....
97 Disco SD "Emma" (250k and going strong)
95 P38 "Gus" RIP
99 P38 Callaway Edition #106 RIP
85 Defender 110 2.5NA "Margret"
01 D2 SE7 "Cuzn It" (blown up POS)
03 D2 SE "Fred"
Hoarder of 2.5 NAD parts
"In God we trust. Everyone else keep their fucking hands where they can be seen."
Old July 14th, 2015, 11:50 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
If an agreement was made that should be the end of the story. Lack of ethics.
That's it, right there. The seller is a douche and probably inexperienced at selling things. He was ignorant until someone waived a little more money in his face. $500 is worth more than his word and reputation. Its better this way because now its out there.
Old July 15th, 2015, 12:16 AM
kimberly
kimberly
1957 LR S1 88"

Registry
pardon the interruption but i think it's this thread: http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...gon-63544.html
Old July 15th, 2015, 01:30 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
"Licking" originated as a joke when someone mistyped "I'd like that." It got a life of it's own from there. But it's not a thing. Just like saying "dibs" -you gotta follow through...

Old July 15th, 2015, 02:47 AM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
I thought "licked" came from that VW commercial a few years ago where the guy licked the door handle to keep others from trying to buy it from under him. http://youtu.be/QdrClZ8h_PU

Either way, I thought it was both unique and funny at the same time.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat