Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 16th, 2015, 01:13 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN38 View Post
Wonder if 110andy will bother try to sell anything on here again?

If he did, I don't think too many would be buying.
For good or for bad time heals most everything eventually.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 16th, 2015, 01:50 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
My take exactly. This stopped being about the actual transaction long ago. It's a total case of mostly uninvolved parties feeling the compunction to show the forum where their moral compass is pointing.
It's exactly like every thread where everybody piles on without knowing all the details. The seller hasn't posted and hopefully never does.

The point I was trying to make is that details do matter and it could simply be about $500. It could be that the guy didn't like Mark and when given the choice to sell to any other human being in the world he took it. He also may have wanted it gone ASAP and bossman said he would pick it up right away. Maybe they are old buddies or he gave him a deal on something before. Maybe the money exchange is part of a laundering scheme. We don't know. But acting like a deal is a deal is a hard rule is horseshit because clearly in the case of the misrepresented truck that had a done deal purchase everybody agrees that it's ok to break a deal depending on the situation.

You guys are saying this guy has no integrity from a used car transaction but you don't know why he did what he did and probably never will.
Old July 16th, 2015, 01:59 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
- It could be that the guy didn't like Mark and when given the choice to sell to any other human being in the world he took it.
- He also may have wanted it gone ASAP and bossman said he would pick it up right away.
- Maybe they are old buddies or he gave him a deal on something before.
- Maybe the money exchange is part of a laundering scheme.
Not one of those reasons is a valid, ethical reason to break the contract he had made.

Andy is free to come on and tell us a reason that is valid. Otherwise, I hope nobody deals with him in the future and this thread helps in that cause.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 16th, 2015, 02:14 PM
CDN38
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5

Registry
Quote:
not one of those reasons is a valid, ethical reason to break the contract he had made.

Andy is free to come on and tell us a reason that is valid. Otherwise, i hope nobody deals with him in the future and this thread helps in that cause.
100% !
Old July 16th, 2015, 02:51 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

What I have learned from this thread is that we truly do live in a 'throw away' society. Just as with inanimate objects; we are willing to throw away individuals as well. I'm not saying what he did was 'right', what I am saying is that when we are 'burned', taken advantage of or whatever you want to call it - how we deal with it says volumes about our character also. Has this person burned people in the past? Does anyone here know him well enough to say this one example is a true measure of his character? I like to ask myself these things before summoning the mob and burning people at the stake. From the way some of you folks talk, one would think that none of you had ever made a mistake.
Old July 16th, 2015, 03:07 PM
vasily
Vasily
97 D90 SW

Registry
I'm still kind of new here and I have owned my defender for only 6 months...

I was lurker for a long time before I bought my truck. Most NAS 97's were selling way above my budget. When one turned up, the seller got roasted pretty good for not asking enough and folks made bets that a "flipper" or a "hoarder" were going to snag the truck.

But, since this thread is about integrity and about valuing ones word, it was made cleare to me that the buyer had other offers... offers higher then our agreement and not contingent on a visual inspection, as ours was.

My point is, an enthusiast listed his truck on an enthusiast forum for less then he could have gotten elsewhere. And he kept his word and kept his integrity intact when offered more money because he is a proper gentleman. And because of this, I, a long time enthusiast, now own a beautiful and meticulously up kept D90. I'm still grateful!

I don't know the folks involved in this whole thing, but with all the muck raking, I wanted to share my very positive experience with fulks here who honor their word...
Old July 16th, 2015, 03:45 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Hmm, a nice story and just more evidence that everyone is responsible for their own reputation. Don't forget that some people condemn others for "posting dirt" and not keeping negative information or opinions under wraps. Opening your mouth carries some degree of risk just as appearing flaky (or worse) does. Nothing will be decided here, but many will go away informed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old July 16th, 2015, 08:57 PM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I once had a deal go south with a board member, it wasn't public. We had some small words to each other and that's was that. I thought about it for some time, I don't recall how long, I was compelled by a mutual friend that this person was a GOOD man. I then contacted him and told him I wanted to put this behind me as it wasn't healthy. We agreed we both had made mistakes and that was one of the best thing we could have done. We are now friends and I would do anything for him as I know he would do the same for me. His name is Robert Davis.

The point is we could all get along a little better and treat each other with a lot more respect.
Old July 16th, 2015, 09:23 PM
Himalaya
Mark WS
1995 Nas, 86 D110, 97 Hummer H1

I hold no bad feelings toward Andy. He made a financial decision for what ever reason known to him, perhaps without thinking too deeply. I tried to keep his name anonymous.

Or perhaps Andy was goaded by a convincing, pushy second buyer

The below quote was totally uncalled for and shows the intent of the other buyer. Re Bidding> uh, no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429 View Post
If it was anyone else i wouldn't have out bid ya, but your trucks are hideous and every one you make has Maurice Wilks turning over in his grave.
You know that Wilks passed in 1963 right, and has nothing to do with brand design.

Yes, my designs are Hideous. You are correct. We will discuss your professional opinion on this and I will strongly consider changing the brand concepts and conform to normality. . Please post a photo of your truck for inspiration for me.
Old July 16th, 2015, 09:30 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Great post solarguy.

Adrian is a real good guy. I've wheeled and wrenched with him and great times always. He helped me out big time when I was selling a set of wheels and tires to Huf and I was down a Wolf wheel. I bought back the Wolf I sold Adrian a couple weeks prior so Jeff would be all set. And IIRC Adrian didn't want to take money for it even tho I did when I sold it to him!

He has been looking for a rig for a while where he could build it just the way he wanted from scratch and this was a very good platform. If I am not mistaken he wants to build this up for camping/wheeling trips with his family.
Old July 16th, 2015, 09:41 PM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Thank you Don.
Old July 16th, 2015, 09:42 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

12 years ago, this site had handful of enthusiasts... Before that, the D90 Yahoo group was all we had. D90 is experiencing growing pains. There are a lot of new, good people here.

With more trucks being imported, others changing hands, we are bound to get more and more members. Overwhelmingly, the average user is honest, ethical and trustworthy.

Occasionally, we get a few asshats that stir the pot for their own amusement. Other antics are looked forward too, we all remember and miss Neil and his sorted tales. Seeing a few of the old-times pop back on after a Defender-less period. This is still an enthusiast site. Try and keep the vibe its always had, while it grows.

Old July 16th, 2015, 09:43 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasily View Post
I'm still kind of new here and I have owned my defender for only 6 months...

I was lurker for a long time before I bought my truck. Most NAS 97's were selling way above my budget. When one turned up, the seller got roasted pretty good for not asking enough and folks made bets that a "flipper" or a "hoarder" were going to snag the truck.

But, since this thread is about integrity and about valuing ones word, it was made cleare to me that the buyer had other offers... offers higher then our agreement and not contingent on a visual inspection, as ours was.

My point is, an enthusiast listed his truck on an enthusiast forum for less then he could have gotten elsewhere. And he kept his word and kept his integrity intact when offered more money because he is a proper gentleman. And because of this, I, a long time enthusiast, now own a beautiful and meticulously up kept D90. I'm still grateful!

I don't know the folks involved in this whole thing, but with all the muck raking, I wanted to share my very positive experience with fulks here who honor their word...

Great story Vasily, Speaking of gripes, I tried to send you a thanks but the F#@king "Thanks" button is not working, much less being able to type something in the bar. F#@k me running, that shit drives me nuts!
Old July 16th, 2015, 10:04 PM
Talleyrand
John
1998 Defender 110 CSW 300Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
If this is related to the parts Mark sells here on the threads, you could not be further from the truth. There is a reason his parts sell quickly.
X2 from my side
Old July 16th, 2015, 10:54 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Himalaya View Post
I hold no bad feelings toward Andy. He made a financial decision for what ever reason known to him, perhaps without thinking too deeply. I tried to keep his name anonymous.

The below quote was totally uncalled for and shows the intent of the other buyer. Re Bidding> uh, no.

You know that Wilks passed in 1963 right, and has nothing to do with brand design.

Yes, my designs are Hideous. You are correct. We will discuss your professional opinion on this and I will strongly consider changing the brand concepts and conform to normality. . Please post a photo of your truck for inspiration for me.

OK i'll admit - that was over the top and uncalled for. It was meant to be a rather jeering/sarcastic comment, although a little truthful about my opinion on some of the trucks I've seen. I'll be a big boy and apologize about that. - no sarcasm.

I did admit the series trucks on your websites look pretty nice, [some of] the defenders eh

my truck (was) no show queen, but it was functional and i had a blast with it (why i'm going to get back into this debauchery of land roverness). I think it captured the spirit of the truck and this forum rather accurately.

Regardless, it looks like you've come around a bit in your gripe towards the seller on a personal note, and the same could be said for me.

------ Follow up post added July 16th, 2015 10:56 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90 View Post
12 years ago, this site had handful of enthusiasts... Before that, the D90 Yahoo group was all we had. D90 is experiencing growing pains. There are a lot of new, good people here.

With more trucks being imported, others changing hands, we are bound to get more and more members. Overwhelmingly, the average user is honest, ethical and trustworthy.

Occasionally, we get a few asshats that stir the pot for their own amusement. Other antics are looked forward too, we all remember and miss Neil and his sorted tales. Seeing a few of the old-times pop back on after a Defender-less period. This is still an enthusiast site. Try and keep the vibe its always had, while it grows.
I do miss the random russian hooker post...
Old July 16th, 2015, 11:10 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
As a side note- Wilkes did design the original rover in 48. Which was my point of staying "true" to the brand identity. Again. Just a side note, not trying to re-ignite
Old July 16th, 2015, 11:48 PM
defender1844
Amit Likhyani
95 D90 Soft Top Estoril Blue 6.2 LS

Mark, I had my shop blatantly copy your dual exhaust(at least what we could see from a shot of the rear), have an upgraded engine, upgraded stereo, LEDs all around, Recaro seats and a Momo wheel. I'm sure many in the purist brigade here will also think my truck is hideous. I don't worry about it one iota. Keep doing what you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himalaya View Post

Old July 17th, 2015, 05:05 AM
Himalaya
Mark WS
1995 Nas, 86 D110, 97 Hummer H1

A good Friday. Everyone is happy and friends again.
Old July 17th, 2015, 05:09 AM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Didn't Dave post something about time? Haha 1 day. I made a new sign line.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old July 17th, 2015, 06:54 AM
vtlandrover
Frank
1991 200Tdi 110 Hicap

Tuesday's grey and Wednesday, too.

Thursday, I don't care about you.

It's Friday, I'm in love.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat