Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 16th, 2015, 10:46 AM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdread View Post
but wasn't that post about a crappy truck that someone was trying to peddle off on an unknowing buyer? And the OP was trying to bad mouth the "mechanic/inspector" for recommending the buyer not buy the "crap"??

I think that's different than what people here seem to be saying.

No dog in this fight, just laughing at how sad society has become. Enthusiast site or eBay. Integrity is integrity, and a deal is a deal. Anything else, and you're just an asshole. Price agreed. Price paid. If it was listed as an auction. Fine. Bid away.

Anyway
This isn't about the money, according to the masses. A sold truck is a sold truck which was the case in the other. All the other details don't matter in the analysis/reaction here according to nearly all those voicing opinions. Ample opportunity to view that other truck or ask for more pics etc.

Look at this bad mouthing going on. Like you said at the end, price agreed, price paid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 16th, 2015, 10:53 AM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
This isn't about the money, according to the masses. A sold truck is a sold truck which was the case in the other. All the other details don't matter in the analysis/reaction here according to nearly all those voicing opinions. Ample opportunity to view that other truck or ask for more pics etc.

Look at this bad mouthing going on. Like you said at the end, price agreed, price paid.
I'm not sure if you're correctly recalling that thread. It was not the buyer that turned down the deal, it was the pre-purchase inspector/transporter. Completely different situation
Old July 16th, 2015, 10:54 AM
drdread
AL
'94 NAS 90 SW

Registry
Like I said I have no fight in this. However they seem to be different in my opinion.
Advertisement

Old July 16th, 2015, 10:54 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
This is a good thread for finding out who understand ethics and those that don't.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old July 16th, 2015, 11:01 AM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
I'm not sure if you're correctly recalling that thread. It was not the buyer that turned down the deal, it was the pre-purchase inspector/transporter. Completely different situation
It wasn't an eBay auction purchase and the pickup by the rebuilder who refused it?

I don't think the inspections usually happen after the deal is made. But this might be one of those all the details kept to a select few who talk outside of the board and allude to details they won't share.
Old July 16th, 2015, 11:04 AM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
It was, and it was the person sent to get it that decided not to buy it, not the person purchasing the vehicle.

I'm also not sure why I'm even defending that, it was completely different. Anyone that saw both threads and has any common sense can see that
Old July 16th, 2015, 11:14 AM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
So it was a purchase and details matter in that case but not this one. In the other thread an agreement was broken, despite it being done to protect somebody, it was a broken deal nonetheless. In this thread a deal was broken and that's all you guys care about. Maybe the seller here was trying to get it gone ASAP and didn't want to wait for money at FEDEx. Details don't matter here, though.
Old July 16th, 2015, 11:16 AM
drdread
AL
'94 NAS 90 SW

Registry
Unsubscribed Smh
Old July 16th, 2015, 11:22 AM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
I agree with the outcome of the other thread. What I don't agree with is the way you guys react to this shit and start burying people without all sides to the story.

------ Follow up post added July 16th, 2015 10:24 AM ------

Quote:
Unsubscribed Smh
Re subscribe.
Old July 16th, 2015, 11:32 AM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
Himalaya is right for posting his gripes.. Sucks man, but you got screwed by these guys.

..and this thread is 4 pages too long. Can we end it? Because its wasting everyones time!!!!!!! Ive got an engine to build and Im stuck in this shit thread!

need to break free !!!
Old July 16th, 2015, 11:33 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Wow, 6 pages of a deal is a deal unless it isn't a deal. This is total BS. If somebody pulled this crap on any one of you you would be pissed too. I had a member do this to me here last year with a part I was looking for. I found one from another member and just ignore the guy and his posts.

Old July 16th, 2015, 11:49 AM
drdread
AL
'94 NAS 90 SW

Registry
Ok fine. Lol
I (and apparently some others) don't quite see how you are equating these together.
I get it that a lot of emotions were expressed but the bottom line that everyone but the silent seller seem to agree on is that mark agreed to sellers price. Seller agreed to sell it at that price and then a higher price was accepted from elsewhere.
IMHO That is simply uncouth. It is amoral. It's shady and downright low class.

I'm no mark defender (pun intended) although I like his builds (apparently one of the few) but I think he definitely takes advantage of our collective obsessions and overcharges everything for the most part. So I get why some people don't have love for him on this issue, but again it's not about the individuals or what they're doing w the product. It's just plain ethics. And as a professor of it, it's hard to learn as an adult if you have absolutely no sense of it.

Sorry (to josh) but that was the dumbest thing I've ever read. So it's ok to not have business scruples or be a man (sic) of your word because person or entity x was going to buy product for eventual upper market sale that many won't afford?? But we should only sell to people like us right???? Oh you see where this is going right????

Anyway, this is the best grim by far (t shirt or bumper sticker idea anyone??? Just credit me with a discount ). I've bought tons of stuff from folk and have been super happy, except for the idiots who don't understand the concept of "licked pending pictures" and then cause a hissy fit And not post pictures and overcharge by s ridiculous margin (Oh where's shayne when we need him?)

Anyhoo
Old July 16th, 2015, 12:03 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
. It's just plain ethics. And as a professor of it, it's hard to learn as an adult if you have absolutely no sense of it.
So we can't assume everybody will abide by ethics therefore it's unreasonable to think this sort of thing could never happen. Wouldn't it be wise to consider a deal only a deal when Goods/money is actually exchanged?
Old July 16th, 2015, 12:07 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
I'm no mark defender (pun intended) although I like his builds (apparently one of the few) but I think he definitely takes advantage of our collective obsessions and overcharges everything for the most part.
If this is related to the parts Mark sells here on the threads, you could not be further from the truth. There is a reason his parts sell quickly.
Old July 16th, 2015, 12:19 PM
drdread
AL
'94 NAS 90 SW

Registry
My Big DSource Gripe

I think we as humans can do better than that. At least I hope if I tell someone I agree to do certain thing and you agree for me to do it, we can have reasonable expectations that a final transaction will occur as agreed. Other wise the sense of contract and obligation or less binding, your word or ethos ate just garbage.

------ Follow up post added July 16th, 2015 12:22 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
If this is related to the parts Mark sells here on the threads, you could not be further from the truth. There is a reason his parts sell quickly.

Relax. I'm also not a mark basher. My point was that he is in a biz to make money. And like any capitalist takes advantage of deman. Our desperation and seeming NLA crisis should not equate true value or good deal pricing and that might make him seem to be less "one of us" and require less sympathy when he's screwed over. That was my point. I want a Himalaya build when I grow up
Old July 16th, 2015, 12:32 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Theres a lot of gold to be gleaned by this thread...separating wheat from the chafe, my friends.
Old July 16th, 2015, 12:36 PM
drdread
AL
'94 NAS 90 SW

Registry
I was right there. Getting fucked with an overpriced house I bought in 05 that was worth less than half my purchase price 2 years later. How is that making unethical behavior ok????
Old July 16th, 2015, 12:44 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
This is a good thread for finding out who understand ethics and those that don't.
My take exactly. This stopped being about the actual transaction long ago. It's a total case of mostly uninvolved parties feeling the compunction to show the forum where their moral compass is pointing.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 16th, 2015, 12:52 PM
CDN38
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5

Registry
Wonder if 110andy will bother try to sell anything on here again?

If he did, I don't think too many would be buying.
Old July 16th, 2015, 01:08 PM
kimberly
kimberly
1957 LR S1 88"

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac View Post
Theres a lot of gold to be gleaned by this thread...separating wheat from the chafe, my friends.
yep.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat