William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 15th, 2015, 05:28 PM
GaryBaxter
Gary Baxter
None

Licking is part of the forum's heritage. Not selling at the posted price is not.
Old July 15th, 2015, 05:31 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishEH View Post
You're still missing the difference between an enthusiast forum(private classified) and a competitive sales driven business. You're either intentionally ignoring it or just don't get it.
I get your point. But, it goes both ways. The person complaining they got "screwed" here IS in the competitive business of buying and selling rovers. So how am I, a lonely enthusiast supposed to get a truck at a decent price on here if every decent deal is swooped up by someone who's sole job is to buy and sell rovers for profit? Sometimes you gotta fight a little fire with fire

And again. I totally get his frustration, not questioning that one bit. But I personally would 1 never start a thread and complain about it. I'm not that thin skinned and 2 wouldn't think the seller was dishonest, just doing what is in his best interest and I totally get that. Who knows hat $500 may have paid Andys car payments or mortgage for a month. Can you really fault a guy for that. I don't, regardless of what side I'm sitting on.

Now all you stop this negativity. In finally getting back into the rover game. Let's talk about how wonderful and blissful it is and how they never ever give us troubles. 😄
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 15th, 2015, 05:45 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

At least this one has the nuts to attempt to defend himself. Andy110 or whoever is logged on and not saying a thing...deafening. He's probably chuckling about the roast we are putting on this guy when he's the "perp."

Rare is a man who has the humility to say he's wrong. Especially online to a bunch of strangers.
Old July 15th, 2015, 07:24 PM
CDN38
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5

Registry
However we are all benefiting from the complaint. If it weren't for that complaint, how many other people here could have been screwed over by a guy who can't keep his word? I think it's a red flag that will steer many clear of his dealings.

Like I said before, I won't buy anything from him.... I wonder if he's sold this same truck to anyone else?

Adrian, have you actually taken delivery of the truck, and have all the required paperwork in your possession? You know, some guy just may come along offering $2500 for the truck.... and it would be gone before you know it...

I'm just saying'...
Old July 15th, 2015, 09:38 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
So if Andy has another vehicle that's a goos deal and your in the market you wouldn't bother? I learned a long time ago don't rip off your nose to spite your face.

Are you suggesting your interested in the truck for $2500.

Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN38 View Post
However we are all benefiting from the complaint. If it weren't for that complaint, how many other people here could have been screwed over by a guy who can't keep his word? I think it's a red flag that will steer many clear of his dealings. Like I said before, I won't buy anything from him.... I wonder if he's sold this same truck to anyone else? Adrian, have you actually taken delivery of the truck, and have all the required paperwork in your possession? You know, some guy just may come along offering $2500 for the truck.... and it would be gone before you know it... I'm just saying'...
Old July 15th, 2015, 09:45 PM
Himalaya
Mark WS
1995 Nas, 86 D110, 97 Hummer H1

Just back on this.

Re My comment of Removal of thread. I honestly could not see it again and thought it gone. Apologies to management. Thus I thought I was keeping the seller anonymous. My apologies to making it public for him.

Re being a FLIPPER
Me. Mark. Himalaya. If being a flipper means a year of full disassembly of a vehicle and either full restoration or restomod with bags and bags of my personal investment... then yes Count me as guilty as charged as being a flipper. What a terrible person I am. Thats what I'm known for, ripping people off is my business absolutely!

Re Complaining over $500. Thats chicken scratch. Its the point of the matter. Guy advertises price. I am the first one to agree to his fee. I spent my time to go send the guy his cash right away. If he was asking $2500, or $3500 or $4500 etc I would have paid it had the vehicle been worth it of course.
AS in the LAST TRUCK I PURCHASED FROM SAME SELLER! Which now after over a year is nearly nearly ready to ... wait for it...."FLIP". I would assume that as he was paid immediately on the last sale, he was happy to deal with me again.
I raised the issue on the forum due to integrity as sellers posting on this forum using it to sell their crap. (like me) I did not identify him, and thought the original thread removed, thus keeping his anonymity.

Re:New selling price. Had Andy asked me if I would match the other guy. Yes I would have. I needed a truck. Not just another addition to my collection. It would bother me because of the principle of the matter, but would have paid him as I need a truck to restore.
However another seller has contacted me today, so good for him, and good for me.

Re Adrians high school attitude toward my "flipping"
I don't know you. So kid, you have no idea what we do. Why don't you get your head out of your arse and see whats happening in the world of motor vehicles. Maybe you would learn something.
Here some stuff for you to chew on.
CNBC scheduled TV shoot for upcoming episode about Himalaya brand. 3 magazines lined up for shoots. Again invited us as sponsored guest for SEMA 2016. SEMA winner 2015. (Sorry had to throw that in there. At this point being humble makes no sense.
So Adrian. Take them apples!

Re: Purchasing vehicles and not giving those a chance. Oh... Sorry. I thought the seller is the one who needs the money.
There are lots of vehicles for sale. Go buy one. If you can't afford it. Don't buy one. If you honestly think that someone is selling a vehicle for LESS money just because you are internet associates, please, I have some exmod RHD Dash parts for you. (thats kind of like swamp land in florida if you didn't get that)

RE: Parts. I have lots of parts. Many of you contact me privately and obtain hard to find parts. I thank you for the sales. And from what I hear you are pretty happy about getting them.
You little penards who love to bash the brand. Keep going! Have you ever thought that maybe one day that obsure part may come up for sale. Oh... wait...remember on Seinfeld when Elaine tried to order chinese food.

oh. One more thing. Someone took a jab at my purchase of a white D90 truck for my son to drive. Then followed by a flipping comment. I could afford it, no one else did. I bought it. Yes, my son did enjoy it for several months until he wanted a 110 for surfing. Boards do not fit in a 90. So we switched out, tore the other apart and rebuilt it. ooooh. Big conspiracy there.

And now a big thank you to the great guys with suggestions for the Exmod issue in Alabama. We think we have it solved. Hopefully his trip home on Friday will be uneventful.
Its Always great to get input from those who know more than me. When I can't figure it out, many of you can.
Old July 15th, 2015, 09:48 PM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429 View Post
So if Andy has another vehicle that's a goos deal and your in the market you wouldn't bother? I learned a long time ago don't rip off your nose to spite your face. . Are you suggesting your interested in the truck for $2500. Lol
Are you drunk?
Old July 15th, 2015, 09:56 PM
CDN38
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5

Registry
No, I'm not interested in the truck. But do you trust him not to sell it if someone comes along offering $2500?

No, I wouldn't buy anything from him.

On this board we buy and sell to our own kind (enthusiasts). I have bought and sold a lot of things here over the 12 years I have been a board member. Many times I have sent a total stranger my hard earned money, and because I know he's an honest board member with a good reputation, I have never once been concerned about not getting my item. Call it "the code of ethics" that exists between members to be honest and follow through on their word.

So, what would possibly prompt me to buy from this guy after seeing what I have seen? Nothing. It's not you, you are just wanting something and offering to pay for it. It's his lack of respect for another member that made an honest deal, that prompts me to choose to avoid him.
Old July 15th, 2015, 09:58 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post

Not sure where the attitude towards Mark is coming from. A truck was posted for a price. He got in touch,agreed to buy for the asking price, and immediately went to send the funds. If you don't like the trucks he builds and sells for six figures don't buy them. Know that they do sell to well heeled clients. Those sales are raising the value bar for all owners here, whether you choose to acknowledge that or not, its a fact.

The "flip" comments also make zero sense. From what I know Himalaya typically fully disassembles a truck and rebuilds it, usually re-powering, hence where many of the parts he offers here for sale come from.
Haters gonna hate.

Mark is more of a custom truck builder in my eyes, not a "flipper" by any stretch.
Tearing a truck down to the essentials, repowering, rebuilding...but not "flipping".
I dont really care for flashy 110's rolling on 20" rims buit I cant afford one anyway!

But anyway.....when you make a deal; stick to the deal!

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old July 15th, 2015, 10:48 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
If he wants to sell it for $2001 that's his choice. I'd be upset for a minute but I wouldn't gripe about it in a post, throw a tantrum and bitch and moan to the world. That's all. I know your not saying anything new about me, I just think people are going a little hard on someone for doing what's in his best interest. Who knows. Maybe that $500 is a big deal to him. Maybe that's why he's selling in the first place. I'm not gonna judge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN38 View Post
No, I'm not interested in the truck. But do you trust him not to sell it if someone comes along offering $2500? No, I wouldn't buy anything from him. On this board we buy and sell to our own kind (enthusiasts). I have bought and sold a lot of things here over the 12 years I have been a board member. Many times I have sent a total stranger my hard earned money, and because I know he's an honest board member with a good reputation, I have never once been concerned about not getting my item. Call it "the code of ethics" that exists between members to be honest and follow through on their word. So, what would possibly prompt me to buy from this guy after seeing what I have seen? Nothing. It's not you, you are just wanting something and offering to pay for it. It's his lack of respect for another member that made an honest deal, that prompts me to choose to avoid him.
------ Follow up post added July 15th, 2015 10:48 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostChord View Post
Are you drunk?
Sarcasm. My friend.

------ Follow up post added July 15th, 2015 10:51 PM ------

I find the kid comment ironic. Being your the one throwing a tantrum over not getting your tonka toy

If this gets you this upset it must be tough going through life

As for your accolades. Congrats. I'm green with envy. Should we get he tape measure out and start measuring while we're at it?

As for flipping. I don't care if you do, and what you do really isn't flipping anyways

I'm just saying. Your whining about this a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himalaya View Post
Just back on this. Re My comment of Removal of thread. I honestly could not see it again and thought it gone. Apologies to management. Thus I thought I was keeping the seller anonymous. My apologies to making it public for him. Re being a FLIPPER Me. Mark. Himalaya. If being a flipper means a year of full disassembly of a vehicle and either full restoration or restomod with bags and bags of my personal investment... then yes Count me as guilty as charged as being a flipper. What a terrible person I am. Thats what I'm known for, ripping people off is my business absolutely! Re Complaining over $500. Thats chicken scratch. Its the point of the matter. Guy advertises price. I am the first one to agree to his fee. I spent my time to go send the guy his cash right away. If he was asking $2500, or $3500 or $4500 etc I would have paid it had the vehicle been worth it of course. AS in the LAST TRUCK I PURCHASED FROM SAME SELLER! Which now after over a year is nearly nearly ready to ... wait for it...."FLIP". I would assume that as he was paid immediately on the last sale, he was happy to deal with me again. I raised the issue on the forum due to integrity as sellers posting on this forum using it to sell their crap. (like me) I did not identify him, and thought the original thread removed, thus keeping his anonymity. Re:New selling price. Had Andy asked me if I would match the other guy. Yes I would have. I needed a truck. Not just another addition to my collection. It would bother me because of the principle of the matter, but would have paid him as I need a truck to restore. However another seller has contacted me today, so good for him, and good for me. Re Adrians high school attitude toward my "flipping" I don't know you. So kid, you have no idea what we do. Why don't you get your head out of your arse and see whats happening in the world of motor vehicles. Maybe you would learn something. Here some stuff for you to chew on. CNBC scheduled TV shoot for upcoming episode about Himalaya brand. 3 magazines lined up for shoots. Again invited us as sponsored guest for SEMA 2016. SEMA winner 2015. (Sorry had to throw that in there. At this point being humble makes no sense. So Adrian. Take them apples! Re: Purchasing vehicles and not giving those a chance. Oh... Sorry. I thought the seller is the one who needs the money. There are lots of vehicles for sale. Go buy one. If you can't afford it. Don't buy one. If you honestly think that someone is selling a vehicle for LESS money just because you are internet associates, please, I have some exmod RHD Dash parts for you. (thats kind of like swamp land in florida if you didn't get that) RE: Parts. I have lots of parts. Many of you contact me privately and obtain hard to find parts. I thank you for the sales. And from what I hear you are pretty happy about getting them. You little penards who love to bash the brand. Keep going! Have you ever thought that maybe one day that obsure part may come up for sale. Oh... wait...remember on Seinfeld when Elaine tried to order chinese food. oh. One more thing. Someone took a jab at my purchase of a white D90 truck for my son to drive. Then followed by a flipping comment. I could afford it, no one else did. I bought it. Yes, my son did enjoy it for several months until he wanted a 110 for surfing. Boards do not fit in a 90. So we switched out, tore the other apart and rebuilt it. ooooh. Big conspiracy there. And now a big thank you to the great guys with suggestions for the Exmod issue in Alabama. We think we have it solved. Hopefully his trip home on Friday will be uneventful. Its Always great to get input from those who know more than me. When I can't figure it out, many of you can.
Old July 15th, 2015, 10:56 PM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429 View Post
----- Sarcasm. My friend. -
For reasons that seem to be escaping you in this thread, drunk would have been a better answer.
Old July 16th, 2015, 01:20 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
To be fair I have reached out to people in CL and had them come back and say 'I was offered $xx.xx more for the item, what are you willing to pay'. I just politely say I am not interested in a bidding war and walk away.

If the owner had offered it to mark for $2k I think that would've been fair to give him the first right of refusal, we are talking about an offer that was 33% larger. Which if this was scaled up to a $9k truck we would be talking $3k.

Scale may seem absurd in this case, but we aren't talking about 5% we are talking about 1/3 over asking price. And while I agree this is a gentleman's forum I think it's safe to assume that first right of refusal and communication are king in this case.

I'm not saying I agree with it its just factual. I have been on both sides of this and I always default to first offer.

But clearly the Seller would rather have $500 then forum cred if you know what I mean
Old July 16th, 2015, 07:21 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Because we have an open forum, people share ideas, knowledge, accomplishments, and sell parts and vehicles.

It is interesting to read many of the diverse comments that vary from opposite ends of the opinion spectrum in this thread.

I have no scientific data to back up this hypothesis, but think all this stems from the fundamental principal of keeping your word and doing what you say you will do.
To take this one level further, I think this is somewhat generational more than anything else.
In general, the older the person, the more likely they will be to stay with a deal than a younger person that is self consumed with selfie portraits and so on... living in an "all about me world".
While this is a stereotypical view, I think it holds true more times than not.
I have tried very hard to instill a since of commitment, ownership,honesty, decency, and responsibility into my children.
Sometimes they accept it and understand, but on occasion they will clearly let me know "that it is no longer done that way".
Dylan sang it in my era: "the times they are a changing".

Sorry you had this issue Mark, but it is not uncommon in 2015, we just have to live with it and not let it drive us crazy...

Posted in a both a sober and somber mindset -->

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old July 16th, 2015, 07:41 AM
Himalaya
Mark WS
1995 Nas, 86 D110, 97 Hummer H1

Totally agree.
Nothing to feel sorry about. I was not cheesed about not getting the item. It was a waste of my time. Time is money. It was about honoring the agreements.

I currently grossly underestimated shipping cost on a very large item that I had put "shipping included". I let the buyer know that I will find another way to ship the item. Its going to cost me far more than anticipated, but too bad so sad. My loss because I posted it at said ammt. Done! You get over things.
Old July 16th, 2015, 09:32 AM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
Because we have an open forum, people share ideas, knowledge, accomplishments, and sell parts and vehicles.

It is interesting to read many of the diverse comments that vary from opposite ends of the opinion spectrum in this thread.

I have no scientific data to back up this hypothesis, but think all this stems from the fundamental principal of keeping your word and doing what you say you will do.
To take this one level further, I think this is somewhat generational more than anything else.
In general, the older the person, the more likely they will be to stay with a deal than a younger person that is self consumed with selfie portraits and so on... living in an "all about me world".
I have tried very hard to instill a since of commitment, ownership,honesty, decency, and responsibility into my children.
Sometimes they accept it and understand, but on occasion they will clearly let me know "that it is no longer done that way".
Dylan sang it in my era: "the times they are a changing".

Sorry you had this issue Mark, but it is not uncommon in 2015, we just have to live with it and not let it drive us crazy...

Posted in a both a sober and somber mindset -->

While you typically do make a great point Robert, I have to disagree with you. I think it's based on societal and economical differences. The way I was raised(I'm probably one of the youngest on the forum), I still would not have agreed to a sale and then passed it onto the next highest bidder.

Had it been a light conversation of people throwing numbers out, sure I would have taken the higher number. Andy could have too.

But this is a situation where Mark literally got the money ready to send/sent, after a deal had been made. It is very sad to think that Andy does not value Mark's effort to purchase the vehicle.

This is not about "ease of sale" Josh, I have to disagree there. Andy did not take Adrian's money because it was "easier". He took it because it was more, more than he had already accepted.

But because this doesn't seem very clear to Adrian

THIS IS NOT ABOUT $500

I think it's funny that Adrian is the only one defending himself, while Andy should be the one with answers.
Old July 16th, 2015, 09:58 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
While you typically do make a great point Robert, I have to disagree with you.
You're cool with me... I think my view was described as stereotypical and am so glad you are not as described and not because the reasons I stated.
Yes being honest and willing to stick/stand by your word is something that hopefully spans multiple generations... we know it does with you, but not always with everyone else!

Societal and economical differences can also play a big role, good point!

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old July 16th, 2015, 10:15 AM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Funny flip flop opinions from a lot here. Remember that thread where you guys reamed the guy who complained about the dude who was picking up the truck from a done deal deciding that the deal was not good enough and ended the buyers sales agreement.

If you forum regulars want to talk about fair and contracts and agreements then keep your attitudes and opinions consistent instead of playing favorites like a bunch of asshats.

------ Follow up post added July 16th, 2015 09:20 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac View Post
$500 is pocket change for many here, hope you are ok with losing your reputation over a measly $500.
Prove it. Mail me $500 in cash. You can earn forum cred.
Old July 16th, 2015, 10:24 AM
drdread
AL
'94 NAS 90 SW

Registry
My Big DSource Gripe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
Funny flip flop opinions from a lot here. Remember that thread where you guys reamed the guy who complained about the dude who was picking up the truck from a done deal deciding that the deal was not good enough and ended the buyers sales agreement.

If you forum regulars want to talk about fair and contracts and agreements then keep your attitudes and opinions consistent instead of playing favorites like a bunch of asshats.

but wasn't that post about a crappy truck that someone was trying to peddle off on an unknowing buyer? And the OP was trying to bad mouth the "mechanic/inspector" for recommending the buyer not buy the "crap"??

I think that's different than what people here seem to be saying.

No dog in this fight, just laughing at how sad society has become. Enthusiast site or eBay. Integrity is integrity, and a deal is a deal. Anything else, and you're just an asshole. Price agreed. Price paid. If it was listed as an auction. Fine. Bid away.

Anyway
Old July 16th, 2015, 10:27 AM
Howski
Kevin
2002 Land Rover Discovery II

Registry
Quote:
I think my view was described as stereotypical and am so glad you are not as described and not because the reasons I stated. Yes being honest and willing to stick/stand by your word is something that hopefully spans multiple generations... we know it does with you, but not always with everyone else!
While there's certainly many exceptions I tend to find many in my age range (millennials) to be dishonest, which is pretty disappointing. Not sure if it's just generational thing or the fact that I've just grown up and this is how things are

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat