Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 15th, 2015, 01:36 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
I'm really not, which is why I said I could see why people are upset about it as I myself have missed out in the same way in the past, but at the same time it looks like equal opportunities were given to both parties here. And come on dude the dealer presence has blown up here in the past few years and it's nice when ONCE IN A WHILE a seller actually sells to someone HERE who'll use it and bring it to events and enjoy it with family. Did Adrian also offer a much smoother and faster transaction than Mark did? Yes it appears so.
There's a reason the rules require a price be set on For Sale ads. This whole exchange has just undermined the reason for that rule.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 15th, 2015, 01:56 PM
CDN38
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5

Registry
Quote:
1. Yeah Mark it's yours for $1,500 send me the money
2. Hello yeah Adrian, sorry its sold
3. Damn - bummer - how about I give you $2,000 for it
4. ooooooooh - more money - let me see if the other guy will do $2K
5. Hey Mark someone offered me $2K - I am in desperate need of money, will you match the $2K?
6. No bloody way - you sold it to me for $1500 - WTF???? I won't give you $2K
7. Hey Adrian you just bought my series for $2K

#4 is a douche move....PERIOD. It wasn't an auction, he advertised a price, someone paid him his price, he "sold" the truck.

Pretty simple... if this is in fact how it went down, I'll certainly steer clear or anything from the vehicle seller in the future. His actions in this situation have shown he's not to be trusted by not following through on the original sale as agreed to. As several people have pointed out, this is a site for enthusiasts. We should all be able to buy and sell from each there based on our word. If you are only interested in selling to the highest bidder, and it's all about the money, then go to eBay.
Old July 15th, 2015, 02:09 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Well, I'm out. Adrian and Mark are both good people AFAIK, and I'll leave it at that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 15th, 2015, 02:26 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
No dog in this fight but some of the attitudes being displayed seem to run counter current to the desired tone of the site.

Not sure where the attitude towards Mark is coming from. A truck was posted for a price. He got in touch,agreed to buy for the asking price, and immediately went to send the funds. If you don't like the trucks he builds and sells for six figures don't buy them. Know that they do sell to well heeled clients. Those sales are raising the value bar for all owners here, whether you choose to acknowledge that or not, its a fact.

The "flip" comments also make zero sense. From what I know Himalaya typically fully disassembles a truck and rebuilds it, usually re-powering, hence where many of the parts he offers here for sale come from.

The truck that started this thread needs a complete rebuild. Seller says it needs a chassis. Any buyer is looking @ a complete rebuild so "flipper" comments/and full on rants are completely inane.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 15th, 2015, 02:27 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

While it does make me sad to see beautiful stocker 110s get converted into Manhattan pimp wagon abominations and flipped, I cannot imagine any fair way to keep the For Sale section "for the enthusiasts". It's up to the individual sellers to do this. If you don't want to sell your truck to a flipper, don't sell it to them. If you're not a party to the sale, you have no say whatsoever.

/
/
/
/
Old July 15th, 2015, 02:49 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Don't have anything against mark as a person I don't know him worth a damn (personally I don't like a lot of his trucks but that's regardless....I apologize for bringing that up it was a dumb point). I just don't see how a grown man can complain publicly about loosing a $1500 truck when he builds and sells trucks worth 10x that. He kinda makes it sound like Andy and/or I took bread out of his kids mouth.

I'm sure there will be another truck in the next week he buys and all will be good

Ps. Looking on his site the series trucks do look a lot better than the defenders....so I'll give him credit there.
Old July 15th, 2015, 02:54 PM
CDN38
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5

Registry
The point isn't what he does with his trucks

The point isn't $1500 or $500 .... or even money

The point is Andy didn't deal honestly

If he didn't want to sell to Mark, he has that right, but he agreed to sell at an agreed price, deal done.

It's not wrong that you came along and offered more, it's wrong that he accepted it.
Old July 15th, 2015, 02:57 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429 View Post
I just don't see how a grown man can complain publicly about loosing a $1500 truck when he builds and sells trucks worth 10x that
It is beyond me how anyone can not understand the serious problem. If they can't see it, I hope they don't sell anything to me.

Andy made a sales contract, either verbally or in writing via PM or email with Mark. He then sold the vehicle to you. This is extremely unethical and I hope that nobody does any more business with Andy.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old July 15th, 2015, 03:02 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
It is beyond me how anyone can not understand the serious problem. If they can't see it, I hope they don't sell anything to me. Andy made a sales contract, either verbally or in writing via PM or email with Mark. He then sold the vehicle to you. This is extremely unethical and I hope that nobody does any more business with Andy.
I think that's a little over the top

I'm in sales and get bones left and right all day by my customers. Lied to, cussed at and threatened daily. End of the day we still do business and will continue to for years to come.

If I complained every time they gave an order to my competitor I'd be told to stfu and kicked out.

------ Follow up post added July 15th, 2015 03:03 PM ------

Then again maybe that's just bc I live and work in NJ/NY
Old July 15th, 2015, 03:17 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Quote:
I think that's a little over the top I'm in sales and get bones left and right all day by my customers. Lied to, cussed at and threatened daily. End of the day we still do business and will continue to for years to come. If I complained every time they gave an order to my competitor I'd be told to stfu and kicked out. ------ Follow up post added July 15th, 2015 03:03 PM ------ Then again maybe that's just bc I live and work in NJ/NY
And thats why this is an issue. You look at this site and its transactions as a business; many of us look at it as a disjointed brotherhood. It makes no business sense for any of us to assist each other, when we are broken down miles away from home or when we just need a spare set of hands. But we do. If this is your attitude towards DSource, and this goes for Andy110, thats a quick way to find yourself alienated. $500 is pocket change for many here, hope you are ok with losing your reputation over a measly $500.
Old July 15th, 2015, 03:32 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
It's obviously not a business for me, but it is for him. That was my point. If someone is going to use this site for business, be prepared to handle business like situations.

I've been helped and helped many on this site. I think that aspect of it is totally irrelevant. Regardless. This horse is stiff and bruised now.
Old July 15th, 2015, 03:38 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
If a business made a sale agreement and then backed out, they would lose my business and I would make sure that other businesses knew and stayed clear as well.

I find it very sad that you feel it acceptable to treat people in this manner.

Old July 15th, 2015, 03:49 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
If a business made a sale agreement and then backed out, they would lose my business and I would make sure that other businesses knew and stayed clear as well. I find it very sad that you feel it acceptable to treat people in this manner.
I hear what your saying. Trust me if I was mark I would be pissed too. But I wouldn't publicly complain about it.

But I also get where Andy is coming from. $500 is $500 and I don't think it makes him a dishonest person for making a few extra bucks.

Look at it this way. I probably overpaid by $500 at least.
Old July 15th, 2015, 04:12 PM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
Quote:

I'm in sales and get bones left and right all day by my customers. Lied to, cussed at and threatened daily. End of the day we still do business and will continue to for years to come.

If I complained every time they gave an order to my competitor I'd be told to stfu and kicked out.

I've been in sales for years as well and while I agree this sort of dishonest thing happens all the time, it still doesn't make it right.

Sure there are times when I've sold things and realized almost immediately I made a mistake selling too cheap, but that's my own fault and I think a deals a deal.

The only time I would ever bring things up with a buyer, is if I actually made an error in calculation of price and I was going to loose a lot of money (a true mistake). But even then I would still leave it up to them as to how to proceed. A deals a deal.

That people are justifying reasons for a seller to back out of a completed deal is quite disturbing.

Old July 15th, 2015, 04:17 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Just wow. Reminds me of the time that the pizza guy sold my pizza to someone off the street who offered him 5 bucks more. I called the place to complain and they just asked me if I wanted to order another pizza.

If someone reneged on a deal with me and sold to someone else for a slightly higher figure, I would totally out them publicly. Just because you can justify something to yourself doesn't mean that you should get away with your reputation intact.

Old July 15th, 2015, 04:32 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Wow. All this for a $1500 (or $2k) pile of parts.
Old July 15th, 2015, 04:34 PM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
Quote:
Wow. All this for a $1500 (or $2k) pile of parts.

It's not the parts it's the principle.

Old July 15th, 2015, 04:39 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilboro View Post
It's not the parts it's the principle.
Exactly. He screws one guy today and he will screw another tomorrow.

Old July 15th, 2015, 04:44 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

Quote:

You're still missing the difference between an enthusiast forum(private classified) and a competitive sales driven business. You're either intentionally ignoring it or just don't get it.
Old July 15th, 2015, 05:14 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
If you're pissed about licking and unlicking and deals falling through or sellers/buyers changing their mind, go to ebay and pay 10% sellers fee plus PayPal fees.

This is a FREE forum where you sell for free and the site gets nothing in return.

Big boy rules. Get over it.

Semper Fi!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat