Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
So it went like this:

1. Yeah Mark it's yours for $1,500 send me the money
2. Hello yeah Adrian, sorry its sold
3. Damn - bummer - how about I give you $2,000 for it
4. ooooooooh - more money - let me see if the other guy will do $2K
5. Hey Mark someone offered me $2K - I am in desperate need of money, will you match the $2K?
6. No bloody way - you sold it to me for $1500 - WTF???? I won't give you $2K
7. Hey Adrian you just bought my series for $2K
LOL.

On a lighter note, my wallet just learned you can only buy a few (depending on where you are in positions 1-7 above) 200Tdi air filter housings for the price of this whole series truck...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 15th, 2015, 12:02 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostChord View Post
LOL. On a lighter note, my wallet just learned you can only buy a few (depending on where you are in positions 1-7 above) 200Tdi air filter housings for the price of this whole series truck...

It's not really a "whole" truck
Old July 15th, 2015, 12:08 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
So it went like this:

1. Yeah Mark it's yours for $1,500 send me the money
2. Hello yeah Adrian, sorry its sold
3. Damn - bummer - how about I give you $2,000 for it
4. ooooooooh - more money - let me see if the other guy will do $2K
5. Hey Mark someone offered me $2K - I am in desperate need of money, will you match the $2K?
6. No bloody way - you sold it to me for $1500 - WTF???? I won't give you $2K
7. Hey Adrian you just bought my series for $2K

#4 is a douche move....PERIOD. It wasn't an auction, he advertised a price, someone paid him his price, he "sold" the truck.
Only two people know what transpired. However, using Jonesy's hypothetical scenario, #3 is also a douche move. Just last week I replied to forum member's question about purchasing a D that is/was for sale on this forum by countering over asking.
Just a thought. I'd recommend telling XXXX straight up why you are looking for a Defender. Only dealers and flippers would look favorably on someone offering more than asking (unless you are requesting additional services). XXXX is not in that group.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 15th, 2015, 12:15 PM
85Red110
Kent
1985 110 3-door

Registry
A Land Rover is a gentleman's vehicle, and thus, we should conduct business like gentlemen(and ladies, if the shoe fits).

I've done business with people who have ended up being total $#itbags, and it's not a pleasant experience, especially if you're a guy like me who doesn't have the bank account of most of the people on this forum. Paying immediately almost $1000 for a critical part of my build, that was advertised as available for "immediate delivery", and then still wondering 4 weeks later why I haven't received it is pretty damn stressful. Integrity amongst buyers and sellers is key.

If you want to buy something, post on the thread that you've licked it, and immediately PM the seller. The forum will know who is in line because it's public. If it's done only by PM, you'll surely get another situation like Marks. Someone will privately swoop in with a PM and offer more, and depending on the sellers level of integrity, the original buyer could get screwed. The buyers responsibility is to immediately be prepared to pay, as stated already on this thread. Either way, there should be no hesitation by either party. All involved should be prepared to act, and do so in an honorable manner.

Just my $.02
Old July 15th, 2015, 12:23 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Not really. Have you ever bought or sold a house in a high demand area? Offering over asking is a common and successful way to ensure you get the product you want.

I lost out on 3 recent trucks I was looking at, 1 of them to Mark I think (not sure). I really wanted this truck and did what I needed to do to secure it. It's business people. Never seen so many thin skins before.

That being said I'm not flipping The truck. I've been wanting to do a full restoration on a 5 door for years now. This series fits the bill for my needs perfectly. It will be a long but rewarding restoration.
Old July 15th, 2015, 12:25 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
While I see what you guys are saying with regard to your word being sacred, I'm assuming Andy went with Adrian after realizing how many trucks from here have already been sold to Himalaya and ended up on eBay shortly thereafter, while Adrian drove home that he'd want to bring the truck back to life to enjoy with his wife and newborn rather than slap an SVX cage on it and post it back up for sale for a price way out of the reach of many members here.

Am I the only one who finds it disturbing when members come here to sell their trucks for a price within reach of many members who'd actually enjoy the vehicle, only to see that someone saw it instead as just an opportunity to take away from those members so that they could post it back up for sale on eBay for a price out of reach of most of us? Yes, blah blah blah capitalism - last I checked that wasn't why this forum was created, and it's just a shame that buyers come here to skip the dealers to try to buy within a limited budget from owners who actually know their vehicles, then have to see the same truck a week later for $20k more. And yes I understand that some of the flippers can offer easy liquidity and that can benefit the sellers here, but it'd be nice if the regular members could get a better shot at some of the "opportunities". It looks like in this instance liquidity wasn't an issue for either buyer, and I'll actually get to see the truck out on the trail (hopefully) in a few years, instead of running into Adrian on a motorcycle...

I'm glad Andy actually gave Adrian a chance.
Old July 15th, 2015, 12:31 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429 View Post
Not really. Have you ever bought or sold a house in a high demand area?
So...a point of contention: I've bought houses before. Once my offer is accepted, nobody can take it away from me.

That said, this post is devolving into a ridiculous "who likes who" better mess. It would be ridiculous for anyone to take a side, whether or Adrian's or Mark's, and I'm perturbed that people are turning this into a buyer's war. It's not. The only person to blame is the seller and, in my opinion, it would be best for the buyers to take a step back and think before they start making enemies of each other due to someone else's actions.

I think it's shameful for anyone to try to pit Adrian and Mark against each other.
Old July 15th, 2015, 12:36 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Agree with some of Josh's points above, but that is up to the seller to determine. Not the forum. My guess Mark has lost a few purchases when sellers connect the dots with who is on the other end. On the opposite side of the spectrum, there are probably more sellers that are glad when it is Mark calling knowing the sale will be quick and hassle free.
Mark gives back to the forum with selling NAS parts that many need. I don't see anyone complaining there. You can't have it both ways.
Old July 15th, 2015, 12:43 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
So...a point of contention: I've bought houses before. Once my offer is accepted, nobody can take it away from me. That said, this post is devolving into a ridiculous "who likes who" better mess. It would be ridiculous for anyone to take a side, whether or Adrian's or Mark's, and I'm perturbed that people are turning this into a buyer's war. It's not. The only person to blame is the seller and, in my opinion, it would be best for the buyers to take a step back and think before they start making enemies of each other due to someone else's actions. I think it's shameful for anyone to try to pit Adrian and Mark against each other.
Actually not true. Not a contract until out of attorney review and even then there are 100 ways out of it for both the buyer and seller. No lawyer would ever approve a contract that didn't leave an out. This has helped and hurt me before but it's part of doing business. Take the good with the bad
Old July 15th, 2015, 12:44 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
Mark gives back to the forum with selling NAS parts that many need. I don't see anyone complaining there. You can't have it both ways.
I hear ya. Mark has stated many times that he's not a parts seller as a business, and I believe he's also stated that he's miscalculated shipping costs in the past, so he now offers the parts to those who can make the transaction easiest on him while still being fair. Sort of like PayPaling the funds instead of having to wait on FedEx.
Old July 15th, 2015, 12:44 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
But josh then you won't get to watch me eat it 20yard ahead of you! Unless you missed that fall lol
Old July 15th, 2015, 12:46 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Over bidding is a well know practice in real estate. In England it's known as gazumping.
Tends to happen when only a verbal agreement has been reached. Once it's in writing it's a done deal.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old July 15th, 2015, 12:56 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Not a contract until out of attorney review
I've never had to consult with an attorney, nor have an attorney review anything when buying a home. This does not sound normative.

Regardless, it's still the seller's responsibility. Think of another outcome to this situation:

1. Mark mails $1,500
2. Adrian offers $2,000
3. Seller refuses Adrian's offer because seller decides to honor Mark's offer.

Again, we are arguing over something completely meaningless, since the whole situation is contrived by the seller.
Old July 15th, 2015, 01:00 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
I've never had to consult with an attorney, nor have an attorney review anything when buying a home. This does not sound normative. Regardless, it's still the seller's responsibility.

Really? I can't buy one with out it. Different areas different rules I guess.
Old July 15th, 2015, 01:01 PM
javelinadave
-
-

The only logical answer:

Old July 15th, 2015, 01:03 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
And you work in Wall Street?
How? your Dad owns the Company?

SERIOUSLY? Maybe you are personally pissed at Himalaya for a reason non disclosed, but NFW, is anyone of our business if he makes a living from it, it is not that he hides it.

You are missing the essence of Honor, your word, integrity are things you will never loose unless you do crap like this.

If you sell something for low, and 10 sec later you have remorse, suck it up

Adrian, did what he wanted to get his product, however, if someone accepts more money I tell them F@CK OFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
While I see what you guys are saying with regard to your word being sacred, I'm assuming Andy went with Adrian after realizing how many trucks from here have already been sold to Himalaya and ended up on eBay shortly thereafter, while Adrian drove home that he'd want to bring the truck back to life to enjoy with his wife and newborn rather than slap an SVX cage on it and post it back up for sale for a price way out of the reach of many members here.

Am I the only one who finds it disturbing when members come here to sell their trucks for a price within reach of many members who'd actually enjoy the vehicle, only to see that someone saw it instead as just an opportunity to take away from those members so that they could post it back up for sale on eBay for a price out of reach of most of us? Yes, blah blah blah capitalism - last I checked that wasn't why this forum was created, and it's just a shame that buyers come here to skip the dealers to try to buy within a limited budget from owners who actually know their vehicles, then have to see the same truck a week later for $20k more. And yes I understand that some of the flippers can offer easy liquidity and that can benefit the sellers here, but it'd be nice if the regular members could get a better shot at some of the "opportunities". It looks like in this instance liquidity wasn't an issue for either buyer, and I'll actually get to see the truck out on the trail (hopefully) in a few years, instead of running into Adrian on a motorcycle...

I'm glad Andy actually gave Adrian a chance.
Old July 15th, 2015, 01:07 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
...., however, if someone accepts more money I tell them F@CK OFF
And if you told me fuck off I'd be a big boy and go along my merry way looking for another truck. I wouldn't butch and moan how life isn't fair boohooing
Old July 15th, 2015, 01:20 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertrader View Post
Point:

Client: Will you go to bed with me for $1mil?
Prospect: SURE!!
Client: How about $10?
Prospect: What kind of girl do you think I am?!
Client: We have already established that, now we are just negotiating....
Priceless

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old July 15th, 2015, 01:22 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

You're trying to equate buying a house with a mortgage to buying a $1500 truck on an internet ENTHUSIAST forum. It doesn't work. Maybe you're doing that to make yourself feel better about being sleezy and intentionally trying to outbid someone even though the sellers asking price was met and an agreement met. Still doesn't work. Everyone sees the move for what it is.

When it comes to selling things on forums you don't have handshakes and signed agreements. All you have is your word, like Goose said. And now we all know that ANDY110's word isn't worth squat.

Quote:
Actually not true. Not a contract until out of attorney review and even then there are 100 ways out of it for both the buyer and seller. No lawyer would ever approve a contract that didn't leave an out. This has helped and hurt me before but it's part of doing business. Take the good with the bad
Quote:
Not really. Have you ever bought or sold a house in a high demand area? Offering over asking is a common and successful way to ensure you get the product you want.

I lost out on 3 recent trucks I was looking at, 1 of them to Mark I think (not sure). I really wanted this truck and did what I needed to do to secure it. It's business people. Never seen so many thin skins before.

That being said I'm not flipping The truck. I've been wanting to do a full restoration on a 5 door for years now. This series fits the bill for my needs perfectly. It will be a long but rewarding restoration.
Old July 15th, 2015, 01:31 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
You are missing the essence of Honor, your word, integrity are things you will never loose unless you do crap like this.
I'm really not, which is why I said I could see why people are upset about it as I myself have missed out in the same way in the past, but at the same time it looks like equal opportunities were given to both parties here. And come on dude the dealer presence has blown up here in the past few years and it's nice when ONCE IN A WHILE a seller actually sells to someone HERE who'll use it and bring it to events and enjoy it with family. Did Adrian also offer a much smoother and faster transaction than Mark did? Yes it appears so.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat