Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 15th, 2015, 04:35 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

Funny to me:
- seller meets criteria spelled out above with over 100 post
-seller on site over 3 years
-first thread referenced is NOT the one, as Jim would never do such. But most of you don't even know him!!
-licked is funny, period- unique to this site, get over it

Bottom line, people either have credibility or not- nothing unique to this site, just people. Point:

Client: Will you go to bed with me for $1mil?
Prospect: SURE!!
Client: How about $10?
Prospect: What kind of girl do you think I am?!
Client: We have already established that, now we are just negotiating....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 15th, 2015, 04:37 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
"Licking" originated as a joke when someone mistyped "I'd like that." It got a life of it's own from there. But it's not a thing. Just like saying "dibs" -you gotta follow through...
Negative.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ghlight=licked

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old July 15th, 2015, 06:17 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 15th, 2015, 06:38 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Funny, me too!

Semper Fi!
Old July 15th, 2015, 08:39 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Yes, fortunately I have been slightly toasted by people in regards to licking and not buying. I get it but I am just saying it works both ways. If someone brings cash I am taking it, regardless of previous commitments.

But agree 100% if someone confirms for asking price you really need to stop and just accept you were offered your sale price and move on.

The gentleman who sold me the XCLs was very very honest in this respect and I thank him for it, my truck looks great in 34" shoes
Old July 15th, 2015, 08:43 AM
belgian
Maxim
1995 RRC SWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPT90 View Post
The gentleman who sold me the XCLs was very very honest in this respect and I thank him for it, my truck looks great in 34" shoes
I'm already "licking" (first time I use this term) those XCL's for when you sell them.. just saying.
Old July 15th, 2015, 08:49 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
At first, I thought the "licking" mechanism was silly, but it actually seems to work. The more I think about it, it's genius.

It's a basic economic mechanism, the online equivalent of "taking a number".

The licking/unlicking mechanism provides a strong method of removing the subjectivity of transactions online, and that subjectivity is what causes problems.

It forces the seller and buyer to acknowledge a transaction, which gives them both ample time to complete it. Without the licking mechanism, it would be utter chaos.

I cannot understand how "licking" and then not buying presents a problem. The next person in line simply gets the part.
Old July 15th, 2015, 09:13 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by belgian View Post
I'm already "licking" (first time I use this term) those XCL's for when you sell them.. just saying.
HA! you can buy the truck with them
Old July 15th, 2015, 09:28 AM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
I've sold enough on the nets to know that you kinda have to have a solid line up area posted. In other words, for me it's a PM. Whoever PM's first, is first in line.

I'd rather have it fall through at the PM/forum level than to have to go through returning peoples' funds on PayPal or whatever.

Once you PM, if you say you are getting it, I'm expecting payment quick. Not in the hour, but say 24 hours. After that, I'll let you know if I'm moving on to the next guy in line.

Therefore, the "licked" or "dibs" "feature" that people use is actually good in my estimation. And if someone comments on the thread, I'll know who to go to if the sale falls through.

In the end, it is up to the seller. Post on the thread that you will only take PM's, in order, and only once funds are cleared is the sale final. Make your own rules so the guy who gets mad has no recourse but to learn to read.

If you do accept a sale, it's done. None of this going back and asking for more money though. That's just stupid.

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Old July 15th, 2015, 10:06 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Alternatively site shuts down sales here and opens "D-Bay" as a marketplace specifically for Sales of Defender related products.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old July 15th, 2015, 10:24 AM
speedpin
Adam
1985 130 Gen IV

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Alternatively site shuts down sales here and opens "D-Bay" as a marketplace specifically for Sales of Defender related products.
And charges a 1% "D-Bay"sales fee, funds put towards Annual D90 Rally!
Old July 15th, 2015, 10:28 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
FWIW, I get licked. Its the un-licked term that I have an issue with

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old July 15th, 2015, 10:49 AM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
FWIW, I get licked.
Please Doug, that's just too personal, even for me.
Old July 15th, 2015, 11:05 AM
Ben01
Ben
Defender

I've been burned a few times with "licked" but 99% of the time this forum is an easy way to sell some parts to enthusiasts.

That being said, I've also been screwed a few times as a buyer on here and received damaged or the incorrect goods and eventually had to give up contacting the seller.

I would suggest that we need better rules for reserving, purchasing and delivery of goods. I do respect that this is not an auction site but a lot of us buy and sell through this forum and the process can be a mess when it doesn't go smoothly.

I don't have the time or the patience to propose rules, so I do appreciate that I am being critical and not productive.
Old July 15th, 2015, 11:06 AM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

Is it really that difficult to say "I'll take it"? It's pretty hard to misinterpret that. I realize it's not "cute" or "cool" but at least everybody knows what it means.
Old July 15th, 2015, 11:08 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
So it went like this:

1. Yeah Mark it's yours for $1,500 send me the money
2. Hello yeah Adrian, sorry its sold
3. Damn - bummer - how about I give you $2,000 for it
4. ooooooooh - more money - let me see if the other guy will do $2K
5. Hey Mark someone offered me $2K - I am in desperate need of money, will you match the $2K?
6. No bloody way - you sold it to me for $1500 - WTF???? I won't give you $2K
7. Hey Adrian you just bought my series for $2K

#4 is a douche move....PERIOD. It wasn't an auction, he advertised a price, someone paid him his price, he "sold" the truck.
Old July 15th, 2015, 11:16 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steinhnj View Post
Please Doug, that's just too personal, even for me.
you with your up and down periscope relationship have no place casting stones

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old July 15th, 2015, 11:20 AM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

More rules/regulation is seldom the answer. For every problem it solves there are usually a handful of unintended consequences or lost liberties/freedoms.

I would suggest a sub-forum for "Bad Sellers, Disputes, etc". In this case Mark could start a thread titled "Beware of ANDY110" or something like that where he would then explain his bad experience. ANDY110 could also state his side and no, a binding resolution would not be reached but the information would be there for other users to review for possible future business transactions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben01 View Post
I've been burned a few times with "licked" but 99% of the time this forum is an easy way to sell some parts to enthusiasts.

That being said, I've also been screwed a few times as a buyer on here and received damaged or the incorrect goods and eventually had to give up contacting the seller.

I would suggest that we need better rules for reserving, purchasing and delivery of goods. I do respect that this is not an auction site but a lot of us buy and sell through this forum and the process can be a mess when it doesn't go smoothly.

I don't have the time or the patience to propose rules, so I do appreciate that I am being critical and not productive.
Old July 15th, 2015, 11:23 AM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
So it went like this:

1. Yeah Mark it's yours for $1,500 send me the money
2. Hello yeah Adrian, sorry its sold
3. Damn - bummer - how about I give you $2,000 for it
4. ooooooooh - more money - let me see if the other guy will do $2K
5. Hey Mark someone offered me $2K - I am in desperate need of money, will you match the $2K?
6. No bloody way - you sold it to me for $1500 - WTF???? I won't give you $2K
7. Hey Adrian you just bought my series for $2K

#4 is a douche move....PERIOD. It wasn't an auction, he advertised a price, someone paid him his price, he "sold" the truck.

Agreed. IMO, committing to sell something is sold. Everyone has probably had people offer more than what the part/vehicle sold for after they agreed on a price with someone, you should never go back on your word.

Sounds like Mark had already gone to FedEx to drop off the money, possibly even sent it before getting that update. Pretty weak move.
Old July 15th, 2015, 11:30 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishEH View Post
I would suggest a sub-forum for "Bad Sellers, Disputes, etc". In this case Mark could start a thread titled "Beware of ANDY110" or something like that where he would then explain his bad experience. ANDY110 could also state his side and no, a binding resolution would not be reached but the information would be there for other users to review for possible future business transactions.
The local gun forum has a "Sales Feedback" section. Only the two parties can post comments and it has more or less stopped stuff like this from happening and has also highlighted the flippers and the scammers.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat