My 94 D90 has been totalled. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 12th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Angry My 94 D90 has been totalled.

Was on my way to 24 hr fitness in North Hollywood, Indian guy ran a red light, made a evasive hard left to avoid him, we collided in the intersection. His 99' toyota is totalled..like not much is left of it. My D90 has its frame bent to the left. hard to see it but its definately bent, cage, bulkhead and tub is fine albeit some scratches. Amazingly the D90 did no flip over although it did spin out. Witness and cops came, all in my favor. Cops even called the guy a doosh. Guy does have insurance (infinity). My knees are cut up but I'll live. Had my seat belt on. Saw him comming so I braced myself on the momo. What do now..

Robert Deniro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 12th, 2012, 02:57 PM
texrover
Jason
71 SIIA, 03 RR, 94 D90 (PO), 83 110

Registry
Wow that sucks sorry

To cheer you up:

I dated a gal who cut her leg in a car wreck one night. You'll pull through. Don't let it slow you down in bed - didn't stop her
1994 D90 ST (PO)
Old September 12th, 2012, 03:05 PM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
Glad your OK. Time for a galvy chassis and a 300TDI
Direct Line 518-539-2231

If ordering on our online site please choose me as the sales rep. If placing a phone order please call me directly at the numbers above.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 12th, 2012, 03:08 PM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by brn24whl View Post
Glad your OK. Time for a galvy chassis and a 300TDI
I was thinking the same thing.
Try to make sure the insurance agency doesn't label your defender salvaged. Glad you are okay.
Old September 12th, 2012, 03:17 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

I'm ok but my knees have cuts, nothing that needs stiches. I don't want them to total my car but it means a lot to me, i biult the friggin thing myself. So worse case scenario they will total it but I will buy it back. I guess I don't have a choice here. It is rebiuldable, just needs new frame, radiator & radiator support, right fender, new ARB bumper, definately need new front trailing arms. Basically I need to rebiuld the entire front end. I have pictures of everything just need to upload them. I'm not going to let my D90 die, I will rebiuld it after I buy it back. I don't care about what the salvage title does to the value, its my truck and I would never sell it since its a part of my history.

Robert Deniro
Old September 12th, 2012, 03:18 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Call up insurance and either (1) get the biggest check they will give you without totaling or (2) let them total and buy back as salvage (one person here bought back a salvage d90 for very short money from insurance).

I would go with (1) and then send her off to be fixed with a galvanized frame and whatever she needs.

Don't agree to or sign anything at any point in time without talking to a lawyer.
Old September 12th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

I wonder what they will value my D90 at. I bought it for 26k back in 98 or 99. Put new motor, tranny etc etc. I think I put at least $15k into it, not including my stereo system and my labor. Either way don't worry, I will rebiuld it with a new galvy chassic and terra firma suspension parts. I don't care if its worth nothing after the rebiuld, its my D90 and I'll keep it forever.

Robert Deniro
Old September 12th, 2012, 03:23 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

At least it did not roll over or mess up the cage... Everything else is replaceable. Sucks, but it gives you the time to build it up all over again.

Old September 12th, 2012, 03:24 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Call up insurance and either (1) get the biggest check they will give you without totaling or (2) let them total and buy back as salvage (one person here bought back a salvage d90 for very short money from insurance).

I would go with (1) and then send her off to be fixed with a galvanized frame and whatever she needs.

Don't agree to or sign anything at any point in time without talking to a lawyer.

I have an attorney, he's a good friend of the family, Jewish, aggressive, does PI and DUI cases all day long. He's all over this already, going to see a chiropractor, give him my med pay etc. I have just about every single coverage on my policy. As far as the D90, I think I will inquire about the getting as much money as I can without totalling it. I will call my adjuster.

Robert Deniro
Old September 12th, 2012, 03:29 PM
evilfij
evilfij

My experience is that you+attorney and being willing to give them a release and you will do fine. Also, I think you are entitled to get rental car coverage which can up the check (assuming it goes on the other guy's policy because it was his fault).
Old September 12th, 2012, 03:32 PM
lordhelemt
Paul
1995 D90 #2620 & NAS 110

When Allstate totaled mine they said I couldn't buy it back unless I was the high bidder at auction. I wasnt able to buy it at auction, no dealer license. I even tried to get a salvage guy to buy it for me but got fcked. Good luck!
RIP 1994 D90 #999 (engine fire 2002). We'll miss you.
Old September 12th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

I should start taking out all my expensive Polk amps. The 0 guage wiring and double optima set up took forever to do. What a shame. Seat box is fine, my knees hit the plastic AC vents, thats what cut up my knees. I feel very lucky to have been in my D90, I think any other car I would of gotten jacked up even worse.

Robert Deniro
Old September 12th, 2012, 03:38 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordhelemt View Post
When Allstate totaled mine they said I couldn't buy it back unless I was the high bidder at auction. I wasnt able to buy it at auction, no dealer license. I even tried to get a salvage guy to buy it for me but got fcked. Good luck!
It varies by state. Most states have a thing where you have a right to buy it back. ins co gets salvage bids on the car and you have a right to match the highest one. Allstate got bids and told me I could match the highest one. I declined. If it is the other guy's policy, you end up in a situation where you can always just sue him for damages so you are basically negotiating a check anyway.

My experience is ins cos try to screw you, but laws are usually very policyholder friendly so if you know your rights you do fine.

Neil, get the truck out of whereever it is and into your garage ASAP even if you have to foot the bill for the tow. Like do it today/now. That shit goes missing quick and additional damage occurs at body shops or tow lots.
Old September 12th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Pics!
Old September 12th, 2012, 03:51 PM
lordhelemt
Paul
1995 D90 #2620 & NAS 110

Def get the 90 in a garage. by the time mine was totaled all kind of sht was missing and it was at the dealer!
RIP 1994 D90 #999 (engine fire 2002). We'll miss you.
Old September 12th, 2012, 03:52 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Ron the truck is already at my house, I paid $160 to have it towed there. No way I was going to let any tow yard take it. The paramedics asked if I wanted to go tot he Hospital. I signed their waiver and declined because I wanted to go home with the AAA tow company and my D90. So its safe in my parking lot. Poor people who can't afford the tow are the ones that get boned, but their cars suck anyway so nothing loss.

Robert Deniro
Old September 12th, 2012, 03:57 PM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
Man, that sucks! Sorry to hear it Neil.

Here's hoping everything works out through insurance.
Old September 12th, 2012, 04:02 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

I'm going to lunch but when i get back I'll post some of the pics i took. Thanks Hans

Robert Deniro
Old September 12th, 2012, 04:09 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

When the insurance company comes back lowballing you on the supposed market value you will need to provide 6 comparable vehicles for sale to vaidate a higher market value comparison.. make sure you include all of the updated stuff on top of a comaprable vehicle comparison.. although some insurance companies won't recognise additional components as they are considered aftermarket..make sure you get the most favourable blue book values from KBB ond any other recognised valuers...like someone said...you can basically blackmail them by having them know that it could be dragged out with expensive medical claims also if they don't work with you..its better for them to come up 5-10k on the truck than have a 50k medical claim..
Old September 12th, 2012, 04:17 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
When the insurance company comes back lowballing you on the supposed market value you will need to provide 6 comparable vehicles for sale to vaidate a higher market value comparison.. make sure you include all of the updated stuff on top of a comaprable vehicle comparison.. although some insurance companies won't recognise additional components as they are considered aftermarket..make sure you get the most favourable blue book values from KBB ond any other recognised valuers...like someone said...you can basically blackmail them by having them know that it could be dragged out with expensive medical claims also if they don't work with you..its better for them to come up 5-10k on the truck than have a 50k medical claim..
I dont think he can bring up medical claims cause he signed the waiver.

Either way, glad to hear you made it out ok, and that the truck is in rebuildable shape.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, d90