My 94 D90 has been totalled. - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 12th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Hinckley423
Charles Joerss
1995 D-90 #2812

Registry
I didn't read every post in the thread but I asked my insurance guy what would happen to my truck if it were to be a total loss i.e. what would the value be. I did this because I had work done to it so it's in good shape mechanically. He said that if such a thing happens, to show the receipts for the work that was done and that will influence the value of the truck.

When I got into my first accident my parents said to me thankfully I'm not hurt and that a car is only metal and that it's fixable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 12th, 2012, 09:37 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinckley423 View Post
He said that if such a thing happens, to show the receipts for the work that was done and that will influence the value of the truck.
You will get an extra few hundred dollars. I am not kidding.

If you did substantial work, you really need an agreed value policy where it is insured to a specific number and you get that amount if it is totaled. Not stated value where they can say it is worth less.
Old September 12th, 2012, 10:57 PM
Hinckley423
Charles Joerss
1995 D-90 #2812

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
You will get an extra few hundred dollars. I am not kidding.

If you did substantial work, you really need an agreed value policy where it is insured to a specific number and you get that amount if it is totaled. Not stated value where they can say it is worth less.
That's good to know. Thank you. I appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 13th, 2012, 12:15 AM
Green Blood
Carl Phillips
1988 90- Swiss LHD 2.5 Petrol

Bad news for sure but you might luck-out and not need a new frame. The one I rebuilt was also hit in the front corner and the frame was slightly bent (but not buckled) and I was able to have a collision place pull it back into alignment. In fact, when they were done the diagonal measurements were within 2mm, which is probably better than when it left Solihull.

Either way, it's well worth the time and effort to repair.

Cheers,
Proud restorer and former owner of '94 NAS D90 #590- back in the hands of its original owners.

And now happy owner of a 1988 Swiss-Market D90 Station Wagon.
Old September 13th, 2012, 12:30 AM
Cred
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057

Registry
I hope you can get it fixed without to much drama. But I bet you will have to use the assistance of your lawyer to get you a decent check. Good luck. I can't wait to see the rebuild!
Old September 13th, 2012, 01:03 AM
cwilder
Chad
2012 110 Black

Registry
That sucks Neil, Glad to hear you are ok. Hows the Indian dude? His car look f'ed up. I'd get it rebuilt and have everything updated.
1997 D-90 #1867 (sold) :(
2012 Black 110 :) In OZ still
2011 LR4 "Metropolis" (sold) :(
2011 Raptor F150 SVT (sold) :(
2007 Shelby GT500 (sold)
2007 LR3 (sold)
2006 RRS (sold)
Old September 13th, 2012, 08:57 AM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Time for a galvanized chassis, Tdi engine and Puma dashboard. A lot of work but that would be the ultimate west coast 90.
Old September 13th, 2012, 09:29 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Why a Puma dashboard, unless he loves a dose of plastic just like anything else...?
+109" IIA ex-military

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sketches and doodles:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[O]===[O]
Old September 13th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
After having a puma dashboard for a month, I have to say, I really like it, and the a/c is really effective! Unless you are deadset on staying mechanical (like me), The TD5 and speed is really great on the road.
Old September 13th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
After having a puma dashboard for a month, I have to say, I really like it, and the a/c is really effective! Unless you are deadset on staying mechanical (like me), The TD5 and speed is really great on the road.
Can you post a photo of your upgrade? Dont think I've seen one of it....
Old September 13th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
I thought he meant he installed a new dash in his 110...guess I didn't think that post through!!
Old September 13th, 2012, 11:56 AM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
FWIW - stop posting pictures, talking about removing items, etc... until a deal is struck with the insurance company.

Get the highest repair quotes you can find - ECR, Dealership, Me (Insist on only new and original Land Rover Parts in the repair quote)

Get vehicle valuation quotes from ECR, Copley, Ebay - Come up with a spreadsheet for the $15k in parts/labor (and find as many receipts/invoices as possible)

Salvage parts value - find the lowest possible comps on totaled - non running - POS trucks

Decide what you want to have happen.

If Totalled / Salvage:

PAYOUT - what is enough on the payout that an average person can replace the vehicle w/o significant additional spend on your part.

BUYBACK - How high a price is still worth the effort of rebuilding, or can you sell off the good parts that would be redundant when you found another truck and recoup your buyback cost - be prepared to make a case to diminish the value of the usable parts of the vehicle with a detailed list of the LOWEST possible value for the small portion of undamaged parts

REBUILD - You have to have an authorized shop inspect and certify the truck for road use in CA when attempting to re-register a salvaged vehicle; and you have to show receipts for parts and labor to the insurance company to renew coverage - so it may be better to part-out and build onto a clean VIN as your truck will NEVER be worth quite a much with an accident on the VIN

If Repair

Repair Costs - what is "repaired" to the insurance may not be the same to you, so clarify what you expect - NEW OEM parts, NO bondo, NEW chassis (not repaired/straightened) etc. You have the right to have the truck repaired anywhere you like - so find the most expensive and highest quality repair places (at least 3) when getting quotes.

Self repair - you can also do the work yourself as long as you can show reasonable cost to the insurance company vs. a commercial shop. Don't let them tell you that you can-not do the work. Build your own estimate if you intend to do it yourself for ALL the parts you MIGHT need to do the repair, include flat rate labor by component (a shop will charge for 8 hours labor to swap a transmission so that is the labor time/rate you put into the valuation even if it takes you 20 hours to do it.)

Loss of value - remember that your truck VIN will never be worth as much with an accident on record so do whatever you can to improve the payout valuation - again good comps help

You have a bargaining ship by retaining the vehicle, do not release it to anyone until all interest has been clarified and the insurance negotiations are done. Take lots of pictures and DO NOT REMOVE ANYTHING as the additional items increase the value and are in your favor.

Good luck, and let me know if we can help.

Brian
Old September 13th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Skeena river rover
jeroen
1997 300 TDI 110

I thought i had a shitty day! Man good luck with the aftermath! I hope you can rebuilt it and even make it better some how!
Old September 13th, 2012, 01:42 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
glad to see you are alright
Old September 13th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilder View Post
That sucks Neil, Glad to hear you are ok. Hows the Indian dude? His car look f'ed up. I'd get it rebuilt and have everything updated.
I really don't know how the Indian guy made out. Immediately after the accident I made sure it was safe to exit, turned off the engine and hobbled to the corner. I was in no condition to cross the street to check up on anyone. I think I see blood on his seat in the picture. But I do know he didn't leave with the ambulance. One last pic. Upon closer inspection, looks like there was some pulling/pushing on the bulkhead, nothing too bad but still, part of it will need to get pulled/hammered out for sure. I think the for the most part it is still aligned. The broken glass on the bulkhead channel is from his drivers side windows. My car was literally showered with glass from that. None of my glass was broken. My attorney said the case looks good. Wish me luck. In the last 2 pics, you can see how the fenders got tweaked, both sides are bent like this to the left. Now to wait for the adjusters to take a look.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0126.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	57561   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0123.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	57562  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0125.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	57563  

Robert Deniro
Old September 14th, 2012, 07:26 AM
cwilder
Chad
2012 110 Black

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cube II View Post
Why a Puma dashboard, unless he loves a dose of plastic just like anything else...?
The Puma dash is huge improvement. I love it!
2007 Shelby GT500 (sold)
2007 LR3 (sold)
2006 RRS (sold)
Old September 17th, 2012, 07:56 AM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

If you want the chance to recover maximum value and keep options open for yourself, then the first thing you should do is stop chatting about about it on this site or other public forums.
Old September 17th, 2012, 09:12 AM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinckley423 View Post
I didn't read every post in the thread but I asked my insurance guy what would happen to my truck if it were to be a total loss i.e. what would the value be. I did this because I had work done to it so it's in good shape mechanically. He said that if such a thing happens, to show the receipts for the work that was done and that will influence the value of the truck.
This was one of the things I was having an issue with on my UK-sourced 90 using "normal" insurance, Geico, Liberty Mutual, etc. I couldn't get a clear answer outside of the book value, which doesn't help for an imported truck.

As stated above, an agreed value policy is the only way to get that amount in the event of a total loss.

----

Glad to hear you're ok. Good luck with getting it worked out/fixed.
Old October 4th, 2012, 07:30 AM
cwilder
Chad
2012 110 Black

Registry
Any updates Neil?
2007 Shelby GT500 (sold)
2007 LR3 (sold)
2006 RRS (sold)
Old October 19th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Yeah sorry I've been busy lately because of work, clubbing and Halloween. The report came out. It was in my favor. The other guy is responsible for the accident. Right now its in the body shop and my guy is haggling with the other guys insurance for the maximum amount we can get. Meanwhile still going to my chiropractor etc. BTW, I'm selling the porsche, I think I'm going to get the 2012 Lamborghini gallardo 550-2. Really good prices right now.

Robert Deniro

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, d90