MUDD-UK blind spot Mirrors - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old August 27th, 2015, 11:10 AM
1985 LR 90 200Tdi
MUDD-UK blind spot Mirrors

I was fortunate to be giving a set of MUD-UK’s new blind spot mirrors to review. Thanks to Lucky8llc. I had been toying with the idea of getting a set of the ten inch mirrors and using one of those stick on convex jobs. As driving a homemarket LR90 here in the States, traffic seems to creep on your blind side.

I am just about to do a 2k mile trip, so we’ll see how good these are.

On opening the box the mirrors like pretty well good built, looks about the size of a LR 10”model with a new glass insert. First obstacle was removing the OEM Britexe mirrors with distorting the mounting base, for future use.

Greased up the first mirrors fixing bolt and set about fitting it to the arm. upon tightening up the screw, there was a plastic sounding snap from the inside of the mirror head, removed the screw and found the metal holding plate inside the head had come a drift.

I removed the glass by undoing the rubber gasket and that there is a plastic bridge piece that holds the metal plate in place, this bridge is wedged into the mirror head by a couple pieces of plastic molding on the head. Why the bridge broke free is that there is a hole for the mounting bolt to pass through which is the same size hole as the bolt. I suppose the bridge piece moved about once that bolt was removed for fitting.

I ran a 3/8 inch drill bit through the hole opening up so there was some clearance for the bolt to clear, I hot glued the first one as the head holding pieces of plastic that bridge fits under had snapped off.

Well that was the fitting snafu over.

Well back from my trip, I can say that the convex part of the mirrors are really good for wanting that close up look i.e hooking up the trailer for one thing. these mirrors do move around quite a bit to air bouncing off them. At legal Texas hwy speeds the top portion of the mirror just bounces all over. I do not know if the OEM 10 inch mirrors are the same, but I think the base of the mirror needs more structure.

On the way back home coming into SA I was getting a whistling sound and thinking shit the turbo is on the way or a hose had come off, but it turned out to be the rubber gasket that holds the glass to the mirror body was melting in the heat (100 deg day) and was becoming loose henst the whistling. The rubber could be a better fit (tighter) or rubber that can take the heat.

So in all the vision is great in slower speeds (under 80) But I shall continue to use these, as the first rule of Italian driving “what’s behind me is of no importance”
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150709_143633.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	128148   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150709_145222.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	128149  

Edward Teach is the Blackbeard, and is a member of the Birmabright Brotherhood.

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 FHC

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat