mpgs for diesels? - Page 5 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 15th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Man. If I could break 20 I would be a happy camper. I need a freekin' EGT ASAP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 17th, 2008, 06:32 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37
Just came across this 110 claiming 30MPG. Is this possible?

http://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/car/747540985.html
doubt it.

This debate can probably go on forever.

I'm sure I'll be repeating myself, but in the real world of actually driving in everyday situations I still say you'd be very lucky to acheive an honest 25mpg (US) regardless of which Rover diesel it is or which Rover it is in. If you want to be an obsesive mileage junky and fiddle around with tire pressures daily....which if you check your tires daily you'd realise the need for that to maintain the optimum pressure for your rig / tire combo......or drive around tippy toeing the skinny pedal and crying every time you have to accelerate into traffic......or .....you can enjoy the fact that you are getting probably twice the mileage the V8 did, and enjoy driving a damn fine motor.

Call me pesimistic if you want, but a couple of guys on the internet claiming 30% more mileage vs. the rest that can't get that vs. the many of these that I drive and work on daily that don't get that and I'd have to go with the observed average of something like 23-25 mpg at best for normal vehicles driven by normal people.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old July 17th, 2008, 11:28 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Your a pessimist then.

I have worked on these trucks and engines daily for a good many years. They were designed to return higher mpg then your experience with them. I agree it takes a hands on approach. And a responsible right foot. Beyond that its the quality of the running gear and its maintenance.

You can goad me on all day long to show you the magic button to press. Fact is, its hard to teach an old dog new tricks. Besides I might just point at the wrong button to see everyone go through the same heartache I have just for my amusement.

Its the law of attraction in your case. If you say it isn't possible, guess what it isn't. Why don't you work a little harder to show us how it is possible. Get a test vehicle. Or better yet a customers test vehicle and have him pay to make possible the higher fuel mpg returns.

There is a Fuel Crisis underway in USA. Its every ones responsibility to use less now. Until we can overcome the problems. Get a second car that uses less fuel. Use it more often then the main car. Park the schoolbus family car unless it is going to be filled with people when being used. A bus is the most efficient use of fuel to move people when full. That ideology will bring progress.

If you have to drive the Land Rover every day make it as efficient as possible. Try to use less now. Think of others and there difficulties with high fuel prices. Truckers. Retired people on fixed income. Low income people. Single mothers with deadbeat dads. As we abuse the resource of fuel and drive its price up we create a rift between ourselves and those that have little and less then ourselves. Do what you can to close that rift and enjoy the consequences. That is the true American spirit. I realize you are a transplant to us. But USA tends to bring the best out of all people. Humanity is a better product with our infuence.

Hows that for an internet soapbox?

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 17th, 2008, 12:10 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Wow Pendy, if you're really that positive you need to get a government job and read some articles over at The Misanthropic Bitch. Bad baby names is especially amusing.

http://www.omgwallhack.org/mirror/ww...pic-bitch.com/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old July 17th, 2008, 12:37 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Flossing a dead horse-sums it up

Old July 17th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Pendy,

I'm clapping- can you hear me ?

The gears are turning on switching big Green over to a 200 TDI (according to all the web boards gets better economy than the 300). I will be your grasshopper if master can get me to 27mpg.

lol

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old July 18th, 2008, 07:28 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
that's awsome. I'm truely humbled?

I'm not trying to "goad" you into revealing any "magic buttons" at all. I'm comfortable with my talents and continue to work on improving.....the one thing I have learned. But, for the rest of the listening audience that have asked for, or you have offered advice.....you have yet to complete your "education". I applaud you for keeping the enthusiasm alive and the American spirit and all. Good discussion to have in these times. If you follow through, then you too can live up to the spirit of your soapbox ideology.

So as to NOT avoid the personal aspect of every internet technical discussion... as a "transplant to the US" I have a pretty good understanding (as does the ROW) about how to get along with much less than is considered the norm here. Economy as a matter of survival rather than a reaction to a crisis.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old July 18th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
There is a Fuel Crisis underway in USA. Its every ones responsibility to use less now. Until we can overcome the problems. Get a second car that uses less fuel. Use it more often then the main car. Park the schoolbus family car unless it is going to be filled with people when being used. A bus is the most efficient use of fuel to move people when full. That ideology will bring progress.

If you have to drive the Land Rover every day make it as efficient as possible. Try to use less now. Think of others and there difficulties with high fuel prices. Truckers. Retired people on fixed income. Low income people. Single mothers with deadbeat dads. As we abuse the resource of fuel and drive its price up we create a rift between ourselves and those that have little and less then ourselves. Do what you can to close that rift and enjoy the consequences. That is the true American spirit. I realize you are a transplant to us. But USA tends to bring the best out of all people. Humanity is a better product with our infuence.

The U.S. uses 20 to 25% of the worlds light crude depending on the source. Of that, 20% is used in cars, the other 80% going to energy, manufacturing ect. So even if we eliminated ALL cars in the U.S. we would drop worldwide demand by a whopping 4%. China and India are growing faster than that rate, so basically, conservation does jack f'ing sh*t to the price of oil. I'm not saying its not a good idea for the environment, the pocketbook, or that warm fuzzy feeling you get, it just doesn't matter for the "rift" between rich and poor. Sorry to bring that to light, but focusing on the wrong thing is as bad as doing nothing.

Time for Nuclear power, more drilling, technology exploration, and speculation reform, not hybrids. Oh and yes, conservation, it's just in last place.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old July 19th, 2008, 12:00 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
The U.S. uses 20 to 25% of the worlds light crude depending on the source. Of that, 20% is used in cars, the other 80% going to energy, manufacturing ect. So even if we eliminated ALL cars in the U.S. we would drop worldwide demand by a whopping 4%. China and India are growing faster than that rate, so basically, conservation does jack f'ing sh*t to the price of oil. I'm not saying its not a good idea for the environment, the pocketbook, or that warm fuzzy feeling you get, it just doesn't matter for the "rift" between rich and poor. Sorry to bring that to light, but focusing on the wrong thing is as bad as doing nothing.

Time for Nuclear power, more drilling, technology exploration, and speculation reform, not hybrids. Oh and yes, conservation, it's just in last place.
My point is that fuel prices are somewhat controlled by supply and demand. Notice how the amount of fuel sold is tracked every second of every day? That information is digested and used to set price. If the trend is for everyone to use less and cry for a hybrid or economy box I believe it will effect price in the end. If the consumer rejects the price the market will adjust. Maybe drill more oil wells. Finally get us the cheap biodiesel that is attainable. Manufacture hydrogen/electric fleet buses and over the road trucks to free up some of the fuel oil use. There is a bigger picture in mind when I promote chalking your tires for better fuel economy. If everyone get jumps on the bandwagon public opinion will effect more change then conservation in the end. I am not naive' enough to think just because I saved a few gallons of fuel a month it will go to some starving artist who can finish his Mona Lisa.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyddog11
So as to NOT avoid the personal aspect of every internet technical discussion... as a "transplant to the US" I have a pretty good understanding (as does the ROW) about how to get along with much less than is considered the norm here. Economy as a matter of survival rather than a reaction to a crisis.
Survival instincts are certainly never overated. I see you still miss my point. America is about everyone having "more" across the board. This extends to the rest of the world in our gracious giving. I think this is one of those periods in history where we have to reinvent our economy as a nation to enjoy the level of success we have in past times. For ourselves and others, USA has certainly done this many times before.

So the public attention to high fuel prices and the many reactions to it as a problem and how to solve it have a much greater chance of meeting success with our "can do" attitude as a nation. IMO

Old July 19th, 2008, 01:06 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
My point is that fuel prices are somewhat controlled by supply and demand. Notice how the amount of fuel sold is tracked every second of every day? That information is digested and used to set price. If the trend is for everyone to use less and cry for a hybrid or economy box I believe it will effect price in the end. If the consumer rejects the price the market will adjust. Maybe drill more oil wells. Finally get us the cheap biodiesel that is attainable. Manufacture hydrogen/electric fleet buses and over the road trucks to free up some of the fuel oil use. There is a bigger picture in mind when I promote chalking your tires for better fuel economy. If everyone get jumps on the bandwagon public opinion will effect more change then conservation in the end. I am not naive' enough to think just because I saved a few gallons of fuel a month it will go to some starving artist who can finish his Mona Lisa.
Your a little right, a little naive, and a little grade school pinch on the cheek cute.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old July 19th, 2008, 02:54 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Quote:
Your a little right, a little naive, and a little grade school pinch on the cheek cute.

Don't know about a pinch, but you can smooch my q$$!

Old July 19th, 2008, 07:45 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

I can't believe on of our brilliant representatives hasn't tried to revive the 55mph speed limit. It would be an eco feel good campaign slogan, and increase state revenues. Maybe it's because there are enough of us who remember those days to vote the idea out of office.

The drill here, drill now idea seems to be picking up speed.

Funny thing about the Saudis oil.... exploration is now going forward in the Saudi "wilderness" desert areas that they have never bothered to explore before. And they are not spending their money to do it?

A few weeks ago demand was for something like 87 million barrels and supply was 85 million and the Saudis said they would increase production by 200 thousand barrels. While prices are way higher that ever before.

Old July 21st, 2008, 02:10 AM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90
As stated, there is no reason for me to run above 12 psi ATM as the fueling diaphragm runs out of travel around there with the current spring. Fine with me as there is enough power. I'm doing a trip at the end of the month and can report mileage then. I've got a new VDO speedo in there and the odometer has been calibrated to be within .2%...

I still doubt I can get to 30 mpg without driving around 55 mph, which I would/will never do for a full tank, with the current gearing....but you never know.
John - Curious to hear whether all the adjustments you made netted you any mileage improvement. Thanks.
Old July 21st, 2008, 01:30 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanS
John - Curious to hear whether all the adjustments you made netted you any mileage improvement. Thanks.
No, nothing measurable. But usable power is better and smoother with less off boost smoke. Like I said earlier, If I did drive 55 mph for a whole tank, I could do 30 mpg, but (IMO), my gearing is too low to get higher mileage at the normal highway speeds that I drive. I plan on changing to a 1.2 transfer case one of these days when I have time and money.

Of course, there are still other Pendy suggestions that have not yet been done as I don't have the time at the moment. There is a serious expedition trip happening in two weeks and everything is going towards making sure I ready for that trip.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 05:17 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

John - Thanks for the update. I'll be doing this tuning to my 2.8 soon so I've been following this thread. I'm hoping to improve the hill climbing performance and mileage a bit. I've just installed a full-width intercooler (Thanks Pendy), and have re-routed my wastegate and diaphragm signals to the intake plenum. Haven't opened up the IP yet as I want to run a baseline at the stock settings first. I've also decided to swap out my 1.4 TC for a 1.2 I have lying around.

I ran a test a while ago where I tried to drive extremely conservative. Didn't go over 65 and accelerated slowly and coasted as much as I could. Surprisingly I saw no difference in mileage from normal driving (I'll usually drive at speeds up to 75-80). I guess the good news is that I couldn't stand to drive that way anyway, but I wonder how much I'll be able to improve the mileage. I'll be happy though if I can improve driveability and maintain the same mileage.

Ryan
Old July 23rd, 2008, 12:49 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Quote:
Don't know about a pinch, but you can smooch my q$$!

Of course David and I have known each other a while now. He's a good guy even if Rush Limbaugh is his uncle. Lets not get confused and think I let him upset me. It's just a little banter.

Old July 23rd, 2008, 07:48 PM
moose
Brett
Ex-Mod Tdi 110 Hard Top

Registry
I got 29 mpg over 700 km distance travelled on my last tank of diesel. This is in a 110 with 300Tdi runing on 7.50 X 16 tires at an average speed of about 95 kph.

Brett
Old July 23rd, 2008, 08:17 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by moose
I got 29 mpg over 700 km distance travelled on my last tank of diesel. This is in a 110 with 300Tdi runing on 7.50 X 16 tires at an average speed of about 95 kph.

Brett
Is that US gallons?

Also how are you measuring distance? The stock speedos usually read 10% high.
Old July 24th, 2008, 02:07 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Quote:

Hey Buck where did you get these statistics? I want to slap them on a bumper sticker since my water is heated by solar, I get my electricity from the wind and heat my house with corn and wood pellets then i should be able to drive whatever i want without getting looks of disgust from Prius drivers when they see the 110. Which has been happening quite a bit since Ive moved to Maine.
Old July 24th, 2008, 04:27 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37
i should be able to drive whatever i want without getting looks of disgust from Prius drivers when they see the 110. Which has been happening quite a bit since Ive moved to Maine.
You could always cruise to Rockland, ME for relief. Rumor has it there is a Rover or two in that town...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
diesel