Mowers, with snow removal - advice - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old January 23rd, 2012, 07:07 PM
hillstrubl's Avatar
hillstrubl
Status: Offline
Danny
2005 Disco 3
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philly, USA
Posts: 1,596
Mowers, with snow removal - advice

So I may soon be in the market for a ride-on mower with a way of using it in winter for snow removal.
I'd almost certainly get a used one just due to price differences. I have a pretty steep driveway, really long sidewalk (that I have to remove snow from as per town ordinances) and a pretty large lawn. I was thinking a 2WD ride on, but I would definitely at least need chains for that first run back up the driveway in the winter...

Ideally I'd like a diesel, 4wd quad with pull-behind mower that I can attach a plow to in the winter, but money doesn't grow on trees.

I'm leaning towards a 2nd hand petrol, 2wd ride on, chains for winter and a plow or maybe a snow thrower attachment as budget allows (or I can upgrade later).

I know you guys have thoughts on the subject and I'm all ears... go!
__________________
~2005 Disco 3 "Moneypenny"
~2008 GTI TSI
~If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you are reading this in English, thank a Veteran.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old January 23rd, 2012, 07:17 PM
Peter's Avatar
Peter
Status: Offline
Peter
1997 D90
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Doylestown, PA
Posts: 132
I looked into a mower for a snow removal and ended up getting a snow blower. The mower concerned me for the days when we get big dumps. Plus it was a bit overkill for our property.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old January 23rd, 2012, 08:14 PM
JBinAlabama
Status: Offline
john
Series 2A ..more parts on the way
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Gulf Shores, Alabama
Posts: 278
How about a series with a snowplow!

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old January 23rd, 2012, 08:57 PM
o2batsea's Avatar
o2batsea
Status: Offline
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: kensington md
Posts: 6,502
Registry
Well, there's the Gravely thing. If you do get bitten by the bug you'll find a community similar to the Rover one.
While the Gravely riders are 2wd, they are built to be indestructible. The 800 series or the "professional" G series can be fit with all manner of attachments; mowers, blades, snowblowers, tillers, etc.
Engines vary from ten horse single to twenty horse twin on pretty much the same chassis.
A good 80's vintage 12 horse 800 rider will be 3-600 and usually have the 50 inch belly mower that has hydraulic lift.
The 42 inch snowblower will be around 150-250 depending on condition.
A G model will be several thousand. There are two on eBay with asking prices near 4k.
There are similar aficionados of Cub Cadet, which you can't go wrong with either.
__________________
Bill Adams

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old January 23rd, 2012, 09:22 PM
Jackie Treehorn's Avatar
Jackie Treehorn
Status: Offline
A
1985 (legitimately)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,984
Registry
I'd go with a basic snowblower from what you've described. Consider it a replacable appliance and don't get carried away with consumer reports because every one that you'll find at the big box stores sucks. I mean don't get me wrong, they'll do their job for a few years, but the gauge of the metal and the quality of the parts is suspect at best.
All that said, they are a perfect tool for a typical driveway and sidewalk scenario with under an acre.

You didn't mention how large your property (acreage) is, but there's no use/need for a garden tractor large enough to accomodate a proper snowblower attachment unless you've got well over an acre. Plus most lawn (and garden tractors for that matter) will struggle with even the slightest pitch when it's icey (even with weights and chains).

I've gone through three decent lawn tractors before I bit the bullet and invested in a John Deere 455 diesel garden tractor. Belt-driven snowblower attachments for Craftman, Husqvarna, etc., are expensive to buy and utterly useless in a significant snowstorm.

The JD 455 is a completely shaft-driven and hydraulic-operated 2-stage blower that will move some serious snow. The downside is its size and cost. Manuvering is tough with a tractor-mounted blower. There are many times when I'd rather have a simple walk-behind Gravely or regular snowblower, but I use my tractor for many other excersizes around the property (which is under 1.5 acres), so the multi-tasking JD 455 is the right tool for me. If you've got over an acre and space and budget permit it, the 455 or its current model replacement which I think is the 7** series is a legit tractor. I was really thankful for the tractor and 54" snowblower last season with all that snow we had in new england.

-Oh, and Ive also used 4x4 ATVs and side-by-sides for plowing and unless you're doing a wide open area, they are miserable in terms of manuverability.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old January 23rd, 2012, 11:19 PM
nathanwind's Avatar
nathanwind
Status: Offline
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Saratoga NY
Posts: 8,741
Registry
Danny...when the hell did you move to Philly???

Peter...see you picked up a '95 90 from your profile, nice man - who's was it?
__________________
Jason Lavender
'71 Series IIA
'88 127 #F96 DKN
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old January 23rd, 2012, 11:33 PM
Rugbier's Avatar
Rugbier
Status: Offline
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Peoples Republic of Marylandistan
Posts: 5,884
Registry
kubota with snow thrower ( if mula it is not an object )

option ( CC, Toro and the likes have 0 turn and the thrower attachment )
__________________
NO SIGNATURE
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old January 24th, 2012, 09:01 AM
the rover shop
Status: Offline
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: ft lauderdale florida
Posts: 5,225
SNOW...???? what is that you speak of...They make something that allows you to never have to worry about snow on your driveway again...It's called a moving van...85 degrees here today...I actually had to have a blanket on my bed last night......shorts and t-shirt weather today...suckers...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old January 24th, 2012, 09:12 AM
Rugbier's Avatar
Rugbier
Status: Offline
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Peoples Republic of Marylandistan
Posts: 5,884
Registry
mate..

PISS OFF

and I would love to see you dealing with the ice ( as we did the last 2 days ) when you come up

LOL
__________________
NO SIGNATURE
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old January 24th, 2012, 09:52 AM
don's Avatar
don
Status: Offline
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rumson, NJ
Posts: 4,271
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
I'd go with a basic snowblower from what you've described. Consider it a replacable appliance and don't get carried away with consumer reports because every one that you'll find at the big box stores sucks. I mean don't get me wrong, they'll do their job for a few years, but the gauge of the metal and the quality of the parts is suspect at best.
All that said, they are a perfect tool for a typical driveway and sidewalk scenario with under an acre.

You didn't mention how large your property (acreage) is, but there's no use/need for a garden tractor large enough to accomodate a proper snowblower attachment unless you've got well over an acre. Plus most lawn (and garden tractors for that matter) will struggle with even the slightest pitch when it's icey (even with weights and chains).

I've gone through three decent lawn tractors before I bit the bullet and invested in a John Deere 455 diesel garden tractor. Belt-driven snowblower attachments for Craftman, Husqvarna, etc., are expensive to buy and utterly useless in a significant snowstorm.

The JD 455 is a completely shaft-driven and hydraulic-operated 2-stage blower that will move some serious snow. The downside is its size and cost. Manuvering is tough with a tractor-mounted blower. There are many times when I'd rather have a simple walk-behind Gravely or regular snowblower, but I use my tractor for many other excersizes around the property (which is under 1.5 acres), so the multi-tasking JD 455 is the right tool for me. If you've got over an acre and space and budget permit it, the 455 or its current model replacement which I think is the 7** series is a legit tractor. I was really thankful for the tractor and 54" snowblower last season with all that snow we had in new england.

-Oh, and Ive also used 4x4 ATVs and side-by-sides for plowing and unless you're doing a wide open area, they are miserable in terms of manuverability.
I'd second a decent snowblower and get a good mower. I've got a 24" Snapper thrower that hadn't had much use until the last 2 winters. And it did the job when we got hit hard those last 2 years. For a run of sidewalk nothing is going to work better. One cut up and another back and done. Even with a normal width driveway a snowblower works great - work off the center and toss it to either side - you don't even have to turn the scoop. Jackie makes a good point of manuverability. I can open up my whole setup with the 24" with hardly any shoveling. The bigger the machine the more cleanup work.

I've had snowplows do my driveway and they make more of a mess and don't cut down to the black top many times depending on type of snow and if it is fresh or not. So by the time I pay someone to plow and then I have to go out and clean and cut anyway it's just worth taking my time with the Snapper.

For a mower - I had a Bobcat 48" walker when I first bought my house. Then a couple years ago went to a 48" Bobcat Fastcat. It's well made but just isn't as burly as their top of the line riders. But it is plenty fine for 1 lawn/week use. I have about an acre of grass. I could never use a lawn tractor - PITA to cuts strips and they are harder for opening up/cutting along the edges.

As far as other stuff in the yard: if I'm cutting a tree or moving material I just use a wheelbarrow or cart. Leaves we'll pile up, put on the tarp and then tie the tarp to the Bobcat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
Well, there's the Gravely thing. If you do get bitten by the bug you'll find a community similar to the Rover one.
While the Gravely riders are 2wd, they are built to be indestructible. The 800 series or the "professional" G series can be fit with all manner of attachments; mowers, blades, snowblowers, tillers, etc.
Engines vary from ten horse single to twenty horse twin on pretty much the same chassis.
A good 80's vintage 12 horse 800 rider will be 3-600 and usually have the 50 inch belly mower that has hydraulic lift.
The 42 inch snowblower will be around 150-250 depending on condition.
A G model will be several thousand. There are two on eBay with asking prices near 4k.
There are similar aficionados of Cub Cadet, which you can't go wrong with either.
I grew up with a Cub Cadet and I think when I was really young there was a Gravely in the yard and I had some time on a Gravely when landscaping. Great machines. Gravely with a brush hog will level most anything. But watch the terrain those f'ers don't stop for anything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
SNOW...???? what is that you speak of...They make something that allows you to never have to worry about snow on your driveway again...It's called a moving van...85 degrees here today...I actually had to have a blanket on my bed last night......shorts and t-shirt weather today...suckers...
I would go bonkers without the change of seasons. Winter = ice hockey outside under the stars with temps in the low 20's, stacking firewood and keeping the fireplaces going strong all afternoon, getting an early chair after some good accumulation the night before and carving lines and throwing a snow roost 8+ ft. For some weird reason even the 90 feels like it and is thinking: "F' that tarmac shit, give me some loose and slushy snow" BTW, Ft Lauderdale in the summer is going to be amazing.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old January 24th, 2012, 10:24 AM
hillstrubl's Avatar
hillstrubl
Status: Offline
Danny
2005 Disco 3
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philly, USA
Posts: 1,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Danny...when the hell did you move to Philly???
Back in July, haven't missed me at happy hours huh? haha

---

thanks for all the advice, You guys have made some good points, a mower and separate push snow thrower is looking like the best option. If I eventually get a generic plow blade for the mower later so be it.
__________________
~2005 Disco 3 "Moneypenny"
~2008 GTI TSI
~If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you are reading this in English, thank a Veteran.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old January 24th, 2012, 10:30 AM
nathanwind's Avatar
nathanwind
Status: Offline
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Saratoga NY
Posts: 8,741
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstrubl View Post
Back in July, haven't missed me at happy hours huh? haha
Well I was gone until September all summer, then just sort of figured the new location threw the DC folks for a loop - Bobeck hasn't been but once in the last 6 months either. Bummer about the move, but I know Philly gives more bang for the buck!

Have you caught up with Peter Reed and others up there? Peters the guy I bought my 110 from...super nice dude.
__________________
Jason Lavender
'71 Series IIA
'88 127 #F96 DKN
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old January 24th, 2012, 10:32 AM
hillstrubl's Avatar
hillstrubl
Status: Offline
Danny
2005 Disco 3
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philly, USA
Posts: 1,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Well I was gone until September all summer, then just sort of figured the new location threw the DC folks for a loop - Bobeck hasn't been but once in the last 6 months either. Bummer about the move, but I know Philly gives more bang for the buck!

Have you caught up with Peter Reed and others up there? Peters the guy I bought my 110 from...super nice dude.
haha, just giving you sh*t. I met up with the parts ninja for some VW wheel sensors, but thats all the rover guys I've seen so far. I keep seeing a nice LHD IIA 109" parked around town though...
__________________
~2005 Disco 3 "Moneypenny"
~2008 GTI TSI
~If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you are reading this in English, thank a Veteran.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old January 24th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Craigd's Avatar
Craigd
Status: Offline
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Weaverville, NC
Posts: 469
Registry
I have a Sears Craftsman 22.5 hp mower with a snow blade attachment. It also came with a snowblower attachment but I never used it. I just felt it was more fun with the snow blade. I imagine the snow is heavy out east so a little different comparison, but I can use my blade in up to 12" of snow without too much trouble. You will need chains and wheel weights.

Also maneuvering around is harder with a tractor. Depending on how clean you want your driveway to be, a walk behind snow blower may be the way to go. The snow melts pretty fast out here so I just scrape off the top and leave the rest. But overall I don't think a snow blade cleans the surface very well.

My driveway is pretty flat and I can get stuck pretty easy in the deep stuff so if your driveway is steep that is another plus for the walk behind snowblower.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old January 24th, 2012, 04:24 PM
the rover shop
Status: Offline
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: ft lauderdale florida
Posts: 5,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
mate..

PISS OFF

and I would love to see you dealing with the ice ( as we did the last 2 days ) when you come up

LOL
DUDE... I deal with ice every stinking day...when I mix myself a nice cold drink when i get home....
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old January 24th, 2012, 05:07 PM
Roverlab
Status: Offline
Trevor Griffiths
85 110, 92 110, 92 RR, 06 LR3
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Elizabethotwn, PA
Posts: 1,647
I've got a Kubota 2350 with a 4' bucket for the deep stuff but find the Troy bilt 30" thrower (with heated grips!) serves me well. I've got a 150' driveway
__________________
Roverlab is now British 4x4 Specialists.
Email is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Same place, new dogs.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old January 24th, 2012, 08:36 PM
Uncle Douglas's Avatar
Uncle Douglas
Status: Offline
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gods Country- Central Virginia
Posts: 11,835
Registry
see gravely mentioned several times in this thread. I have two walk behinds with sulkys and one has a steering sulky. Don used the right term-beasts. especialy with dual wheels and bar tread tires. They will do most anything but can be rough on the operator. I have snow/dozer blades and never use them. The Gravely tractor yahoo forum is so active I had to unsubscribe.
__________________
Good judgement comes from experience,experience comes from bad judgement.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

410.693.1391


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old January 24th, 2012, 09:24 PM
KKilo23's Avatar
KKilo23
Status: Offline
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Saratoga Springs, NY
Posts: 2,065
Registry
Mower... Exmark. We have a 60" Lazer Z and 36" Walkbehind and they are bulletproof. Weekly that are used to cut our personal/commercial properties and hold up extremely well. Exmark has both commerical and residential equipment priced accordingly. As long as you keep up on the maintenance they will do fine and last forever especially with residential use. Zero Turns are great for big properties...they cut down cutting time from a normal lawn/garden tractor. FYI.. Toro owns Exmark so either route you will be set.

If you go the professional route...find out what the local landscaping/lawn companies use. You will be able to have your equipment serviced easily and parts will be readily available.

Snow removal... Depends on how much snow you are moving. I would recommend a snowblower if you have a standard driveway. They do a better job clearing snow and are easily maneuvered. If you have something bigger...look into a Polaris Ranger (UTV) or the equivalent. You can put a plow on them, haul materials around...add a cab, heat, winch.... options are endless.

We also have a New Holland Boomer Compact tractor with a Diesel Engine/Cab the works. The attachments for this thing are endless. Cabs options have heat, a/c radio etc etc.. but you can drop some serious $$..New Holland has a pretty expansive line of equipment and tractors depending on what your needs are.

Whichever route you decide to go, pay a little more for the professional grade stuff... equipment from the big box stores will serve you well but they won't have the same longevity.

I suggest you take a ride down to your local lawn and garden shop and check out what they have, it may give you a better idea of what you need/want.

Couple links...

http://lawnsite.com is a professional landscape forum with tons of information.

http://exmark.com/Default.aspx

http://agriculture.newholland.com/us.../products.aspx

http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-...mo_RGR_Generic
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old January 25th, 2012, 08:55 AM
the rover shop
Status: Offline
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: ft lauderdale florida
Posts: 5,225
There is always excellent deals on craigslist if you do a search on allofcraigslist dot com...it will search all of your selected state and there is always great bargains if you want to travel a little..
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old January 25th, 2012, 10:55 AM
evilfij's Avatar
evilfij
Status: Offline
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: on the internet
Posts: 14,688
Old cub cadet with the snow blower PTO driven attachment. My dad's has been going for near on 30 years, my uncle's longer than that and they live around Buffalo.
__________________
*not legal advice*
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Snow.... TDI Guy Misc. Chit-Chat 20 February 14th, 2006 08:17 AM
Advice on buying my first D90 mtbrooks Defender Technical Discussions 7 July 19th, 2005 07:48 PM
D90 wgn - Automatic Shifter T- Handle Removal Kimos Defender Technical Discussions 22 January 18th, 2005 07:05 PM
bulkhead removal bar Chris Cox Defender Technical Discussions 0 August 22nd, 2004 12:13 PM
Wheel/Tire setup for snow? PT94D90 Defender Technical Discussions 11 October 16th, 2003 03:42 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:02 PM.


Copyright