Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 25th, 2012, 11:22 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKilo23 View Post
If you go the professional route...find out what the local landscaping/lawn companies use. You will be able to have your equipment serviced easily and parts will be readily available.

Whichever route you decide to go, pay a little more for the professional grade stuff... equipment from the big box stores will serve you well but they won't have the same longevity.

I suggest you take a ride down to your local lawn and garden shop and check out what they have, it may give you a better idea of what you need/want.
Agree - and I should have said it in my post as well.

I have been using the same mom and pop landscaper shop for years. They gave me an account even though I'm a home owner and always do well. Things break, so they are pretty if something happens. Plus they have taught me a few things over the years (like not to swtich fuel caps between a backpack blower and hedge trimmers). Try going back to a big box with a 3 year old snowblower to get serviced. Heck, my guys will send a truck/trailer to pick up my Bobcat rider for it's spring service. Or the time I wanted to sell my walker. They didn't have a trade in policy but sure enough within a day I had it sold to a local guy due to them "spreading the word".

If the local shop has been in business for a while, they'll know what works and what doesn't.

------ Follow up post added January 25th, 2012 11:30 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
see gravely mentioned several times in this thread. I have two walk behinds with sulkys and one has a steering sulky. Don used the right term-beasts. especialy with dual wheels and bar tread tires. They will do most anything but can be rough on the operator. I have snow/dozer blades and never use them. The Gravely tractor yahoo forum is so active I had to unsubscribe.
When I was landscaping during college - my boss would offer us extra hours to do maintenance on his property. I had the Gravely brush hog out after work one day cutting the rows between his Xmas trees. Sure enough I "found" a hole where a tree had been taken out but the tall grass hid it. One of the wheels dropped in and I got a bar with controls jab right into my thigh. Still hurts thinking about it. Surprised the shit out of me and that was when I was cutting lawns behind a Bobcat walker all day/ever day (granted the Bobcat is a lighter duty machine...). And that Gravely wanted to keep going. Like you said, rough on the operator - you'll need to have your stuff together before getting behind one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 25th, 2012, 05:10 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
When I was landscaping during college - my boss would offer us extra hours to do maintenance on his property. I had the Gravely brush hog out after work one day cutting the rows between his Xmas trees. Sure enough I "found" a hole where a tree had been taken out but the tall grass hid it. One of the wheels dropped in and I got a bar with controls jab right into my thigh. Still hurts thinking about it. Surprised the shit out of me and that was when I was cutting lawns behind a Bobcat walker all day/ever day (granted the Bobcat is a lighter duty machine...). And that Gravely wanted to keep going. Like you said, rough on the operator - you'll need to have your stuff together before getting behind one.
I upgraded both of mine to dual tires with tractor type bar tread. It makes it so the damn things will cut accross on a 45+ slope. I have two of the commercial 40 inch mower decks for them as well as the bush hogs that will litterally eat bricks. The kids dread them. The john deere hydrostatic with cruise control,comfy seat, and cup holder gets a lot more playing time.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 25th, 2012, 05:34 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
..as the bush hogs that will litterally eat bricks.
LOL

Quote:
The kids dread them.
Yup, but they should thank you. Operating those machine will make them tough and teach them a thing or 2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 25th, 2012, 06:22 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
I now mow with the Kioti tractor and my 3 point Woods RM 60. Air conditioned cab.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old January 25th, 2012, 07:02 PM
Peter
Peter
1997 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Danny...when the hell did you move to Philly???

Peter...see you picked up a '95 90 from your profile, nice man - who's was it?
I picked up a stock AA yellow D90 from a friend of a friend.
Old January 25th, 2012, 07:07 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
I picked up a stock AA yellow D90 from a friend of a friend.
Welcome back to the fold Peter!
Old January 26th, 2012, 12:09 AM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKilo23 View Post
I suggest you take a ride down to your local lawn and garden shop and check out what they have, it may give you a better idea of what you need/want.

Couple links...

http://lawnsite.com is a professional landscape forum with tons of information.

http://exmark.com/Default.aspx

http://agriculture.newholland.com/us.../products.aspx

http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-...mo_RGR_Generic
Will definitely do this weekend. Thanks very much for the tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
There is always excellent deals on craigslist if you do a search on allofcraigslist dot com...it will search all of your selected state and there is always great bargains if you want to travel a little..
Good idea, I don't mind traveling a bit
Old January 26th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
DUDE... I deal with ice every stinking day...when I mix myself a nice cold drink when i get home....
I think you deal with this kind of ice everyday... LMAO

Old January 26th, 2012, 02:32 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Gustavo.... That freaking hurts man... I thought we had something going there for a while... totally hurt...distraught, belittled, upset, etc etc etc..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat