Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 22nd, 2016, 10:54 AM
jjstahl3
Jay S
96 D1 TReK

Registry
Moving to Portland, OR

Looks like my wife accepted a job in Portland, OR yesterday so we will be moving prior to July this year if everything goes as planned, selling the house, finding a new one etc. and wonder if I should drive the rover or ship it? We have 4 cars and I think we will sell one and ones electric so might turn that lease in early. Whats the consensus on best rover shops up there? best places to live with kids? etc? best places to work for a graphic designer?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BUY SOME HATS --->

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 22nd, 2016, 10:58 AM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Welcome! As far as shops, there are several good ones, it really depends on what Rover you want worked on. I'll get back to you later as I'm on the road now.

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Old March 22nd, 2016, 11:50 AM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjstahl3 View Post
Looks like my wife accepted a job in Portland, OR yesterday so we will be moving prior to July this year if everything goes as planned, selling the house, finding a new one etc. and wonder if I should drive the rover or ship it? We have 4 cars and I think we will sell one and ones electric so might turn that lease in early. Whats the consensus on best rover shops up there? best places to live with kids? etc? best places to work for a graphic designer?
Awesome news!!!!

PDX crew is friendly and active, drive the rover up for a scouting trip - leave the truck with someone in Portland and fly home for the move...

Ships Mechanical for Rover fixin' in Portland.

Be sure to come up and visit once you get settled in - we are only a couple hours from Portland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 22nd, 2016, 12:05 PM
K9Phil
Phil
1994 D-90 #1184

Like he said, Doug at Ship's Mechanical for Rover fixin. Look me up if you're ever in Hood River.
Old March 22nd, 2016, 02:26 PM
Ron Mexico
Ryan
LR3

1. the real estate market here is still relatively tight, especially in the areas with better schools...i'd start looking now if it were me. be ready to move fast, and lots of times things sell at/above asking. if you need a realtor, i know a few that are very good i'd be happy to recommend.

2. traffic sucks. watch out for bicyclists. you are now a second class citizen on the city roads.

3. +1 on Ship's. also consider the Pacific Coast Rover Club.

4. i hope you like beer.

if you have anything more specific in mind feel free to shoot me a message, i've lived here my whole life...
Old March 22nd, 2016, 04:05 PM
Hache
Henry Lambert
1983 Ex-MOD 90 2.5N/A

Loads of places to work as a graphic designer - NIKE, adidas, UA etc then all the ad/design shops: W+K, Instrument, Swift, RGA, AKQA etc etc.

Ships for the 90.

Columbia Roving for the LR3
Old March 22nd, 2016, 05:10 PM
SLO Hybrid
Nathan Harrison
95 25th RRC/94 LWB /04 L322/87 RRC

Keen sandals also!

I love Portland but was warned about the Rain... good luck man!
Old March 22nd, 2016, 05:34 PM
tpond
Toby Pond

Welcome! We have a thriving, and diverse car scene, and some great places to explore right outside our door!

We started a little group that meets up once a month at the Ecliptic Brewery on Mississippi Ave. It is not Rover specific, but I encourage you to come out to meet everyone anyway. We will be planning some trips into the local hinterlands soon, and it will help you get the lay of the land. https://www.facebook.com/PNWEuro4x4/?fref=nf

Toby
Old March 22nd, 2016, 07:42 PM
boswalt
Brian Oswalt
1988 exmod 110

Registry
Oregon has state income tax and Washington does not. Not sure if that's an issue for you but some choose to live in WA and work in OR.

Lots of hippies in the city but cross the river and folks won't bitch about your micro aggressions.....whatever those are.
Old March 22nd, 2016, 10:20 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
As others have said, Ship's Mechanical near the airport. Doug will work on the LR3, but only when he has the time. Both Ship's and Columbia Rovers are good guys that I know personally.

The local club is active, and has started a bit of a reform to get more modernized. Good people. Lots of knowledge.

Portland area is a good place to live, but expensive compared to many other parts of the country. If you really are going to live in Portland itself, I highly recommend going through the various episodes of the documentary "Portlandia" to get a good feel for the way things are.

I love the city, but moved out to save on taxes and to raise kids. Ask any questions!

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Old March 22nd, 2016, 10:48 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBailey View Post
If you really are going to live in Portland itself, I highly recommend going through the various episodes of the documentary "Portlandia" to get a good feel for the way things are.
X2! Lol

I haven't been to Ship's, but I know he's the boss in town for our older rigs. However, Columbia Roving has been good to me and is conveniently located directly down hill, and within rolling distance, from my place there. This has been extremely useful on more than one occasion! ;-)
Old March 22nd, 2016, 11:09 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

I was born in Portland and lived in Oregon my whole life too, except for a little while in Vancouver when I was a kid. I remember my dad still had to pay Oregon income tax when we lived in WA. A lot of people do live in Vancouver or Camas and commute across the river, but I strongly advise against that because traffic to and from there is horrible. Real estate is going up there too anyways. A house I think is kind of a dump across the street from my Grandmother's in Vancouver was just listed for $400k. I think it probably sold fast in a bidding war. Ideally find a place as close to work as possible, but of course real estate and rent go up exponentially the closer you get to downtown. There are lots of nice areas. Damascus and Happy Valley area is pretty nice just on the SE edge of the city. Oregon City and West Linn are pretty nice too. Closer in Sellwood and the area around Reed College is nice. Any of the areas on the close eastside and the west hills are nice too, but of course expensive. I think you'll get used to the rain. We call it liquid sunshine. Makes everything green and beautiful. And it's not actually that much, not compared to the coast. We lived in Seaside and we got 100" of rain a year. Portland gets like 30-40". I think it's the best climate actually.
Old March 22nd, 2016, 11:35 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
I heard the dream of the 90s is alive in Portland.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old March 22nd, 2016, 11:45 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post

My apologies! I couldn't resist ;-)
Old March 22nd, 2016, 11:46 PM
Ron Mexico
Ryan
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
It's where young people come to retire.

Also, get used to waiting in line for breakfast at any restaurant worth a damn.
Old March 23rd, 2016, 12:11 AM
SonnyAK
Sonny
1993 NAS 110

Registry
Own any Class III firearms? Not a super gun friendly state. Beautiful place with great beer...and Portland has lots of grungy street kids!
Old March 23rd, 2016, 01:59 AM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

"Portland is a city where young people go to retire." lol
Old March 23rd, 2016, 02:36 AM
Ron Mexico
Ryan
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyAK View Post
Own any Class III firearms? Not a super gun friendly state.
NFA items are LEGAL in Oregon, provided all applicable laws are followed. Edit: even in ultra-liberal Lane County and the City of Portland.
Old March 23rd, 2016, 11:58 AM
east high
Gerad Davis
1967/s2a 88

Ship's has been covered already, so I'll chime in on the rest.

Real estate in Portland, especially inner SE, is ridiculous. Honestly, if have a car habit and kids I'd strongly recommend looking outside of Portland proper. Oregon City, West Lynn, Bethany...

People like to joke about Portlandia, but horse died like 5 years ago. In reality Portland's a burgeoning tech hub attracting young creatives who are driving up the cost of living.
Old March 23rd, 2016, 12:07 PM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
Clear Creek Distillery. Have to check it out when they do tours.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
vin