Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 24th, 2015, 06:29 PM
gavin.
Gav
V8 County Ninety

Registry
Moving to CA

Some of you may be aware that I'm a Brit is Washington, DC. Well, today I got the call to say that instead of going back home to blighty in 2018, I'm going to be moving to sunny California until 2020.

Well, as you can imagine, I protested long and hard about such hardship , but finally I had my arm twisted.

So.

I have a 1990 Ninety V8.

What the f**king hell am I going to do with that? Is it even plausible that I take it with me? If I do, would I have to sell it to someone out-of-state when I leave?

I know these questions have been asked a lot with respect to importing directly to CA, but I've not seen anything about *moving* to CA.

Can anyone help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 24th, 2015, 06:41 PM
psykokid
Jake
1997 Disco

If you can keep it registered in VA for a while it should be able to do an EFI swap from an 1990 RRC and be able to get it registered in CA.

Since it's already landed stateside and registered in another state that clears a lot of the hurdles.

Where are they sending you? LA or SF?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 24th, 2015, 06:54 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

How long has it been here?

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 24th, 2015, 07:46 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
This is one of two key bits of data missing from your question…

How long will it have been registered in VA before you have to register it in CA?

If at least 2 years and >7K miles in VA from import, CA should not pose issues (assuming you have copies of your EPA and DOT exemption paperwork)
Old July 24th, 2015, 07:59 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
2020 ... is 5 years off.

-Jeff
"until 2020" read this as he is going to be living in CA through the year 2020...
Old July 24th, 2015, 08:15 PM
gavin.
Gav
V8 County Ninety

Registry
Quote:
A V8 is going to be much easier than a diesel. If you are carburated, it will he a bit more difficult, but still doable.

Where at in the Яepublik? Being that it is 1/2 of the west coast one area can be very different than another.

-Jeff
It's running stock carbs on a 3.5. The engine is so strong, I wouldn't want to rip it out for a 3.9, but I could do an EFI swap.

We're going to be going to Edwards AFB, about an hour from LA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psykokid View Post
If you can keep it registered in VA for a while it should be able to do an EFI swap from an 1990 RRC and be able to get it registered in CA.

Since it's already landed stateside and registered in another state that clears a lot of the hurdles.

Where are they sending you? LA or SF?
We're not going to be moving until late 2017, early 2018 so still loads of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
I've had it here since we moved 3 months ago, but it will have been in the country 2 and half years-ish when we move.

------ Follow up post added July 24th, 2015 08:20 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybluett View Post
This is one of two key bits of data missing from your question…

How long will it have been registered in VA before you have to register it in CA?

If at least 2 years and >7K miles in VA from import, CA should not pose issues (assuming you have copies of your EPA and DOT exemption paperwork)
Q1: 2.5 years

Exemption paperwork... It wouldn't have got registered unless is was exempt?

Quote:
2020 ... is 5 years off.

-Jeff
That's when we'll leave CA.

Quote:
"until 2020" read this as he is going to be living in CA through the year 2020...
Correct 2018 to 2020

Quote:
Ahhh, good point, but 2018 is still 3 yrs out (well 2-1/2)

-Jeff
Yup.
Old July 24th, 2015, 08:21 PM
psykokid
Jake
1997 Disco

Looks like you will be fine then.. You could try to get it smogged using carbs, but you'd probably just get sent to the referee since no rovers came stock in the US with carbs.

If you get it titled in CA and then swap the EFI from a 90 RRC onto your 3.5 you shouldnt run into any problems, worst case scenario is that you would have to go see the referee anyhow and get the EFI swap checked out as an "engine change" where you would get a snazzy carb label. That would make it really easy to sell in CA when you were shipped back home since it would be legit and cleared by the smog referee.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 24th, 2015, 08:24 PM
gavin.
Gav
V8 County Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by psykokid View Post
Looks like you will be fine then.. You could try to get it smogged using carbs, but you'd probably just get sent to the referee since no rovers came stock in the US with carbs.

If you get it titled in CA and then swap the EFI from a 90 RRC onto your 3.5 you shouldnt run into any problems, worst case scenario is that you would have to go see the referee anyhow and get the EFI swap checked out as an "engine change" where you would get a snazzy carb label. That would make it really easy to sell in CA when you were shipped back home since it would be legit and cleared by the smog referee.
This sounds more optimistic than I was expecting.
Old July 24th, 2015, 08:41 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin. View Post
Q1: 2.5 years

Exemption paperwork... It wouldn't have got registered unless is was exempt?
Never try to apply logic to the California DMV…

We suggest for ALL imported vehicle owners to keep copies of the exemptions - provide them when selling, when registering, when moving, etc…

No modifications should be needed - CA will treat as any other vintage 50 state legal vehicle - a referee may be needed to confirm the exemption (paperwork helps) but you should have no issues registering the truck in CA under the current interpretation of the laws.
Old July 24th, 2015, 08:50 PM
3rovers
Dennis Yard
1993 NAS D-110 #55

Couple of items of note:
1. Shipping truck cross country with a reputable transporter will run from $1,200 to $1,600. Not terribly bad when you consider the cost of fuel. California gas (87 octane) is currently running over $4.10 here in San Diego. Outside CA its running considerably cheaper, but driving it here would be expensive. Gas price will go down in the fall, supposedly, when the refineries switch off the special summer blend demanded by CARB, EPA, etc.

2. Edwards AFB is relatively close to the LA basin where there is the Southern California Land Rover Club. Google SCLR to get details. They are quite active and helpful.

3. Edwards area is hotter than blazes during summer, but quite close to Death Valley and lots of fascinating off road locations for late Fall, Winter and early Spring exploration.
1993 NAS D-110 #55 (GNUTRUK)
2004 Disco II (DSCO DOG)
Old July 24th, 2015, 09:06 PM
gavin.
Gav
V8 County Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rovers View Post
Couple of items of note:
1. Shipping truck cross country with a reputable transporter will run from $1,200 to $1,600. Not terribly bad when you consider the cost of fuel. California gas (87 octane) is currently running over $4.10 here in San Diego. Outside CA its running considerably cheaper, but driving it here would be expensive. Gas price will go down in the fall, supposedly, when the refineries switch off the special summer blend demanded by CARB, EPA, etc.

2. Edwards AFB is relatively close to the LA basin where there is the Southern California Land Rover Club. Google SCLR to get details. They are quite active and helpful.

3. Edwards area is hotter than blazes during summer, but quite close to Death Valley and lots of fascinating off road locations for late Fall, Winter and early Spring exploration.
I've not thought about shipping yet. It seems like the perfect chance for a road trip between jobs. But, man that's going to be hard work!

Thanks for the pointer on SCLR. I'll look them up.

Heat. Yes. I'll be installing electric fans at the minimum!
Old July 24th, 2015, 09:20 PM
gavin.
Gav
V8 County Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Never try to apply logic to the California DMV…

We suggest for ALL imported vehicle owners to keep copies of the exemptions - provide them when selling, when registering, when moving, etc…

No modifications should be needed - CA will treat as any other vintage 50 state legal vehicle - a referee may be needed to confirm the exemption (paperwork helps) but you should have no issues registering the truck in CA under the current interpretation of the laws.
Just looked and thankfully have all I need on this. That's a relief.
Old July 24th, 2015, 11:33 PM
psykokid
Jake
1997 Disco

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rovers View Post
Hi Guilty as charged..

VVVVV

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
vin