Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 29th, 2015, 01:35 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Theft has been the only thing that still bothers me, but that can happen anywhere. Two things are certain, I'll have a garage, and where I'll be working is secure. The truck will be insured for agreed value, so now I need some easy, clever, visual, anti-theft ideas. Thinking of chaining the steering wheel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 29th, 2015, 01:42 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
It's all theft of opportunity in Hawaii. Fuel cutoff or keyed battery switch should be sufficient. Thieves there are usually ice heads and not too smart. Are the windows tinted? Probably better that they can see that there is nothing inside to take. Maybe a nice little window decal that says "vehicle owned and protected by the U.S. military. Touch it and they'll never find you!"
Old March 29th, 2015, 01:50 PM
drdread
AL
'94 NAS 90 SW

Registry
Lol. Can we make those stickers?? I will def get a bunch. Hooooah!
Advertisement

Old March 29th, 2015, 01:50 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D90Overkill View Post
It's all theft of opportunity in Hawaii. Fuel cutoff or keyed battery switch should be sufficient. Thieves there are usually ice heads and not too smart. Are the windows tinted? Probably better that they can see that there is nothing inside to take. Maybe a nice little window decal that says "vehicle owned and protected by the U.S. military. Touch it and they'll never find you!"
I agree. Definitely opportunity based. So I'll have a hidden/keyed battery kill switch so it won't start, then something as a visual backup to just in case.

Tint is in the plan.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old March 29th, 2015, 02:13 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Should be good!

------ Follow up post added March 29th, 2015 11:16 AM ------
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdread View Post
Lol. Can we make those stickers?? I will def get a bunch. Hooooah!
I know, right? Unless your a squid, then I think I'd like " Vehicle owned and protected by the U.S. Navy. Keep back! It's a big ocean and they'll never find you."
Old March 29th, 2015, 02:44 PM
GunnyUSMC
Eric
1991 Defender 90 200TDI

Registry
Over here in the UK, they have these metal boxes that lock around the pedals. Can't move it, can't steal it. Well, unless they have a tow truck.... Also, if you live on base, theft is not a problem. Most thefts are middle of the night deals.
Old March 29th, 2015, 03:55 PM
Kevin88RRC
Kevin Keith
1988 RRC

There's a great option in the for sale section right now…
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...rap-61033.html
Old March 29th, 2015, 04:27 PM
drdread
AL
'94 NAS 90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin88RRC View Post
There's a great option in the for sale section right now…
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...rap-61033.html
LOL

I was just looking at that & thinking that'd hurt someone big time.
Old March 29th, 2015, 04:45 PM
GunnyUSMC
Eric
1991 Defender 90 200TDI

Registry
Here is that box I was talking about, I am sure that you could fab something up like it.

The Safe T Pedal was designed around a vehicle we built, we realised that there was a lack of mechanical security devices on the market at the time. This realisation was the spark needed to create The Safe T Pedal, a mechanical anti-theft device aimed at the idea of preventing access to the pedal area on the vehicle!

The Safe T Pedal works by securing round the brake pedal & preventing access to any of the pedals, its CAD designed & pressed out of 4mm high grade steel sheet, the average weight of a Safe T Pedal is between 3kg and 6kg.

The Safe T Pedal is fitted in seconds giving piece of mind whilst your vehicle is unattended. All of our Safe T Pedals are available in a choice of colours & also come with a window sticker showing your vehicle is protected !

Watch The SAFE T PEDAL in Action

Shire Fabrications

Old March 29th, 2015, 05:37 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Pretty cool product. I use a cable lock around my E-brake to the w bar behind my seat. It's just for the rare occasions I park on a hill. My 90 is a ST and usually wide open and I don't want some young snot pulling the brake to see where my truck ends up. It's not theft proof like this product, but just peace of mind against an opportunistic vandal/hoodlum/punk. I guess I wouldn't mind too much if they were run over in the process, but I'd rather not deal with the mess.
Old March 30th, 2015, 03:46 PM
Landyman1
Landyman
1983 land rover 110 county

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
Theft has been the only thing that still bothers me, but that can happen anywhere. Two things are certain, I'll have a garage, and where I'll be working is secure. The truck will be insured for agreed value, so now I need some easy, clever, visual, anti-theft ideas. Thinking of chaining the steering wheel.
look at the thread, Defending Your Defender. I had been worried about theft problems as well so I started that thread to get some ideas. Just my $0.02

------ Follow up post added March 30th, 2015 01:47 PM ------

Oh. Also, get a fake blinking red light to put on the dash. It might fool some people that you actually have a security/alarm system on your truck.
Old March 30th, 2015, 03:55 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Is there a motive on the it will get stolen camp? Do they want to buy Wolf's truck for themselves?

Must be a conspiracy out there somewhere....

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old March 30th, 2015, 04:13 PM
Landyman1
Landyman
1983 land rover 110 county

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Is there a motive on the it will get stolen camp? Do they want to buy Wolf's truck for themselves? Must be a conspiracy out there somewhere....
the government! Wait a minute....
Old March 30th, 2015, 05:17 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
Put a removable steering wheel boss on and take the wheel with you.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old March 30th, 2015, 06:50 PM
drdread
AL
'94 NAS 90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landyman1 View Post
look at the thread, Defending Your Defender. I had been worried about theft problems as well so I started that thread to get some ideas. Just my $0.02

------ Follow up post added March 30th, 2015 01:47 PM ------

Oh. Also, get a fake blinking red light to put on the dash. It might fool some people that you actually have a security/alarm system on your truck.
or get a real alarm system that goes for <$100 and actually will make some noise and possibly deter some.... just saying, they're real cheap nowadays and you might as well get something that has some function.
Old March 30th, 2015, 07:03 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

My sis has lived on Oahu for more than ten years now and has had her fair share of theft. No automobiles but several motorcycles and scooters. They have never been driven away, always loaded on trucks or trailers. The thefts were usually late at night and when she was living downtown Waikiki. She didn't have a garage, just a well lit parking area and carport. All of the times the thieves were reported and caught quickly (within a few hours) because of the racket they made and her friendly and watchful neighbors. The last time no one heard anything but the thieves were stopped by police officers who thought a motorcycle in the bed of a truck at 3am was odd. That's the good part about living on such a small island with plenty of officers. From that I would say do all your preventatives but also park so it would be difficult for anyone to get close with a trailer. She has since moved to a more rural area and has had no problems so far. You may also want to ask local law enforcement for their input... I'm sure they've seen it all.
Old March 30th, 2015, 08:22 PM
kevincdoyle
Kevin C. Doyle
1995 NAS D90 Coniston Green SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfritz_03 View Post
My sis has lived on Oahu for more than ten years now and has had her fair share of theft. No automobiles but several motorcycles and scooters. They have never been driven away, always loaded on trucks or trailers. The thefts were usually late at night and when she was living downtown Waikiki. She didn't have a garage, just a well lit parking area and carport. All of the times the thieves were reported and caught quickly (within a few hours) because of the racket they made and her friendly and watchful neighbors. The last time no one heard anything but the thieves were stopped by police officers who thought a motorcycle in the bed of a truck at 3am was odd. That's the good part about living on such a small island with plenty of officers. From that I would say do all your preventatives but also park so it would be difficult for anyone to get close with a trailer. She has since moved to a more rural area and has had no problems so far. You may also want to ask local law enforcement for their input... I'm sure they've seen it all.
This is such bullshit and prolly Obama's fault. It is just outrageous the number of scumbags who feel "entitled" today. 6 years and certainly fundamentally changed America..

"I actually like to paint some of my smaller parts......"
Old March 30th, 2015, 09:38 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

It's a beautiful and fun place. If you like being outside... it's heaven. You can island hop if you want to stretch your legs. 3 years is perfect..whenever we go visit we stay for at least 2 weeks or more.
Old March 31st, 2015, 08:14 PM
popeohana
Jeremy
94 Arles ST

Registry
I lived on Oahu for over 7 years, daily drove my 90 for 5 of them. I never had the top on or windows in and don't have a theft deterrent system. I didn't worry much about theft. What is a local kid going to do with a Land Rover Defender, chop it for parts? Who would he sell them to? I would have worried a lot more if I drove a Honda Civic.
Old April 1st, 2015, 07:29 AM
drdread
AL
'94 NAS 90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnyUSMC View Post
Here is that box I was talking about, I am sure that you could fab something up like it.

The Safe T Pedal was designed around a vehicle we built, we realised that there was a lack of mechanical security devices on the market at the time. This realisation was the spark needed to create The Safe T Pedal, a mechanical anti-theft device aimed at the idea of preventing access to the pedal area on the vehicle!

The Safe T Pedal works by securing round the brake pedal & preventing access to any of the pedals, its CAD designed & pressed out of 4mm high grade steel sheet, the average weight of a Safe T Pedal is between 3kg and 6kg.

The Safe T Pedal is fitted in seconds giving piece of mind whilst your vehicle is unattended. All of our Safe T Pedals are available in a choice of colours & also come with a window sticker showing your vehicle is protected !

Watch The SAFE T PEDAL in Action

Shire Fabrications
For anyone interested I contacted the guy in the UK and he'd be willing to do a slight discount. See my post in the parts for sale thread.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
vin