Moving Dilemma - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 24th, 2015, 10:17 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

ship it and drive it, why are we even debating this lol.

Shayne it's a Rover it would rust in a climate controlled vacuum.

Unknown Author

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 24th, 2015, 10:31 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
You, the tax payer, pays to ship my truck from FL to HI.
I'm happy to support you and pay my share so you can post pictures of your new truck in the glorious sunshine of HI, while we suffer the never ending snow, cold and misery of winter (and Spring and Summer)

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old March 25th, 2015, 09:41 AM
vasily
Vasily
97 D90 SW

Registry
This was the best thread in a while.

1. Thank you for your service.
2. Ship the Defender to Hawaii.
3. Enjoy the sh!t out of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 25th, 2015, 11:19 AM
jrose609
Jason Rose
1983 110 County 200tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasily View Post
This was the best thread in a while.

1. Thank you for your service.
2. Ship the Defender to Hawaii.
3. Enjoy the sh!t out of it.

^^This
Old March 25th, 2015, 11:21 AM
Roverenvy
Michael
1994 Defender 90

Registry
You're asking the wrong question. Not should I take it.....but is it too late to make my 110 a convertible and is it worth it? Life's too short. You've already corrected the major design flaws / rust areas. (Stainless, galvy, etc etc.) No truck is built to last for forever....so what if you shave a few years off before a little more preventative maintenance. I thank you for your service to our country, and I advise you this isn't a sacrifice you have to make. Welcome home, and congrats on the command! (I won't ask, but will just assume its bad ass.)
Old March 25th, 2015, 11:23 AM
aloharover
Peter
1970 Series IIa 105

There will not be any more issues in HI than in Fla.
However....

The wheeling opportunities on Oahu are extremely limited.
After 911 they shut down POV access to North Range, Peacock Flats, and the training areas in the Kahuku's.
I don't know if that had changed.
There used to be trails up the mountain behind the NSA and NCTAMS facilities in Wahiwa and out behind Dole. I have no idea if those areas have also been chained off.

When I was back there 2012/13 the beach access at Sand Beach and around Dillingham was all chained off.

You still had driving around Ka'ena point. Which is basically a very rough old road with a couple of mud holes that people play in.

You can also put the truck on a barge and send over to the Big Island and spend a week wheeling and camping.

There is an annual British car show at Diamond Head. I know there are still a couple of Series trucks on Oahu.
Old March 25th, 2015, 11:25 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Have Keith email a few photos of an ECR build after three years on Nantucket. Once that cancer starts ...
Old March 25th, 2015, 11:30 AM
aloharover
Peter
1970 Series IIa 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90Overkill View Post
Hawaiian state regs are just a fast and loose racket. Plenty of veggie burning hippies there. Safety stickers are issued from licensed garages. That's it. My guy there used to not even inspect it, but rather ask, " did you drive it here? Well then it must be safe!" ;-) Well, that's Maui. Oahu could be a different animal as HNL is the 8th largest city in the U.S. So they may have different rules just the way Portland, Oregon has smog regs and Eugene doesn't.
He will also be able to get the state inspection done on base at the auto hobby shop. The guys at Hickham were pretty easy going on my 1970. I purchased it on Oahu (thus my screen name) so it was registered there.

My wife shipped her truck from the mainland and it kept it's VA registration the whole three years. Sometimes in the military you can get away with keeping your HOR drivers license and registration.
Old March 25th, 2015, 07:27 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Sounds like an overwhelming consensus for taking the truck to HI. The only detractor was the Aussie from FL, but no one values his opinion anyway.

The truck isn't registered in any state yet. Hoping to register in FL prior to moving it HI.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old March 25th, 2015, 07:28 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Old March 25th, 2015, 07:38 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
With your new credentials, I'm pretty sure chains and gates won't be a problem! ;-) Enjoy!

Thank you for your service and welcome home to the noncon U.S.
Old March 26th, 2015, 08:26 PM
cwilder
Chad
2012 110 Black

Registry
I spent a year in Oahu, several defenders on the island. Take it. I took my Shelby and kept her clean. zero issues. do you know where you will be stationed? Kaneohe is gets a lot of rain compared to Pearl Harbour. So depends where you live on Island. One part of the island can feel like a rain forest and one side can be dry.
1997 D-90 #1867 (sold) :(
2012 Black 110 :) In OZ still
2011 LR4 "Metropolis" (sold) :(
2011 Raptor F150 SVT (sold) :(
2007 Shelby GT500 (sold)
2007 LR3 (sold)
2006 RRS (sold)
Old March 29th, 2015, 03:30 AM
GunnyUSMC
Eric
1991 Defender 90 200TDI

Registry
I was stationed at K-bay from 09-11 and retired from there. A few points for you:

1. Take it. I shipped my Jeep from Charleston, SC and it took 6-8 weeks. It was very easy.
2. Hawaii safety inspection can be a pain in the ass. Make sure that your tires don't extend past the fender flares. Your not Hawaiian and they will fail you for it. I had a set of smaller tires for my Jeep that I put on to pass safety and swapped back over afterwards.
3. I think its been mentioned but there is not a whole lot of places to go 4 wheeling anymore.
4. There is a vehicle theft problem in Hawaii, be aware of that.
5. As far as Wolf Fabrication, I had a motorcycle shop that I ran out of storage place in Waipahu. I paid $700 rent and still know the guy that runs it. it was like 12-14' wide by 40'. I can put you in contact if need be. I think that there would be a need for your products there, but being a CO your not going to have alot of time for that!

If you have any questions that I can answer, let me know.

Semper Fi,

Eric
Old March 29th, 2015, 07:12 AM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
I thought hard about shipping my LR3 to the UAE, and now after having it there for the past six months I can't believe I considered not taking it. Not the same in some lights but similar enough-always good for the soul to put your hands on something you have invested so much in. Afterall, if you sold it-what would you be hatching up next? We already have one Tony Brooks-you should take it!

Oh, and congrats on the next duty station. I feel certain I am somehow going to end up back at Lejeune for round IV after this gig.
Old March 29th, 2015, 08:48 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I vote NO, I think you should store it in my garage in Atlanta GA...

Old March 29th, 2015, 08:55 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90 View Post
I vote NO, I think you should store it in my garage in Atlanta GA...
You don't have room...I have an arid secluded location for him to store it should it come to that!
Old March 29th, 2015, 09:02 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
You don't have room...I have an arid secluded location for him to store it should it come to that!
'Cause that worked so well for you in the past?

Old March 29th, 2015, 09:50 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
The only detractor was the Aussie from FL, but no one values his opinion anyway.
Signature line material

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old March 29th, 2015, 11:03 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
X2 on the theft issue. It's kind of a ridiculous issue considering "where ya gonna go?" But it still happens. Mostly to lifted 4x4 and import tuners. My friend had his CJ7 stolen during the day, mid-morning actually, while he was out paddling with his canoe club. After a few weeks of telling the story, a friend of a friend of a friend asked him if he could get it back, would he want to? They made a few calls and then later told him that he would be contacted. I'm not sure what had actually happened, but it seemed that in Hawaii, they look after their own as he was told to meet in a cane field at four in the morning with $1000 cash. And who was there to receive the cash and point him in the Direction of his Jeep? The police. Oh yeah, there is a serious corruption problem on Maui. I'm not sure about Oahu, but I can't imagine it being any better. Hawaii is essentially a beautifully Third World country owned by the United States. Just keep it in the back of you mind.
Old March 29th, 2015, 01:19 PM
Rover Lover
Ron Dade
97/D90 Soft Top

Congrats on the command billet, Jonathan! Command is a blast, although you have to remind yourself from time to time. Absolutely feel you should take the truck and enjoy it. Hey, Magnum didn't seem to have trouble with his 308 GTSi and it didn't have all the good stuff protecting it you'll have. Just keep up with waxing it and touch up chips as they happen. Maybe dob some grease on the hardware underneath. All will be well as long as you don't storm the beach from a landing craft! Of course, you'll need to get back here to inspect/accept from Stephen and get it registered. Let me know if you need help.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
vin