Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 29th, 2013, 09:38 PM
KKilo23
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew

Registry
Mountain Bike Forums?

Anyone know a good mountain bike/riding forum?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 29th, 2013, 09:45 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKilo23 View Post
Anyone know a good mountain bike/riding forum?
There are number of them depending on what you are looking for. I hang out at pinkbike.com and mtbr.com the most
Old March 29th, 2013, 09:58 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefhuf View Post

There are number of them depending on what you are looking for. I hang out at pinkbike.com and mtbr.com the most
I am on both of them as well. If you want local go to socalmtb.com.

If you want to ride let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 29th, 2013, 10:02 PM
KKilo23
Kenny

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefhuf View Post
Nice, Thanks I will take a look.

Looking at getting a All Mountain Full Suspension bike.. too many options out there. I have always rode Trek bikes.

------ Follow up post added March 29th, 2013 07:03 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
I am on both of them as well. If you want local go to socalmtb.com.

If you want to ride let me know.
Thanks Barry... any good shops you can recommend?
Old March 29th, 2013, 10:36 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Pinkbike and MTBR, i end up buying a lot of used stuff off of Pinkbike, its the place to go to find used bike stuff.
Old March 29th, 2013, 11:52 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Like others have said pinkbike and mtbr. I stop by ridemonkey and a local NJ forum as well so Barry's socalmtb site is a good call. You get local trail intel as well as what kind of bikes people ride in the area and stuff like good bike shop and rides/events.

Maybe add Vitalmtb to the list but I don't think their forums get a lot of action.

I am actually getting most of my ride fix/info from Instagram lately.
Old March 30th, 2013, 01:47 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

As for shops in the area I don't really have a favorite that is local. Right now I actually have been pretty happy with Jenson the mail order company. They have a location in Corona which is far as shit but they were super helpful when my bike was creaking and the only shop that figured out I cracked the frame.

For what it's worth if I was to buy a all mountain bike right now I would get a 650c wheel bike. With that said I would get a Rocky Mountain instinct. The reviews are awesome, the geometry is adjustable and the travel is 140mm front and rear. There will be lots of people chiming in how 26 inch wheels are the only thing worth a damn and everything else is a fad but I call bullshit and I say the haters have never tried anything else. I spent 15 plus years on every kind of 26 inch bike there is and just the last year on a 29er and I will say there is no way I would ever go back. The 29er is faster on every trail I have ever been on. It climbs better and for me is just more enjoyable. From what I see of the 650c bikes it gives you the best of 26 and 29 when you want an all mountain bike. Rocky Mountain is known for all mountain bikes and they believe in it enough to have dropped the 26 inch wheel from their line up.

I'm on a element which has super short chain stays so it climbs well and is easy to flick around. I'm not trying to sound like a Rocky Mountain infomercial but after two treks, two turners and various other crap I've never been happier.

Oh and I agree about Instagram. Between that and tumblr there is no better time waster.
Old March 30th, 2013, 06:08 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
As for shops in the area I don't really have a favorite that is local. Right now I actually have been pretty happy with Jenson the mail order company. They have a location in Corona which is far as shit but they were super helpful when my bike was creaking and the only shop that figured out I cracked the frame.

For what it's worth if I was to buy a all mountain bike right now I would get a 650c wheel bike. With that said I would get a Rocky Mountain instinct. The reviews are awesome, the geometry is adjustable and the travel is 140mm front and rear. There will be lots of people chiming in how 26 inch wheels are the only thing worth a damn and everything else is a fad but I call bullshit and I say the haters have never tried anything else. I spent 15 plus years on every kind of 26 inch bike there is and just the last year on a 29er and I will say there is no way I would ever go back. The 29er is faster on every trail I have ever been on. It climbs better and for me is just more enjoyable. From what I see of the 650c bikes it gives you the best of 26 and 29 when you want an all mountain bike. Rocky Mountain is known for all mountain bikes and they believe in it enough to have dropped the 26 inch wheel from their line up.

I'm on a element which has super short chain stays so it climbs well and is easy to flick around. I'm not trying to sound like a Rocky Mountain infomercial but after two treks, two turners and various other crap I've never been happier.

Oh and I agree about Instagram. Between that and tumblr there is no better time waster.
Agree. From what I have been reading 29 is not going anyplace and 650b will be replacing 26" for trail stuff. 26" will still be the choice for aggressive riding like DJ/park, DS, DH, and freeride but I could see 650b entering some of those as well.

I have always liked Rocky Mountain stuff as well.
Old March 30th, 2013, 10:21 AM
giftshopduane
Chris luciano
72 Series 3 88"

Just in case you have unlimited income and want to go rigid, this is a friend of mine from art school, some of the nicest stuff fab'd right now IMHO. and good people.

http://fireflybicycles.com/bikes/mountain-titanium
Old March 30th, 2013, 10:40 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Mtbr.com
Old March 30th, 2013, 12:41 PM
KKilo23
Kenny

Registry
Quote:

Awesome thanks for the heads up.. I will look into Rocky Mountain.

I agree on the 29er. I have been riding a 26 forever as well.. I rode a 29er and was hooked.

As for Corona, I sadly have to venture into the IE once a week as one of our clients have an office there. Luckily it's a reverse commute.

What specifically are you guys following on tubmlr and instagram?
Old March 30th, 2013, 12:46 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

On Instagram I just search random tags like landrover, defender, pussy, etc

On Tumblr I like the following:

http://thepinehurstlandroversociety.tumblr.com/

http://rockymountainbicycles.tumblr.com/

http://chirosangaku.tumblr.com/

http://fuckyeahmountainbiking.tumblr.com/

http://bikemech.ca/
Old March 30th, 2013, 01:26 PM
KKilo23
Kenny

Registry
Quote:
Nice.. yea I am a instagram whore.. I wasn't sure if there were any bike specific ones.

I will check out the Tubmlr sites.
Old March 30th, 2013, 04:16 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKilo23 View Post

Awesome thanks for the heads up.. I will look into Rocky Mountain.

I agree on the 29er. I have been riding a 26 forever as well.. I rode a 29er and was hooked.

As for Corona, I sadly have to venture into the IE once a week as one of our clients have an office there. Luckily it's a reverse commute.

What specifically are you guys following on tubmlr and instagram?
Like other modern things like cars, you kinda can't buy a bad bike these days save for something from a big box store or the most bare bones beach cruiser.

Instagram I follow current and old riding buddies, pros, trail builders, bike companies, riding spots (Cranx Bile Park). Not so much about product but man if I want to get stoked on riding, someone has a pic up of a freshly built jump or berm or of someone roasting over a sick feature at a cool spot.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
mount