Mountain bike advice? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 11th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Mountain bike advice?

Hey guys, I've noticed many of you seem to be in to mountain bikes and I could use some help. My girlfriend is looking for a bike (hers is probably 15 yrs old and beat to sh*t). She came to me for advice and although the Shwinn stingray 5 speed with a slick on the back and sissy bar that I rode when I was 8 yrs old was totally bad ass for its era, I think technology has passed me by....
She really only rides on the countless trails in the hills west of denver. She doesn't ride off cliffs, down mountainsides, or other crazy stuff.
What do you think she should be looking for?
New or used?
Does it need to be fit to her?
Any place in the denver area you would recommend?

Thanks for any wisdom you would care to share!

Rod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 11th, 2006, 04:59 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
buy new from a local bike shop. what is your price range. there are many companies that offer "geometry specific" to women
Old May 11th, 2006, 08:44 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Always get a bike fit to you, its amazing how much a badly fit bike can ruin cycling.

Have her consider cyclocross bikes if she isnt a boulder hopper or cliff jumper. Thats what I ride and I have a set of wheels for road and dirt. A cyclocross bike is basically a beefy road frame with wider tires and canteliever brakes. Great stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 11th, 2006, 09:38 PM
lactic
Adam
'95 D90 SW Arles Blue

Denver mountain biking

I live here in Golden and consider myself a "mountain-bike-aholic" amoung other noncurable conditions. There are plenty of good shops around Denver you could check out but some of the best deals are found on Craigslist. Now I normally wouldn't recommend buying this way for anyone uninformed regarding bikes but I'd be more than happy to steer you in the right direction by searching ads and/or checking out local rides that are for sale.

Drop me a PM if you'd like a hand. (Can use all the karma I can get!)
Old May 12th, 2006, 01:15 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Hi Ron,

My family owns some bicycle stores back home in Texas and I've pretty much been around them my entire life. Here's my advice, and I think you'll hear this from others: support your local bike shop. These are the guys who will be supporting you when your bike breaks. You'll get a professional fit (very important) and you'll get the best bike for your needs. Do not patronize stores whose employees work on commission; they'll probably try sell you more than you need.

I just got my new bike today. It's a Trek Project One Fuel EX 9.5. Yeah, I'm proud. :-)

Good luck,

Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old May 12th, 2006, 09:08 AM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Thanks guys,
I really appreciate the help.
She used to go to a shop in Castle Rock (nearby) to have her old clunker worked on. Too bad they either closed up or moved, they always took good care of her. It would have been nice to support them with a purchase. I guess its a good time to establish a new relationship with another shop.

Thanks for the generous offer, Adam. If we can't find a good shop nearby I'll take you up on that! It wouldn't be a bad idea to have a look at that craigslist anyway just to get an idea of whats out there and what it costs. I'll do that.

Thanks again,
Rod
Old May 12th, 2006, 11:20 AM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Hayward
If we can't find a good shop nearby I'll take you up on that!
Check out Balanced Rock Bike (http://www.balancedbike.com/contact.htm). They're sorta local to you, being in Monument. They even sell a local frame: http://www.monumentcycles.com/ (you oughta like the pic on their homepage).

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old May 12th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

You gotta be shittin' me!
They can't really be building those right in Larkspur. Its a one stop sign town, how could I miss them?
We will definately be stopping in to that shop to check them out. It would be great to be able to support a local company and ride a bike named after something in the area. Hell, I'm all excited now. If they build one with a beer can holder that will keep the beer from foaming all over me, I might just get one for myself!

Thanks a bunch, Chance!

Rod
Old May 12th, 2006, 02:18 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Quote:
You gotta be shittin' me!
They can't really be building those right in Larkspur. Its a one stop sign town, how could I miss them?
Don't get too excited. I think the pic on their page is just that, a pic. I don't actually think they build the frames in Larkspur (although that new pizzeria you guys got is pretty good...) But they *do* make them around here somewhere. Balanced Rock is a dealer for them.

I seriously considered a bike based on one of their frames after I read good things about them. But then, I changed directions to road biking...

Old May 12th, 2006, 04:27 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Hey Chance, if you're into road biking now you must spend some time on hiway 105 -it seems to be pretty popular. If you ever get this far up, I'm about a mile south of Tomah rd. The address is 6990, there's an elk on top of the mailbox. I'm up the dirt drive about a mile, gray house, green roof. If you're ever up that way riding and are overtaken by one of our lightning storms, have a flat tire, or need a cold beer, the door is always open.

Rod
Old May 12th, 2006, 04:43 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Quote:
Hey Chance, if you're into road biking now you must spend some time on hiway 105 -it seems to be pretty popular. If you ever get this far up, I'm about a mile south of Tomah rd. The address is 6990, there's an elk on top of the mailbox. I'm up the dirt drive about a mile, gray house, green roof. If you're ever up that way riding and are overtaken by one of our lightning storms, have a flat tire, or need a cold beer, the door is always open.
Thanks Rod, I appreciate the generous offer! I didn't realize you were right on 105; that's a beautiful area/drive. I bought my old Burbasaurus from a farmer in that area. I've always liked that valley.

Hey, we should grab a beer at the Broiler Room (or O'Malley's) sometime. They have Boddington's on tap with $2 pints from 4-6... Matter of fact, we're heading to O'Malley's tonight.

I was coming down 105 in the 110 a few weeks ago and around where Wolfensberger intersects, there's some houses up on a bluff. There was a guy up there working on a pretty 109. I almost ran off the road looking at it!

Thanks again,

Old May 12th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Great idea, Chance.
I haven't been in that place in a while, I'd love to knock back a couple beers with you. I won't intrude on your dinner tonite (love those grille 'em yourself steaks!), but whenever it works out for you give me a call-303-681-2796.

Yeah, what a great looking 109. I saw it out on the road one day and we did that "Oh geez! there's a 109/d-90 frantic wave at each other" thing. You can tell he gets it.

Thanks again,

Rod
Old May 13th, 2006, 12:26 AM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Quote:
Great idea, Chance.
I haven't been in that place in a while, I'd love to knock back a couple beers with you. I won't intrude on your dinner tonite (love those grille 'em yourself steaks!), but whenever it works out for you give me a call-303-681-2796.
Excellent, I'll give you a call sometime next week. I've got a KP all week as the Wife will be in Hawaii for the next 10 days....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
mount