Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 1st, 2015, 03:09 PM
atpick
Andy
1990 110

Registry
MOT Shenanigans in the UK

I got a kick out of this and thought everyone here might as well. I come back from a no notice deployment to my 110 being lapsed on British MOT and tax. My local shop, Mansfield 4 x 4 says, "bring er' on in, no problem mate, we have guy that does all our MOTs". Fast forward and check out how many things it failed for. Keep this in mind as you read.

1) nothing has changed on the car since last year except I installed new seats
2) I used the existing seat mounts/brackets/bolts which were an exact match!
3) This is my 3rd Defender and has by far the best frame, few rusty spots of course
4) This is the longest MOT failure certificate the guy said he has every seen
5) God bless America and let us strive to keep the government out of the auto standards arena
6) There are exactly 0, I repeat 0 fluid leaks on my 110, reference my driveway
6.1) The guy at Mansfield said "well, the always mark oil leak and steering leaks on Defenders"
7) FML
8) Please laugh with me

Test class:
IV
Reason(s) for refusal to issue Certificate

Nearside Rear Direction indicator not working (1.4.A.2c)

Offside Front Direction indicator not working (1.4.A.2c)

Offside missing lens cover Side repeater incorrect colour (1.4.A.2f)

Drivers seat insecure (6.2.A.1)

Nearside Front passengers seat insecure (6.2.A.1)

Nearside Rear passengers seat insecure (6.2.A.1)

Nearside Rear Statutory seat belt missing (5.1.1)

Centre Rear Statutory seat belt missing (5.1.1)

Offside Rear Statutory seat belt missing (5.1.1)

Nearside Rear door shut Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings (6.1.B.2)

Offside Rear door shut Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings (6.1.B.2)

Nearside Windscreen washer provides insufficient washer liquid (8.2.3)

Offside Windscreen washer provides insufficient washer liquid (8.2.3)

Pump area Fuel system component leaking (7.2.3)

Power steering pump leaking from a failed component (2.3.3b)

Drivers stalk Seat belt insecurely fixed to the vehicles structure (5.2.1a)

Passanger stalk Seat belt insecurely fixed to the vehicles structure (5.2.1a)

Drilled hole behind drivers seat Seat belt anchorage prescribed area is deliberately modified which significantly reduces the original strength (5.2.6)

Nearside Vehicle structure excessively corroded within 30cm of towbar mounting (6.6.6)

Offside Vehicle structure excessively corroded within 30cm of towbar mounting (6.6.6)

Where rear seats are mounted/ rivited Body or chassis has an unsatisfactory modification, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings (6.1.B.2)

Nearside Rear centre section of car Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings (6.1.B.2)

Nearside Front centre section of car Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings (6.1.B.2)

Offside Front centre section of car Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings (6.1.B.2)

Offside Rear centre section of car Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings (6.1.B.2)

Nearside behind rear seats Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings (6.1.B.2)

Offside behind rear seats Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings (6.1.B.2)

Nearside Front inner wheel arch/ chassis Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings (6.1.B.2)

Nearside Front Brake hose ferrule excessively corroded (3.6.B.4e)

Nearside Front Lower hockey stick Suspension arm has excessive play in a pin/bush (2.4.G.2)

Advisory Notice issued

Windscreen has damage to an area less than a 10mm circle within zone 'A' (8.3.1a)

Steering box has a slight oil leak (2.2.D.2e)

All underneath Brake pipe slightly corroded (3.6.B.2c)

Drivers door hinges top and bottom holed Body has slight corrosion (6.1.B.2)

Passanger door top hinge holed Body has slight corrosion (6.1.B.2)

Centre Body has slight corrosion (6.1.B.2)

Offside Front Brake hose has slight corrosion to ferrules (3.6.B.4e)

Both front brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (3.5.1i)

All rear seat mountings are rivited to the body

Oil leak

Front bumper insecure

Cheers,
Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 1st, 2015, 03:16 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
A good size mallet would fix most of those issues
Old July 1st, 2015, 03:31 PM
atpick
Andy
1990 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
So do these items go in a central database,and have to be addressed, or can you go to another MOT inspector that is less of an idiot. -Jeff
Jeff, They are in a central database and all have to be addressed or they won't issue a certificate, which means I can't tax it, which means I can't drive it. And yes you read that right, American servicemen have to pay British road tax which I think is ridiculous. I suppose you could take it to another place, and it may pass since it's so subjective, but I assume they would be able to see in the data base. Last year I had 4 advisories, this year I get Stalin for my MOT inspector....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 1st, 2015, 04:09 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
A remember the anticipation of trying to get my college shit box runabouts through an MOT ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old July 1st, 2015, 04:29 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Do they still reimburse your road tax for one vehicle?
Old July 1st, 2015, 04:37 PM
kimberly
kimberly
1957 LR S1 88"

Registry
Andy, I'm worried about the front bumpers insecurities. Couldn't you bolster 'im abit? It's sad to see a bumper with no confidence. (tongue in cheek dde09)

truly, sad to see the list
Old July 1st, 2015, 05:25 PM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

wow that is quite a list.. take it back and ask them to demonstrate to you the faults ..
yes rust can take hold if its not been used & the electrical connections for the lights could corrode but insecure seats..! balls ..

take it somewhere else.. ask to observe the mot I think they are trying it on in a quiet week for the garage you being a wealthy foreigner an all..

sorry for that MOT we are not all crooks over here..
regards all
Gren
Old July 1st, 2015, 05:30 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

The MOT test struck fear in people 30 years ago when it was only have as tough or half as helpful to the bottom line of a repair shop

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old July 2nd, 2015, 06:31 AM
broadstone
Chris
'84 CSW 90 '74 NADA III '97 CSW 110

Registry
Did they mark up the chassis corrosion in yellow? If so pictures would be helpful. Lot of the other items give the impression of just being loose bolts. Is this your first time getting this vehicle MOT'd since you purchased it? If so it is not uncommon for previous owners to have a really good relationship with the tester which makes it easier to pass. Many of these issues could have been present before your purchase and conveniently overlooked. You can get a complete mot history online with just your reg number and V5 number. It may give some clues as to what it failed on previously.

Just saw you had 4 advisories on the last MOT so I guess you did get the last one done yourself.
Old July 2nd, 2015, 08:32 AM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Mansfield in Bury wasn't sketchy when I used them 09-2012. Richard at Glencoyne in Thetford should be your go to for fixes if you want it to cost less. The rover shop that is over in wicken fen was the place I had my last MoT before moving over. I still had to deal with replacing an outrigger even though I was ok with how it looked. Just because something doesnt look rusty to you doesn't mean it's not bad enough within the limits to the body mounts.

Every MOT I had the windshield sprayer thing and had to get them adjusted for the test.

What year is it? Mine never had seat belts. Once I had a missing seat belt thing but I showed them it never did and they got rid of it. Law could have changed.
Old July 3rd, 2015, 07:09 AM
GunnyUSMC
Eric
1991 Defender 90 200TDI

Registry
That's crazy! My shop down here by Alconbury are very good but they are not Nazis like that. Good Luck!
Old July 3rd, 2015, 11:09 AM
leeds
Brendan
1996/110 TDi

With very few exceptions cars in the UK have to have an annual MOT which is a basic safety/roadworthy test. If your vehicle fails this basic UK annual safety check it is unroadworthy and basically illegal to drive on the UK roads

Now lets have a look at that list of MOT failures.

Indicators not working? A basic quick pre MOT check on lights would have picked those up.

Insecure seats? But seats had been changed so one can only presumed not fastened down correctly.

Seat belts missing? Seat belts have been mandatory in UK for decades. So if missing can only presume not refitted when seats changed. A basic quick pre MOT check would have picked that fact up. Seat belts are a basic safety feature.

Windscreen washer not providing enough fluid? Top up washer bottle? Again a basic pre MOT check should have picked that up.

Towbar inspection is a relatively new part of the MOT safety inspection.

Sounds to me that a very ill prepared vehicle was presented for MOT inspection which had very basic safety features missing such as seat belts.

There is basically no exceptions for not paying UK road fund tax on UK registered vehicle on grounds of nationality or occupation. IF you wish to drive legally on UK roads without paying UK RFL or MOT it is possible. You would need a foreign registered vehicle and can only do it for 6 months before exporting the vehicle.

I have had to get a foreign MOT on a UK registered vehicle which was taxed and MOT in the UK by having a UK vehicle in Australia for 8 months and had to pass the Australian MOT basically on entry into the country.

Want to appeal against an MOT failure?

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...of-appeal-vt17

Brendan
Old July 3rd, 2015, 02:51 PM
atpick
Andy
1990 110

Registry
Well considering I told them to replace the indicator bulbs, replace the windshield wiper and install seat belts that I ordered PRIOR to the MOT, I wouldn't consider myself ill prepared. They called me back today and after I had a chat with one the guys down there and said the spoke personally with the MOT inspector. Everything he failed in regards to the rear seat besides the seat belts was because "he had never seen it installed that way" even though it is completely stock. The "serious modification" to the front seat was the port for an aux heater. Now magically after their chat Mansfield says that if they just do the welding on the frame it will pass.....so shady, so subjective.....I'll save the debate for the ridiculousness of the government determining was is and is not roadworthy for another thread....
Old July 4th, 2015, 02:05 PM
broadstone
Chris
'84 CSW 90 '74 NADA III '97 CSW 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by atpick View Post
Now magically after their chat Mansfield says that if they just do the welding on the frame it will pass.....so shady, so subjective....
I would just be aware that having welding done just to pass an MOT is quite often something very different than repairing correctly to solve a rust/rot issue. Be sure you know what you are paying for so as to prevent doing it again, or having it just look unsightly and obvious.
Old July 4th, 2015, 05:06 PM
atpick
Andy
1990 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadstone View Post
I would just be aware that having welding done just to pass an MOT is quite often something very different than repairing correctly to solve a rust/rot issue. Be sure you know what you are paying for so as to prevent doing it again, or having it just look unsightly and obvious.
Dude, of course it has a rust issue, it's a 25 year old Land Rover that has spent its entire life.....I still need a car to get to work and it still drives perfect
Old July 4th, 2015, 08:12 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Just send to Murica should be worth about 25k in that condition
Old July 5th, 2015, 04:56 AM
leeds
Brendan
1996/110 TDi

So your real beef is that there was a break down in communication between yourself, the garage and the MOT inspector also you have to pay UK road fund tax.

That puts a completely different slant on your first post. Basically the MOT was carried out prior to having the remedial work carried out to your MOT.

I have no idea how vehicle safety standards are maintained in the USA but the UK annual MOT safety check does help to keep unsafe vehicles off the UK roads.

As a matter of interest 20% of foreign lorries entering the UK do not meet UK safety standards and this lapse is causing extra deaths and injuries on the UK roads. For instance foreign lorries under EU law are not required to have the additional blind spot lorries that UK lorries have resulting in extra collisions and deaths on UK roads.

Your contention that the UK government setting minimum standards for road worthiness standards is ridiculous is a completely ridiculous statement. If the basic MOT safety check keeps unsafe vehicles off the UK roads then it is doing what it was set up to do.

One of our daily drives is a 20 year old Defender with 208,000 miles on the clock which has been in over 30 different countries. Our other vehicles also need an annual MOT safety check. Yes it can be a bit of a pain taking them to the MOT station for their safety checks, however we are quite happy that an independent MOT tester has declared roadworthy on that day. A MOT certificate only says the vehicle was roadworthy on the day of the test !

Brendan
Old July 5th, 2015, 05:30 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

UK road fund tax is no more. It died in the last year

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old July 5th, 2015, 06:48 AM
leeds
Brendan
1996/110 TDi

Quote:
Originally Posted by atpick View Post
......I'll save the debate for the ridiculousness of the government determining was is and is not roadworthy for another thread....

The UK MOT is a basic annual safety test on vehicles. Lets broaden the debate.

UK (2012)

Road deaths/100,000 people/year 3.5

Road deaths/100,000 vehicles 6.2

Road deaths/billion vehicle km 4.3

USA (2012)

Road deaths/100,000 people/year 11.6

Road deaths/100,000 vehicles 13.6

Road deaths/billion vehicle km 7.6

The USA has a road death rate of between 2 - 4 times that of the UK despite the fact that the USA has a higher per capita income by about 25% then the UK

It could be argued that the US government attitude to road safety is 'ridiculous' compared to the UK.

Compared to most of Europe the UK has a better road safety record despite having some of the busiest roads in Europe.

It could be argued that the UK and USA are vastly different countries.

So look at one of the US neighbours

Canada (2012)

Road deaths/100,000 people/year 6.0

Road deaths/100,000 vehicles 9.3

Road deaths/billion vehicle km 6.1

Now if I was a US citizen I would be asking the government why they are not doing more about road safety in the US as it is one of the highest in the western world and on a per capita basis is the same as countries such as Bangladash etc

As for the UK Road Fund Tax? Sorry but it is alive and well. The only thing which has happened is that the Road Fund Tax disc is no longer in existence. Paper disc has gone and records are kept on computers. It is checked by ANPR cameras.

Brendan
Old July 5th, 2015, 07:33 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeds View Post
The UK MOT is a basic annual safety test on vehicles. Lets broaden the debate. UK (2012) Road deaths/100,000 people/year 3.5 Road deaths/100,000 vehicles 6.2 Road deaths/billion vehicle km 4.3 USA (2012) Road deaths/100,000 people/year 11.6 Road deaths/100,000 vehicles 13.6 Road deaths/billion vehicle km 7.6 The USA has a road death rate of between 2 - 4 times that of the UK despite the fact that the USA has a higher per capita income by about 25% then the UK It could be argued that the US government attitude to road safety is 'ridiculous' compared to the UK. Compared to most of Europe the UK has a better road safety record despite having some of the busiest roads in Europe. It could be argued that the UK and USA are vastly different countries. So look at one of the US neighbours Canada (2012) Road deaths/100,000 people/year 6.0 Road deaths/100,000 vehicles 9.3 Road deaths/billion vehicle km 6.1 Now if I was a US citizen I would be asking the government why they are not doing more about road safety in the US as it is one of the highest in the western world and on a per capita basis is the same as countries such as Bangladash etc As for the UK Road Fund Tax? Sorry but it is alive and well. The only thing which has happened is that the Road Fund Tax disc is no longer in existence. Paper disc has gone and records are kept on computers. It is checked by ANPR cameras. Brendan

Brendan as a Brit living in the U.S. you are wasting your efforts trying to bring social benefit logic into these debates.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat