Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 8th, 2014, 08:59 PM
aquatiger
S
none

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by d90boy View Post
You would sound much smarter if you knew the facts. The actual cost of the build ( and you can ask mike ) was $297,000.
I agree with IGB. When I emailed ECR about that truck, he wrote me back and said it was $250,000. Unless the price went up somewhere along the line. Maybe it was a different vehicle.

I have the email somewhere Keith.

By the way, I think it's a GOOD thing for Defender owners. It keeps the value of your trucks up high. Just sucks being on my end, Defender-less and looking for a good truck. Someday....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 8th, 2014, 09:16 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
It's crazy right? I always figured Copley bought cars and sold them at the same price. I always figured they were a non-profit charity
Old July 8th, 2014, 09:21 PM
aquatiger
S
none

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
They just write it off! All these big companies...they write off everything!

They need to install an "Upvote" button for comments like these, like on Reddit or something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 8th, 2014, 09:24 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

I don't think IGB is denying Copely's need/right or ability to turn a buck...just a personal reflection on the "value" added for additional premium dollars! Just my opinion...in any event and additional 30k or 300k doesn't stop the world... but this is an open forum...

I do take issue with IGB being accused of not making an intelligent statement about it all as that wasn't necessary...re-reading the thread it would seem the only person that knew the "correct" dollar amount was Mike not the seller...
Old July 8th, 2014, 09:25 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
It's crazy right? I always figured Copley bought cars and sold them at the same price. I always figured they were a non-profit charity
Seriously! You have to figure with their inventory, they don't sell a lot of cars very quickly. They couldn't keep their doors open only making $5K per car. Just my guess.
Old July 8th, 2014, 09:46 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Did I miss the part where any of us - literally, any 1 person on here - is the target audience for Copley/ECR ? Do I have to dredge up the "cheapf*cks" verbiage circa 2013?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old July 8th, 2014, 09:50 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Did I miss the part where any of us - literally, any 1 person on here - is the target audience for Copley/ECR ? Do I have to dredge up the "cheapf*cks" verbiage circa 2013?
Cha- if I had your money I'd be buying one a week...lol

------ Follow up post added July 8th, 2014 08:50 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
Besides...Copley will finance! So it's not like you're reeeaaaallly spending money...
Old July 8th, 2014, 10:02 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post

------ Follow up post added July 8th, 2014 08:50 PM ------

Besides...Copley will finance! So it's not like you're reeeaaaallly spending money...
By "your" do you mean "Bill"? And...did you really just quote yourself above ?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old July 8th, 2014, 10:03 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

it glitched! lol...
Old July 8th, 2014, 10:13 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
Since we're waaay off topic anyway......
We're off topic?
Old July 8th, 2014, 10:18 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
We're off topic?
Are we going to shut down this thread too ?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old July 8th, 2014, 10:30 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Damn Overlords...
Old July 8th, 2014, 10:49 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
MmmmmK

I do not have an issue that he asked the "why is it this much when it cost this much" question, but more, why are we to expect that it's going to be sold for the same amount at a dealer compared to the builder?

We know that's not how businesses work. Copley has an audience looking for the best(as does ECR, but they don't advertise, because they don't need to) Land Rovers and luxury/exotics around the east coast. Dealers just have a larger presence, ECR is too busy to make a chore of selling vehicles. Look at the wait list...

We're talking about a company that sells cars for well over a million dollars, is $30k really that much to ask for on a $300k vehicle?

I understand that this is a free forum and we're allowed to speak our minds, which is a good thing. BUT - should we expect businesses to be running without margin?

When I trade in a car, I know the dealer is likely going to sell it for 40-200% more, there are just things that people would rather not wait for. Some people just want the best Defenders to select from immediately, so they go to Copley. If you have a couple years to build your ultimate Rover, you go to ECR.
Old July 8th, 2014, 10:54 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
MmmmmK

I do not have an issue that he asked the "why is it this much when it cost this much" question, but more, why are we to expect that it's going to be sold for the same amount at a dealer compared to the builder?

We know that's not how businesses work. Copley has an audience looking for the best(as does ECR, but they don't advertise, because they don't need to) Land Rovers and luxury/exotics around the east coast. Dealers just have a larger presence, ECR is too busy to make a chore of selling vehicles. Look at the wait list...

We're talking about a company that sells cars for well over a million dollars, is $30k really that much to ask for on a $300k vehicle?

I understand that this is a free forum and we're allowed to speak our minds, which is a good thing. BUT - should we expect businesses to be running without margin?

When I trade in a car, I know the dealer is likely going to sell it for 40-200% more, there are just things that people would rather not wait for. Some people just want the best Defenders to select from immediately, so they go to Copley. If you have a couple years to build your ultimate Rover, you go to ECR.

Trudat...
Old July 9th, 2014, 07:58 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
At First Citiwide Change Bank our customers ask us, "How do you make money doing this?" The answer is simple: Volume. That's what we do.

-Jeff
We will work with the customer to give that customer the change that he or she needs. If you come to us with a twenty-dollar bill, we can give you two tens, we can give you four fives - we can give you a ten and two fives. We will work with you.

If you come to us with a hundred-dollar bill, we're not going to give you two-thousand nickels..unless that meets your particular change needs.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old July 9th, 2014, 08:23 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
We will work with the customer to give that customer the change that he or she needs. If you come to us with a twenty-dollar bill, we can give you two tens, we can give you four fives - we can give you a ten and two fives. We will work with you. If you come to us with a hundred-dollar bill, we're not going to give you two-thousand nickels..unless that meets your particular change needs.
Damnit, that sounded familiar and I couldn't place it. Had to google it:

Semper Fi!
Old July 9th, 2014, 08:46 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I'm thinking Jeffe watched a lot of television before he started fathering his brood.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old October 23rd, 2014, 04:10 PM
JQ11
JQ
97 Black ST - SOLD

Registry
Looks like she's back up for sale at Copley at $250k this time - on consignment from the last buyer?

http://www.copleymotorcars.com/?show...onvertible-148

One of my all-time favorite ECR builds - running through some trade+cash dreams in my head right now
Old October 23rd, 2014, 04:16 PM
ssi19
scott
1995/D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ11 View Post
Looks like she's back up for sale at Copley at $250k this time - on consignment from the last buyer? http://www.copleymotorcars.com/?show...onvertible-148 One of my all-time favorite ECR builds - running through some trade+cash dreams in my head right now
we've reached ludicrous speed.
Old October 23rd, 2014, 04:40 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ11 View Post
Looks like she's back up for sale at Copley at $250k this time - on consignment from the last buyer?

http://www.copleymotorcars.com/?show...onvertible-148

One of my all-time favorite ECR builds - running through some trade+cash dreams in my head right now
What would make that dream even more bitchin is if it had front and middle door tops too.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
defender