Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 2nd, 2013, 03:32 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
More Mixed Signals about the DC100

So LR Design Czar Gerry McGovern is saying 90% of the 250,000 survey responses they got about the DC100 were positive, and that he hopes the Defender is to Land Rover what the Evoque was to Range Rover:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...ser-production

This comes out after the article from New Zealand where the global PR manager said the new Defender won't look like the DC100:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/life...wn-on-Defender

Is it just me, or does it look like there is a minor crisis at LR after they have realized they delivered an abortion of a design and Gerry McGovern is trying to save his reputation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 2nd, 2013, 04:16 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
How is this for cheapening the brand. The current Autoweek says Tata will shift production of the "full range of rugged Defender replacements in short and long wheelbases and pickups" to India.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 07:57 PM
Michael110
Michael Dickin
1986 110 Tithonus - Now Sadly Sold

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
How is this for cheapening the brand. The current Autoweek says Tata will shift production of the "full range of rugged Defender replacements in short and long wheelbases and pickups" to India.
As an Englishman myself I hate to say this, but its only sensible to produce a vehicle like the Defender in India, especially as the current shape of Defender will no longer meet the safety regulations to be sold new in Europe. Indian manufacture of the Defender will quite likely prove to be a good move for build quality, as the lower labour costs allow more time and attention to detail to be spent building it which can only be a good thing. And lets face it, nothing can be as bad for build quality as the dark days of British Layland ownership. Much as we'd like to see the flat front of the current and past ultility Land Rover continue into the next model, I do not see how it possibly can with modern pedestrian safety regulations. In my view, the challenge for land rover lies in making the new vehicle at least as useable, and utilitarian as the previous ones. The looks of the current and previous models werent as much designed as evolved. In the case of a utility Land Rover the looks are a function of the vehicles construction, not the other way round. Lots of folks seem to concentrate too much on what the vehicle looks like, and not about what it will be capable of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 2nd, 2013, 10:26 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I think you're right Neill. Big Corp politics and Gerry is trying to save face since his team after all is responsible for it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
dc100, signal