Old November 9th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric N
Jonathan, on a side note, I noticed that you have a Blackhawk Serpa holster (from the FN sale post). I'm looking to replace some of my leather holsters and I was looking at the molded ABS - Kydex kind like the Serpa, Fobus, and Mikes. Do you use a Serpa often and if so how do you like it? Also, I have heard some people talking about having the finish on their guns scratched up by these type holsters after just a little use. Have you noticed any extra wear?
The Serpa is nice, but a little bulky for true CC. I don't do any quick draw with it, so I have not noticed any wear. I do like the positive retention though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 9th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Eric N
Eric N
98 Disco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication
The Serpa is nice, but a little bulky for true CC. I don't do any quick draw with it, so I have not noticed any wear. I do like the positive retention though.

I hear you about the CC but, I'm a fatass, so anything on my side is going to stick out like a sore thumb unless I'm wearing a jacket. Could probably get away with it on my back though. I like the retention as well which is why I was looking at them. Looking at the Safariland ones too but, they are about 4 times more money. I'll probably buy one SERPA and one Fobus and see which I like better. All the pistols that I have are pretty much full frame so they aren't real CC friendly to begin with.

Maybe instead of a NOVA happy hour would should do a NOVA range outing some time?
Old November 9th, 2009, 07:46 PM
stu454
Stu
2007 LR3

Good carry guns for newbies:

-a six shot mid frame .38/.357 with a 2" or 2 1/2" barrel (you're less likely to have an unintended discharge with a revolver, IMO)
-a Glock 19 (autos only if you're willing to put in the time necessary to learn to use it)

There are several out-of-production pieces that are great newbie guns. S&W 3953 9mm, S&W M10 or M12 .38 Special, Colt Detective Special, Agent or Cobra are the best IMO.

I can't emphasize enough that autos are not for everyone. Every guy likes to think he's 007, Jack Bauer or John McClain. Sadly, having a PPK, HK USP Compact or a Beretta 92F does not make you a defense badass (I'm proof of this).

Owning a super-duper high speed low-drag tacticool whizbang operator pistol doesn't make you a pistolero any more than owning a Stradivarius or a Stratocaster makes you a musician.
Advertisement

Old November 9th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Gunmaker
Michael Ullman
1995 D90 SW #270

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Winningham
How much $$$?
Jon, I am asking 4000.

Michael

Follow-up Post:

I like the laser. It is easy to just look for the dot and not down the sights, which is the complaint of many. I practice looking down the sights and try to force the issue. That is looking down the sights and seeing my red dot on target.

By the way I have no problem seeing the laser even in bright day light.

Practice is key for sure.

Michael
Old November 9th, 2009, 10:57 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Fawk...2nd amendment right in my corner of Ulster County NY just went from 6 month app easy to 8 months-4 trips to classes, certifications, sign offs, then a court session where a judge gets discretion to choose whether you get a a home gun or not. CC permits? just about *not a chance*. The real bawl buster is that my land is right on two county lines. Walk 5 minutes one way, and handgun permits easy as pie. Since I still dont feel like expending over 1K in fees and a year of time for a *maybe if the judge feels good* , recently got another rifle.

I'm in God's country up here in the mountains, takes cops 1 hr to get to where I'm at..
Old November 9th, 2009, 11:10 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Get one without going through the process....

Remember it is BETTER to be trialed by 12 than carried by 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewap
Fawk...2nd amendment right in my corner of Ulster County NY just went from 6 month app easy to 8 months-4 trips to classes, certifications, sign offs, then a court session where a judge gets discretion to choose whether you get a a home gun or not. CC permits? just about *not a chance*. The real bawl buster is that my land is right on two county lines. Walk 5 minutes one way, and handgun permits easy as pie. Since I still dont feel like expending over 1K in fees and a year of time for a *maybe if the judge feels good* , recently got another rifle.

I'm in God's country up here in the mountains, takes cops 1 hr to get to where I'm at..
Old November 9th, 2009, 11:18 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
1 or 2 year mandatory slammer in the state of NY for illegal poss. of handgun... so not likely would I ever entertain getting one illegally. In my neck of the woods, shotguns are a good thing.
Old November 10th, 2009, 07:59 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Quote:
Maybe instead of a NOVA happy hour would should do a NOVA range outing some time?

Not a bad idea.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 10th, 2009, 08:06 AM
zimm
bart
anyone moves..... #238 sold

Quote:
Lasers are great for letting you know just how badly your hand is moving while your aiming/shooting. I have a factory one on my Walther .40 P99 and I think I use it more for practicing correct grip and trigger pull then I do to actually aim with it.
my father made me put a dime on the end of his 357 snubbie for that. good practice with a 13 pound trigger pull. maybe.... maybe its like giving a child with cold a shot of whiskey and wrapping bacon around his neck. im not sure where half that shit came from growing up.....
Old November 10th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Gunmaker
Michael Ullman
1995 D90 SW #270

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN90
Crazyness! Guns Concealed? I better remember this next time i go across the border and finger people when getting cut off in the Defender!
An armed society is a polite society.
Old November 10th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
I have a North American Arms 22L revolver http://www.naaminis.com/lrifle.html that has been in my safe for years. It was a gift, and I always thought of it as a novelty gun. Just ordered an ankle holster for it. Yes it is a 22, but what a cool backup....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat