money money money $$$ :) - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 19th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Dilks
Derek Dilks
1995 Range Rover Classic LWB BB

money money money $$$ :)

I moved this thread from the "For Sale" section before it was moved anyway..... This question was for guys over at ECR.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilks
I hear your BR110's are going for over $150k. I was just curious why you don't build more of these? If the market's there why not produce more of them..... TLC is supposed to produce something like 24 Icons this year and they start at $100k and there's a waiting list (I know apples to oranges, but my point is the market and people willing to pay these numbers)

I just wanted to follow up on this post. I know most people on this forum wouldn't pay $150k for a finished product (we'll just end up spending it over time anyway building it ourselves) but what does everyone think about the $150k TLC Icons and ECR BeechRunners selling at this price point. If people with wealth and short attention spans are shelling out this kind of money, I'm surprised more independent shops aren't jumping all over this and doing what ECR is already doing. Or maybe I'm wrong and the margins aren't as huge as I think, and maybe most shops aren't doing, or can't do, the quality work ECR does
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 20th, 2007, 10:08 AM
ORover
Fred
NAS 110s #24 and #466

I think it costs more than people think to do it right like ECR. It's a lot like building a nice house, for $200 per square foot, you can have a nice house but if you hire someone to build you a house that is without flaw, it's $1,000 per square ft. The real costs are in the small details. A friend of mine who has a large collection of expensive cars would not hesitate to drop $150k on an ECR 110. It would seem cheap compared to most of his cars. Personally, I think NAS 110's are going to become the classic Ferraris for the next generation.
Old December 20th, 2007, 10:23 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
One of the big lessons I learned when building the 90 was how estimating works for a big project like that. When you spitball project budgets, you tend to think in terms of the big stuff, and then its all the things in between that add time and cost. Since you dont know what you dont know, you cant help but be bitten by details. I never would have guessed I'd have to have fuel tank skid plate mounting brackets made to mount a NAS tank to a 300Tdi chassis - but I did, and it added a couple hundred to the cost and a few hours to the build.

Bottom line is it costs more than you think to do. The other point is not that people here wouldnt spend 150k on a Rover, its just that we can't. I would do it in a heartbeat if it fit in my real-world budget.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 20th, 2007, 11:01 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Lets talk about what some of you folks do for a living and pick it apart and figure out why what you do for a living actually costs customers money and why you actually bill someone and want to make a profit so that you can pay your mortgage and feed the kids.

I want a 1967 Shelby GT500. I can't afford it. I don't complain. I want a 2008 GT500 too, can't swing that either. So I have a regular 2006 GT that I put a blower on and stuff and now I can keep up with a GT500... good enough for me considering I can't swing the real thing.

Price having a Hemi Cuda restored recently? or an old Corvette? or an old wooden sail boat brought back to new?? or how about restoring an old house by paying someone else to do it??

Seriously, start with an NAS 110 that we have to buy in junk condition for 25-35K. Then tear it apart and replace just about everything and pay mechanics by the hour to do that, pay your insurance, workmen's comp, taxes, etc etc and you get to break even and nothing more.

If you do it yourself and do not bill out your hours, don't have to pay taxes or insurances and all of course it would seem like the trucks are costly. Think business class here folks, not just truck plus a frame and a couple body parts. Those who have done it know the cost of all the small parts, paint, details, etc etc. then add in all the business related costs to that.

I run ECR because it afford me a lifestyle that I like. My own boss, get to play with cool trucks and have fun all day instead of sit behind a desk. It is not a money maker. I do it because I rather do this than something that I would not enjoy that would pay more.

I used to run large private motor yachts. I made huge money. I gave it up because the lifestyle sucked (always on call, always at sea for holidays, no home, no dog, etc.)

If the business model was so staggering in profits then everyone would do it. Only a few hard cores do it and it usually because those guys are looking for a lifestyle not a bottom line.

If it was about making actual money and not breaking even I'd be back on boats.

So what do you do for a living? and I'm not talking to those who just collect a paycheck from someone else, you have no idea. I'm talking to those who run their own business. If you don't or have never run your own business you can not speak to what things truly cost.

There are many ways to make money in this world... restoring cars is not one of them.

Guys like Chip Foose make money, but not on the cars. They make the $$ on endorsements. Jesse James didn't get rich on making bikes, He got rich off endorsements, TV and such.

I get to take my first vacation over Xmas. The last vacation I got to take was when I had back surgery. The one before that was in 1996 when a client took the staff on vacation and his dime.

So yup, all the shop you deal with are rolling in money... gimme a break.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old December 20th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Quick - somebody with time photoshop a Bentley around back of the new ECR shop.
Old December 20th, 2007, 11:24 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

The bummer is I had to sell cars to be able to get the new building... but its an investment in the future so its OK.

Right now I'm driving a 1999 D2 with 247K miles that an angry dog ate the interior out of, but it was only 1000.

Its all oh so glamours making the big bucks!!!

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old December 20th, 2007, 11:44 AM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR

Guys like Chip Foose make money, but not on the cars. They make the $$ on endorsements. Jesse James didn't get rich on making bikes, He got rich off endorsements, TV and such.

I get to take my first vacation over Xmas. The last vacation I got to take was when I had back surgery. The one before that was in 1996 when a client took the staff on vacation and his dime.

So, When does the ECR TV show air?!

The one thing that is great though, you managed to turn your hobby into a business that you still love. Most people who do that end up getting tired of their hobby when it becomes work.

Enjoy your vacation and have a merry christmas.
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Old December 20th, 2007, 11:50 AM
lrnasd90
J. Landers
1983 110 LHD Galvanized Everything

I can confirm Mikes answers in more than one way.

My uncle and I have done frame off restorations on 3 Defenders in the past 3 years. Every time you turn around there is some little item that pops up. Like how do you install a stage 3 Allard Intercooler and an a/c system and get it to all work with a Safari Guard bumper and a Warn 9.5 winch, while still maintaining the stock look of the grille. If we where to keep track of our time on things like this and then think about billing it out for shop rates, it would have cost me thousands. And just the parts themselves with the weak dollar is bad enough, throw in labor cost and I would have just spent $100k myself, as it turns out my last truck cost me just about half that. And that was without labor fees. And a lot of buddy deals. No of which you could get if you where running a business.

And on the other front I am a small business owner, if I get to take off once a year for more than a week I am really happy. We work just about every holiday, even Christmas. Our business is open seven days a week 365 days a year. (I am in the Car wash business) So our busy times are when everyone else is off. Environmental laws change every time you turn the corner, water goes up, natural gas goes up....but you still have to stay competitive. So you are constantly crunching numbers, and hoping (because business is not guaranteed) that everything works it way out in the end. But in the end, I still get to wear shorts to work just about every day and I don't have to shave every morning so there are some up sides to it. And it also nice that we over built our warehouse which gives me space to rebuild my Defender.

My uncle and I have actually thought about opening a small rover restoration shop, but after playing with all the overhead numbers, we figured it would be impossible.

Cheers.
Old December 20th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

Ho yes !

I second every single statement on that list !

And I also think no one should have to justify the price of their work.

Thanks Mike for inspiring most of us with fine craftsmanship and help for our rigs. If someone ever mistakes one of my truck for an ECR one, it will be the best compliment I could ever have. Keep setting the standards higher Mike, I will be trying to keep up.

For my part I am a corporate jet pilot and that is what pays the bills. The shop is more for personal endeavors than a money maker. It pays for itself but it doesn't make its fair share of profits.

Happy holidays everybody !

Pat

Kirk Lazarus, Tropic Thunder

color="Red">CanadaOverland.com
Old December 20th, 2007, 11:54 AM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
Lets talk about what some of you folks do for a living and pick it apart and figure out why what you do for a living actually costs customers money and why you actually bill someone and want to make a profit so that you can pay your mortgage and feed the kids.

I want a 1967 Shelby GT500. I can't afford it. I don't complain. I want a 2008 GT500 too, can't swing that either. So I have a regular 2006 GT that I put a blower on and stuff and now I can keep up with a GT500... good enough for me considering I can't swing the real thing.

Price having a Hemi Cuda restored recently? or an old Corvette? or an old wooden sail boat brought back to new?? or how about restoring an old house by paying someone else to do it??

Seriously, start with an NAS 110 that we have to buy in junk condition for 25-35K. Then tear it apart and replace just about everything and pay mechanics by the hour to do that, pay your insurance, workmen's comp, taxes, etc etc and you get to break even and nothing more.

If you do it yourself and do not bill out your hours, don't have to pay taxes or insurances and all of course it would seem like the trucks are costly. Think business class here folks, not just truck plus a frame and a couple body parts. Those who have done it know the cost of all the small parts, paint, details, etc etc. then add in all the business related costs to that.

I run ECR because it afford me a lifestyle that I like. My own boss, get to play with cool trucks and have fun all day instead of sit behind a desk. It is not a money maker. I do it because I rather do this than something that I would not enjoy that would pay more.

I used to run large private motor yachts. I made huge money. I gave it up because the lifestyle sucked (always on call, always at sea for holidays, no home, no dog, etc.)

If the business model was so staggering in profits then everyone would do it. Only a few hard cores do it and it usually because those guys are looking for a lifestyle not a bottom line.

If it was about making actual money and not breaking even I'd be back on boats.

So what do you do for a living? and I'm not talking to those who just collect a paycheck from someone else, you have no idea. I'm talking to those who run their own business. If you don't or have never run your own business you can not speak to what things truly cost.

There are many ways to make money in this world... restoring cars is not one of them.

Mike-

I personally appreciate what you do for the rover community. I see you doing similar things for the rover owners as the early inventors of LR modifications that so many of us run did, despite the fact that someone is always complaining about how expensive the parts are and surely they could be had cheaper. Maybe so, but then no one would have a lift, 3-link, cool bumper, relocated shocks, toyota axles in a rover housing with stronger gears, the list goes on.

As a consumer and a "business owner" within a company I can appreciate the fact that you get what you pay for.
Old December 20th, 2007, 12:10 PM
d90boy
keith humphreys
aka: Mr Fancy Pants

Registry
dont worry mike i appreciate your and the teams work!!!

merry christmas
Old December 20th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR

The bummer is I had to sell cars to be able to get the new building... but its an investment in the future so its OK.

Its all oh so glamours making the big bucks!!!

Looks like you bought one, too.
Attached Images

Old December 20th, 2007, 12:49 PM
mpsteil
Michael Steil
NAS 110#23,97 ST#665

Mike, out here in CA(Bay Area) my wife and I make our living two ways. She owns a bunch of restaurants with here father so I know where you are coming from on what it takes to run a business. Turning a profit is not somthing that comes easy. For myself I buy homes,remodel and sell. I am not a flipper per say because I will spend up to a year to finish a project. I take my time, buy nothing but the best material inside and out,do the best work I possibly can,and pay as much attention to detail. I have never had a problem selling a house even in this very soft market. Detail is everthing. I dont make a killing but I work when I want to,get to take my kids to school everyday and have total control on how I want things done. People who buy the houses when I am done are not in the know of building or remodeling,they just want a nice house and not want to deal with it. A person who knows how to do the work I do would not spend the money for what I did when they can do it themselves. They would buy the house at the price I did and save a ton of dough. Just like people on this board. They see you prices and dont want to pay that premium. My guess would be most of your costumers are not mechanics or people from this site but people who just want a finished product. Just my thought, MIke
Old December 20th, 2007, 01:16 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Well myself, I make change for a living. Got a dollar and need 4 quarters? I'm your guy. Need to break a $100 bill, yep, I do that too.

Whats my secret? VOLUME!
Old December 20th, 2007, 01:43 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Oh yeah, you can loose money on every sale, as long as you make it up in volume.

I grew up in the picture framing business. Thats another one where people think the prices are outrageous and you must be making a mint. No one appreciates that every product that leaves the store was custom-made to order, and that takes time, and we know that time = $$.

Old December 20th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Screw the $ Mike. I envy you because you do what you want to and I bet you enjoy walking in that door just about every morning. That is what it is all about. I am a paycheck collector, but have plans on going into business myself. To me, that is where happiness will be, not just money.
Cheers to you!
Old December 20th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

hmmm... I made a comment this morning about winning the lottery in reference to ECR. I have a hard time believing my nobody comments could insite any anger, but if so, my apologies - I meant it as a compliment. Seeing that burned rover get a new frame, sitting there as wheels, frame and engine... that's cool as hell!

I respect it. I work for the family business, run my own in another area, and my wife started her own as well this year. I GET the stress. I haven't slept well since August, and though I bill out at a nice hourly, I don't see much of that. 4 years of busting my butt to sit mostly behind desks these days and my artistic wife has more earnings potential enjoying her job.
Old December 20th, 2007, 02:13 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

You can't even Imagine what my Biz makes for me!!! Good thing I have a day job to support it

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old December 20th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Mighty
mighty
epsom 110 & stornoway 90

Mike (ecr),

in an effort to change the subject...tell us about your life on yachts

100 plus feet, captain?
where abouts did you travel? Where was home dockage?

just curious....

thanks for setting bar so high and doing the best work around!

happy holidays to all!
Old December 21st, 2007, 11:50 PM
Dilks
Derek Dilks
1995 Range Rover Classic LWB BB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsteil
For myself I buy homes,remodel and sell. I am not a flipper per say because I will spend up to a year to finish a project. I take my time, buy nothing but the best material inside and out,do the best work I possibly can,and pay as much attention to detail. I have never had a problem selling a house even in this very soft market. Detail is everthing. I dont make a killing but I work when I want to,get to take my kids to school everyday and have total control on how I want things done. People who buy the houses when I am done are not in the know of building or remodeling,they just want a nice house and not want to deal with it. A person who knows how to do the work I do would not spend the money for what I did when they can do it themselves. They would buy the house at the price I did and save a ton of dough. Just like people on this board. They see you prices and dont want to pay that premium. My guess would be most of your costumers are not mechanics or people from this site but people who just want a finished product. Just my thought, MIke
I too run my own business and in fact restore historic homes and old buildings for adaptive reuse. Kindof doing for old houses what ECR does for rusted out NAS 110's. So I completely understand the margins. If I didn't have federal and state tax credits to help, I wouldn't make a profit. I'd break even all day. And to my knowledge not many 110 restorations qualify for tax credits I'd personally pay $200k+ for the right rover. I agree these are classics and I don't think we'll ever see them again in the country the way you can buy them new right now in the UK. What a shame. Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Happy Holidays!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat