Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 24th, 2014, 05:03 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post

Yes, Series trucks have much more in common with a Defender than a Range Rover Classic or Discovery 1.

Indeed...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 24th, 2014, 05:10 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
This site seems to have a very unique "community" feel that many other sites do not. I'm not sure exactly where it comes from, whether it be the moderators or if there is just something different about many of the people that chose to own a series or defender. If it's the latter, which I think a large portion of it is, I'd hate for the sense of community to get diluted by some of the grumpy disco owners out there. There are few people that buy a series or defender these days without having at least some idea of what they are getting, and they are ok with the land rover quirks. Some Disco owners on the other hand feel that the whole world is coming to an end because they just paid a shop 50% of their purchase price to replace some spark plugs.
Old March 24th, 2014, 05:41 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrose609 View Post
Sorry. Was just a joke. I'm part Irish.
I guess we know what part

Old March 24th, 2014, 05:50 PM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipgregory View Post
This is Defender Source and I think it is what it is because of the focus on those models and Series vehicles. There are plenty of other sites for Disco/RR discussions. The example given of the hardly used Defender section on DWeb is a good example of why not.
Agree 100%
Old March 24th, 2014, 06:34 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipgregory View Post
This is Defender Source and I think it is what it is because of the focus on those models and Series vehicles. There are plenty of other sites for Disco/RR discussions. The example given of the hardly used Defender section on DWeb is a good example of why not.
I agree as well - yes I own an LR3 because I needed something the wife would ride in - but I also have two Series IIA's and a D-90 and I like to keep the sites separate because of the technical expertise and social restraint that defendersource exhibits.

There are lots of good sites (mostly British ones) that have good information for the LR3 crowd.

Besides we all know that Real Land Rovers have metal dashes (and no synchros on 1st & 2nd)
Old March 24th, 2014, 06:42 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackW View Post
Besides we all know that Real Land Rovers have metal dashes (and no synchros on 1st & 2nd)
POT STIRRER! Burn him! He's a witch! He has the black mark!

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old March 24th, 2014, 07:00 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
POT STIRRER! Burn him! He's a witch! He has the black mark!
I'm also half Irish... the other half is Swedish and German
Old March 24th, 2014, 07:06 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old March 24th, 2014, 07:08 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
I feel like the people coming to this site for the Artwork and Doodles section have been diluting this site for way too long. Abolish the Artwork and Doodles section!
Old March 24th, 2014, 07:15 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

We all own multiple rovers... You can always ask a technical question about any rover. I have a P38, a MK3 and a 90. They all need work. Ask the questions. No sub forum needed.

Old March 24th, 2014, 07:25 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
I'm with Overlander when he said "the first seat memory post will be the end of this site"
I recently took the plunge and bought a MKIII/L322 because Defender ownership wasn't giving me enough reason to get greasy often enough. That and I love making ridiculously poor choices when it comes to reliable, easy-to-own vehicles.

Joined Rangerover.net and while the site is full of very useful people and info, you have to sift through hundreds of "how does my new hot pink plastic wrapped Rangie look?" Posts.
That forum should be petitioned to add a LR3/LR4 sub forum.

Even though it would be easier for me to ask about the ever-failing systems that help the M62 guzzle fuel and how many air leaks did you find/fix last month, I'd rather keep DefenderSource pure. I mean, hell I already feel like us ROW owners crashed the party years ago on all the NAS guys and that's bad enough.

EDIT: yeah Scott, I generally agree with you and if there were an occasional Rangie or LR4 problem I could help solve for a fellow board member, I would do so without hesitation. However if it became the norm you'd find yourself searching through tons of posts.
Old March 24th, 2014, 07:26 PM
myoverlandrover
josh

I vote no over and over again...it's defender source not lr3source
Old March 24th, 2014, 08:05 PM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoverlandrover View Post
I vote no over and over again...it's defender source not lr3source
Old March 24th, 2014, 08:28 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Hunter edition is essentially a defender with power windows locks and cruise control, I appreciate the 14CUX headaches that have been discussed here.
Old March 24th, 2014, 08:30 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Can somebody please direct me to an LR3 forum that is as good (and as busy) as this one?

D1 & DII forums yes, but I have yet to find a decent LR3 forum on this side of the pond.

Forums covering many different models can work (the Pelicanparts Porsche forum is a great example). We would likely get more vendors also?

+1 for a poll.
Old March 24th, 2014, 08:44 PM
goinsurfin
Jayson
06 LR3 HSE

Registry
Try either landroverworld.org or http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/

LRW is dominated by LR3 and 4 owners. D3 owners are typically more experienced with their rides. The UK site is very comprehensive in every aspect of the D3

As a D3 owner that reads posts here to gain greater insight to defender ownership, i too agree to keep D90 as is. You don't want some of the newbie d4 owners asking about tires everyday.
Old March 24th, 2014, 08:53 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
There's an old military adage "when you're everywhere, you're nowhere. Pick a point". It's this forum's focus on Defender's that makes it unique among Land Rover enthusiast forums. It is our core competence. It is the reason that overseas Defender owners come to our forum for questions. It is the reason that members of other Land Rover forums direct people with questions to our forum. Over on Expedition Portal, under the Land Rover thread, I've never seen anyone direct Defender question to Dweb or LR4x4.

When we stray from what makes us niche and expand our user base to all enthusiasts, we make the Defender the minority population just like it is in Solihull now. Look what happened to MTV when they left their core competence of 24/7 music videos and added the Real World. Do we have to talk McLatte's ? Does anyone think that was a good idea? Does Honey Boo Boo have anything to do with The Learning Channel's core competence?

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? It was not I say! LR3's push the easy button and go elsewhere! Here's a bluetooth pairing for you...Manual Seats forever!

------ Follow up post added March 24th, 2014 08:58 PM ------

There will be no Alpaca Leather trim here. I declare this "The House of Moorland Cloth and Vinyl"!

Old March 24th, 2014, 09:08 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
This is what was in my head while I read your last post
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	braveheart.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	91768  
Old March 24th, 2014, 09:09 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
The LAST thing I envisioned then starting this thread was the possibility of turning this forum into DWeb by adding a LR3 subforum. That we do not want. However, if folks want this to be a pure Defender only forum, thinking that ship sailed sometime ago.
We should have the capability to create subforums for members to opt-in to (i.e., the Mud Pit). A LR3 technical subforum (or air suspension technical subforum to include all of LR's newer products as suggested) could be started and the masses who what nothing to so with air suspensions would be none the wiser. However, the large percentage of LR3 owners here could opt-in and share info among the same great group of folks that keep us here (and away from the other forums). The ironic bonus for the naysayers is this very addition should make their experience on D90 more Defender related by removing all of the LR3 threads. But I regress...
Old March 24th, 2014, 09:17 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
I officially declare the 30 year war between black oval and green oval over! Let us form a new alliance against the rising legions of McGovern! prepare yourselves brothers. 2017...it's war!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
lr3, mod