Modify a low miles truck--solicitation of opinions - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 30th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Regarding "use and abuse" as it relates to NAS trucks, something to consider.

As Defenders go, these are the most expensive to repair. Many parts - particularly on the body - are specific to NAS, hard or soft top, '94, '95, or '97. Each year, fewer parts are made, the rest going NLA. Once you have broken something, you will pay a lot to fix it, assuming you can find the parts. Ever seen the cost of fenders lately?

Far too often this what happens to 4x4s. The owner uses it hard until it breaks right about the same time as the new kid, new house, etc. The truck gets parked waiting for repair. It never gets fixed right, and gets dumped off to some kid who tears it up beyond salvage.

If you want a beater, buy an old Wrangler. Tearing up an NAS will be a costly exercise that may be beyond your budget to correct.
Advertisement

Old May 30th, 2008, 04:53 PM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

I am not suggesting that I want my NAS to be a beater, I do repair it and keep it in tip top operating condition, you don't have to tell me about 110 parts, I have one. I am saying that it is not a religious artifact. It should be used for its intended purpose not stuck in a garage to drive to Starbucks on Sunday.

Do you see the market increasing for NAS defenders? I don't, they don't get the gas mileage, the fleet is getting older and when you can buy a brand new Defender diesel for $40K overseas I don't see the market climbing beyond its historic levels for a 15 year old 4x4. $60k is insane for a Defender but what do I know...
Old May 30th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Craigd
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top

Registry
My speedometer on the 95 softop stopped working two months ago with 214,895 miles on the odomoter. The jerking off stopped a long time ago. But I still have the big smile on my face...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 30th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

The values are ridiculous considering these are made new, and are not low volume vehicles as collector cars go. It's just that they are rare in the US - especially clean, like-new vehicles that aren't damaged or boogied-up with TV's in the dash

I drive mine daily and would buy a new wagon, if possible, to go with the soft top. I'm hoping mine will hit 500k one day. It probably could if the parts are still available.
Old May 30th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Thumbs up

[QUOTE=Craigd]...with 214,895 miles on the odomoter.... [QUOTE]

Wow, that's impressive...what's your secret to over 200k miles?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 31st, 2008, 12:29 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

All the mechanicals are available and cheap. Think of how many disco motors are floating around to keep the D90s running. Now if you want to repair your NAS 110 AC, you got some issues.
Old May 31st, 2008, 09:07 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

A friend had an oil fire in his 110, burned up the AC unit and I almost fainted when he told me the cost and hassles of replacing it with the factory unit.

I must say that I like the NAS 110 dash layout and AC better than any other knee buster unit I have seen to date. Why did LR get it right on the NAS and then forget what they learned on the D90s?
Old May 31st, 2008, 11:21 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I just wanted to chime in and say I agree with your philosophy on Defenders 100% Scott.
Old May 31st, 2008, 11:35 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
I just wanted to chime in and say I agree with your philosophy on Defenders 100% Scott.
I guess I am somewhere in between (different Scott). I must admit that my 90 gets grounded every winter at the time of first snow fall, and doesn't come back out of the garage again until Spring rains have cleaned the salt from the roads. That's not to say I don't like to use it though. I'm not a fan of the mud (hate the clean-up, and just not that fulfilling to me), but love to take her out and play on the rocks. But like many others, life happens. I have a wonderful three year old daughter now, and time to get out an play with the 90 has been pretty limited in the last 5 years or so. Hopefully I can get back into the swing of things soon, but I'm not ashamed that my tire carrier is not rusted out, door handles are still the light gold cad plating color, and that it is difficult to find rust on her (most of it is on the bottom of the sliders and rear corner protectors, where they have drug across rocks in the past), since I intend to keep her until I die...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 2nd, 2008, 02:11 AM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered
[/size][/font]
The 110 is an underpowered, leaky, drippy, poorly built, barrel of fun and it will never be a Porsche or a Ferrari and they do not deserve or enjoy that type of pedestal top adoration. They are best when used hard, frequently muddy, dented and repaired on the trail with duct tape and rope. [/size][/font]
Amen brother!! I love my Defender and have no plans of ever selling it but it cant hold a candle to the reliability just about any other utility oriented 4x4. I also agree that they are in their prime when driven hard out on the trail. My 130 ex cells on the trail and has never left me stranded. I dont understand the blind allegiance that some people have toward the marque. It's just a truck.
Old June 2nd, 2008, 02:02 PM
stu454
Stu
2007 LR3

Parking a Defender to protect its value to a collector is like buying a painting and not putting it on your wall.

You are not enjoying it/using it as it was intended by its builder/artist.
Old June 2nd, 2008, 02:16 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
To be fair to the others, they are not saying don't hang it on the wall. They are saying mount the painting in a special case with UV protection and whatever else is needed to keep a painting in pristine condition, and bring it out on special occasions to show guests.

I view it like you have to with a home and kids and pets. You simply have to enjoy what you have, fully realizing that the kids and dog are ruining things, or live a life of misery worrying about every little scratch or bit of dirt tracked in. Yes take precautions and take care of your home, but use it! Or just don't have kids and pets and never throw a party. Where is the fun in that?
Old June 2nd, 2008, 03:08 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
ts.

I view it like you have to with a home and kids and pets. You simply have to enjoy what you have, fully realizing that the kids and dog are ruining things, or live a life of misery worrying about every little scratch or bit of dirt tracked in. Yes take precautions and take care of your home, but use it! Or just don't have kids and pets and never throw a party. Where is the fun in that?
Good point. My wife and I came home from a date a few months ago to find our hallway walls covered in perfect multi colored tiny hand prints. The baby sitter let her guard down for a few minutes and the kids took advantage of the time. Instead of freaking out my wife and I decided that our kids hands will only be this tiny for a short time and that the new hand prints will be a artful reminder for the next few years. Everyone that comes into our house compliments us on what a great idea we had having the kids print the walls with their hands, if they only knew the entire story

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
mod